The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Improving Engagement through Transitions with Scott Hassler

Short video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwv9HGjzyXY

This should be very useful for my mare!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for sharing. I ride many trot/walk/trot transitions in each direction, but I like the added leg yield for relaxation and staying "on the leg" as he puts it.
    "the waist is not a joint" I MUST REMEMBER THIS!

Great video. Thanks for the link.

I've been working on the the T-W-T transitions lately and its been going well, but I'm going to try adding the leg yielding at the walk.

Really nice. Nice soft rider. Nice hands.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Thanks for sharing. I love his teaching style - clear & concise. This is a great example of how exercises improve a movement, without needing to drill the movement. Notice how he redirects the focus (being nervous at the walk) by giving her something else to do. Horse & rider make a lovely pair

Looking forward to seeing him this weekend at Shannondale Farm for a Markel/USEF Young Horse training session. We've got a nice line-up of horses and riders scheduled.

Is this thread an ad ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Is this thread an ad ?
    Why would you consider this thread an ad? There are posts about various trainers and exercises on here all the time.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

So nice to hear someone clear, concise and easy to understand!!
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

What about the walk's need for relaxation?
    I.D.E.A. yoda

1 members found this post helpful.

hmmmm...... i think he is giving a lot of contradictory info... he is now now now but then says relax..... he also doesn't appear to work on the absolute basic of the horse being relaxed and rhythmic.

of course that was a short video, but i have never liked what i have seen with him.

that said, that is a lovely rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Why would you consider this thread an ad? There are posts about various trainers and exercises on here all the time.
    Because the video was taken over a year ago, is now posted, and then the following day there's a post from someone who sounds as if he/she is part of the organizing committee for the upcoming clinic and is promoting the event: "Looking forward to seeing him this weekend at Shannondale Farm for a Markel/USEF Young Horse training session. We've got a nice line-up of horses and riders scheduled."

There's been some question on what is/isn't an ad on the Sporthorse Forum.

I'm still trying to figure it out, so I asked.

Carry on.....sorry to bother....
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Of topic a bit but what type of saddle is she riding in? Its got wings on it like an Australian stock saddle. Never seen anything like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Because the video was taken over a year ago, is now posted, and then the following day there's a post from someone who sounds as if he/she is part of the organizing committee for the upcoming clinic and is promoting the event: "Looking forward to seeing him this weekend at Shannondale Farm for a Markel/USEF Young Horse training session. We've got a nice line-up of horses and riders scheduled."

There's been some question on what is/isn't an ad on the Sporthorse Forum.

I'm still trying to figure it out, so I asked.

Carry on.....sorry to bother....
    Nope, there is no connection between me (who posted above about the clinic in GA) and the original OP. And I was not on the organizing committee for the GA clinic. Nor am I connected with Scott Hassler in any way.

But in regards to "advertising" - the flap on the Breeding Forum had mostly to do with stallion owners posting brags about their stallion or his get. Such brags are interpreted as thinly veiled ads by the moderators, and are therefore removed.

As someone mentioned, there are posts on this forum all the time about this trainer or that trainer - some of which include video clips such as the one referred to in the OP. The posts are usually made by someone else - not by the trainer in question. If Scott himself had made the post, I can see how it could be construed as advertising, but that wasn't the case.

Also - FWIW - last week, I watched Charlotte Bredahl coaching a very, very high level rider on an FEI horse, and she used a very similar exercise in that lesson. It was very effective to get the horse working more through its body yet staying relaxed and supple as it came out of the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bats79 View Post
    Of topic a bit but what type of saddle is she riding in? Its got wings on it like an Australian stock saddle. Never seen anything like it!
    I thought it might be an Orthoflex.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

he is now now now but then says relax....
    I think the idea being relaxed but responsive which is what I would hope we all strive for, a calm, relaxed, forward, and responsive horse.

What about the walk's need for relaxation?
    Thats exactly what he's working on, the horse starts with jigging in the walk, he adds leg yeild to get the horse to engage and stop the jigging and begin to work towards relaxation.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Definitely not an ad on my part! I have zero connections with the trainer or rider portrayed, just saw this short video on YouTube and thought it could be quite useful for my new mare and maybe help others also.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

OMG! That was so good, I could marry that guy, but if my husband minded, maybe he could just move in with us and help me with my four year old. Thanks for sharing that video.

IF the horse is being worked for relaxation then it must remain in the walk until it is relaxed there. It's rather like doing flying changes, get it and then walk...and walk until relaxation is sustained (10 strides or 10 minutes). Doing endless transitions where the horse is not (allowed) telescoping/oscillating/swinging in the back is contradictory to mental/physical relaxation.

LY is suppling, not engaging.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

2 members found this post helpful.

The saddle appears to be a Custom Saddlery Wolfgang Solo with short blocks. It appears to be bouncing off the horses back some...