The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Like many of the other posters, I have deer that come in and graze at the edges of the big pastures I have. (And no, they don't come into the dry lot, or near my house). They have never bothered the no-climb with a board on top. I really don't see how a deer can get caught up in true no climb (vs. the field fence or "page wire" as it is called here, with the larger squares).

1 members found this post helpful.

Where I used to board has stout 4'-5' fences of both tensile wire and board. They are electrified with heavy-gauge wire which is placed inside the fence a few inches below the top tensile wire or board. Whitetails come and go with no problems.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

My softie husband put in a couple of "deer pass throughs" in our four board fencing. The adult deer can easily jump the fence, but sometimes the fawns and young small deer would get stuck when the herd moved on, and it was pathetic. So we have a couple of areas where the deer can go through the fence without jumping, sigh. It is a narrow place with just a top and bottom rail, and all the deer have learned to use them.

They do not seem to bother the horses. However, I had to stop walking my wolfhounds loose on our perimeter-fenced property, especially when there are fawns, which seems to be almost always. It just wasn't a desirable situation.

Apparently the does cycle until they are bred, so we have had fawns very late in the year.

1 members found this post helpful.