The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by WarumNicht View Post
    The saddle appears to be a Custom Saddlery Wolfgang Solo with short blocks.
    That's what I thought.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Agree with JackSprat's mom...I think SH's idea is to be able to use (this) exercise to create an honest response, not just 'hope' the horse is relaxed (in the walk or work desired). So using leg yield is an access point to check in that the horse honestly "allows" you to use your aids- not aggressively or in a worried way as he says but in an easy way...here in the walk. The walk will then become relaxed and rhythmic through the horse's acceptance of the rider's (leg yield) aid.

Very hard to get full message from a short video.

Quote Originally Posted by Oranges2012 View Post
    Very hard to get full message from a short video.
    Unless you are paying attention to the positive change in the horse. Obviously the exercise is effective.

I tried this exercise today with my young horse. I found it useful and def made him wait and listen for me and stay relaxed in his work.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    IF the horse is being worked for relaxation then it must remain in the walk until it is relaxed there.
    Dressage by the numbers? I think Hassler is having the horse and rider do what is educational for both at that moment in a clinic situation while providing the rider with useful take-home exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    IF the horse is being worked for relaxation then it must remain in the walk until it is relaxed there. It's rather like doing flying changes, get it and then walk...and walk until relaxation is sustained (10 strides or 10 minutes). Doing endless transitions where the horse is not (allowed) telescoping/oscillating/swinging in the back is contradictory to mental/physical relaxation.

LY is suppling, not engaging.
    But isn't that just the "wait and hope" ride? If your horse is jigging for nine minutes do you just let that go on and on without comment or do you riderect and ask for access? Hey horse, come on, let me ride. Just passengering for ten minutes doesn't do much, and then when you are in a tense situation, where is your "come on, let me ride" button? Horse says yeah yeah, maybe I'll let you when the clinic is half over.

The transition was engaging, the LY was suppling to encourage relaxation and gain access to the horse.

I agree with whoever else said the saddle looked awfully bouncy. Perhaps a properly fitting saddle would relax the horse too instead of BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE all the time.