The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Follow up to Greenville SC thread

I got great feedback following my last thread on possibly moving near Greenville, SC...

Can anyone tell me this.. i have a daughter who rides a small pony (SS).. we dont own it and would need to lease something or just lesson when we move to SC. I could teach her, but she does better when she has someone else instructing.

We received referrals to Top Call and Jodi Robertson.. any other suggestions on Hunter barns in that area? I would really be looking for someone to teach DD. I like to lesson as well once in a while but cant afford for both of us to lesson all the time.

I rode with Lee Cone while I was at Clemson. Lee was in the Tryon area - don't know if he's still there. It's been a while. Good luck in Greenville - it's a great area!
    Let others know how XC went --
    Post your review on www.crosscountryreview.com!

1 members found this post helpful.

Lee is still around and in the Landrum area - Windbrook Farm. When his daughter's were younger he had lots of ponies around. Not sure if that is still the case, but he is absolutely wonderful with younger riders!
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

Great! Thanks.. Landrum was one of the areas we were looking into. I will check him out.

ditto Lee Cone & ditto Landrum/Tryon

awesome. Thanks.

Lee's an amazing trainer! See him at shows all the time.
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

i looked at his website. Can anyone tell me about his facility? It doesn't say much on the site and there are no pictures. I should be heading to SC this spring to look at houses, so I thought maybe I would visit some farms too.

myalter1 - Don't know about Lee's farm, sorry, but he does have a great reputation here. Go to http://www.tryonhorsecountry.org and sign up at the lower right for the weekly This Week In Tryon Horse Country (TWITHC) email newsletter to learn lots about the Tryon/Landrum area (about 4 miles and 1 state line apart!). GREAT place to live and ride and not too far from Greenville. Also you can contact the publisher of TWITHC, Libbie Johnson, who is also the area's economic development director; she will be happy to talk with you and take you on a personal tour when you come visit.
    Another info source would be Blue Ridge Hunter Jumper Assoc http://www.brhja.com which hosts lots of "pony heavy" shows at Harmon Field in Tryon. We also have a very active Pony Club in the area.
    Good luck and have fun learning about Western NC/Upstate SC. So much horse stuff to do!
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

1 members found this post helpful.

that's great! I did pony club when I was a kid and it was so much fun! i will definitely check out those links! Hubby and I are self employed so this is sort of a big life changing move.. but we have to get out of NJ. WE hate it here. I worry that i will miss my horse friends too much. I guess I will just have to make new friends

Anyone know anything about Emily Wilson/ Wilson Farms in Williamston? Knew her & her older sister YEARS ago - they were good horsewomen (strong PC). Looks like Emily is still active in the area, but I don't see a link - just references to the farm.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Lee is awesome!! Top Call if you end up on that side of town. Also Jeanne Smith at Clearview Farm.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    Anyone know anything about Emily Wilson/ Wilson Farms in Williamston? Knew her & her older sister YEARS ago - they were good horsewomen (strong PC). Looks like Emily is still active in the area, but I don't see a link - just references to the farm.

Carol
    I'm having déjà vu ... Did we have this convo 10 yrs ago? LOL. The Wilson sisters are still around but not really doing horse stuff. Cindy's daughter rode for a while; I've got one of Emily's old pony carts in the barn gathering dust. I was talking to some Anderson,SC friends about the Wilson's recently - cant remember details but seems one for into local politics. Either way - that was the best pony club barn and the horse world would benefit if we had more programs like theirs was.