The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse having random episodes of lameness after being shod. Opinions please?

So since summer my horse has had 3 episodes of a random soreness up front. In the summer it was after a shoeing. Sound for the first day after, lame the next. A week off and he was fine. We assumed it to be a bruise. Then 2 weeks later, we both crashed into a jump and he split his coronary band and was lame at the walk. (Had the vet out) A month later he was sound again. The small horizontal crack is currently moving down his foot.
    During winter break (early january) he came up lame after a shoeing again. Sore in the same foot, 8 days later, totally sound.
    After his recent shoeing this past monday, sound the first day after, lame the next.
    I’ve been talking to my farrier closely, and we are thinking something else is going on in the leg. Right now I am thinking about: navicular, strained tendon, new arthritis in the front (He has arthritis in the hock) or possibly back soreness.
    We are giving him 4 days off. If he is sound (can’t call the vet out for a sound horse), i am going to wait till the next shoeing to call out the vet (if he turns up lame again). If he is lame this tuesday, after the break, I’m calling the vet out to do some blocking and x-rays.
    My questions are: Has anyone had this pattern of lameness before that wasn’t a bruise or abscess? Does anyone have experience with horses that have compensation lameness with hind end arthritis? Finally, with navicular changes, is this pattern of lameness common for this disease? (He is a QH, with good size feet, but it seems the most logical answer).
    Thanks for your time.

I have been told that my QH had a similar problem. His front shoes were making him lame. He gets corns. His farrier figured out a way to shoe him (round shoes with padding) that did not make him sore. When I bought him a year ago, I was able to pull his shoes because I have the set-up for it, and he is so happy on his feet now. When he is trimmed, you can see little "strawberries", that's what my farrier calls, them in the v of the bars of his feet. His is a Dash for Cash QH, and I have been told they have funny front legs. My farrier says he will always have those red marks.
    friend of bar.ka

1 members found this post helpful.

A horse should not be lame after shoeing. If this happens regularly then there is a problem with the trim or the way the shoes are fit or both.

1 members found this post helpful.

have always had the same farrier for the past 4 years. Never had a problem until now. Thats why i am worried. Also it hasn't happened after every trim. Just one in the summer, and recently these two back to back.

Horses can change. People can change too! Perhaps your farrier is doing something different and not realizing it. Just a possibility.

Sound horses can be radiographed - if you want to have baseline views. If there is nothing on them and your horse comes up lame, and blocks to nav. area - you might as well sign up for MRI if you want to know what is going on in there.

Glad your horse is comfy most of the time.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

I hope you have addressed these concerns with your farrier and I hope your farrier is taking them seriously.

He has. He is an excellent farrier and works very closely with my vet. Regardless when he is lame i am going to call the vet out for blocking and x-rays.
    There are just so many options of what it could be: navicular, shoeing problems, Front end arthritis (he has hock arthritis that i manage to an anal extent), microtears in his ligament, an extremely deep bruise, back soreness......

Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced these intermittent areas of lameness for a few days at a time and then have no problem until a few weeks later. The randomness of it worries me.

Unfortunately yes.

The culprit in my horse was sole pressure at the toe. My horse tends to grow a lot of toe and if not carefully reshod, will need his toe backed up alot. He is also flat footed. Backing up the toe on a flat footed horse can lead to too much sole pressure from the shoe until he grows more foot... This should be addressed when the horse is being shod but the farrier needs to know about the possible issue and shoe accordingly to prevent the soreness.

[not an expert, just repeating what happened to my horse]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    A horse should not be lame after shoeing. If this happens regularly then there is a problem with the trim or the way the shoes are fit or both.
    This was my first thought as well. It took 4 farriers to find the one who understood my horse's "special" feet.

I think at this point you should have the vet look at your horse since there seem to be multiple factors involved, possibly x-ray if vet recommends it. If you want to stick with your current farrier and he can be at the vet visit as well, even better so everyone is on the same page with your horse's individual shoeing needs.

Quote Originally Posted by acatizone View Post
    Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced these intermittent areas of lameness for a few days at a time and then have no problem until a few weeks later. The randomness of it worries me.
    Yes. The problem with my TB was thin soles & farriers trimming too much sole which led to multiple abscesses. Once I found the right farrier, no more ouchy feet after shoeing. Only one abscess in 8 months (due to muddy, wet turnouts this winter). The last farrier I dumped was supposed to be one of the best in my state... the last time he shod my horse, I led my poor guy away stepping oh so gingerly on both front feet. Sayonara to him.

Good luck! Chronic hoof issues are a PITA.

I would make sure to get the leg ultra sounded, to make sure it's not a tendon issue...they tend to be vague, off and on types of lameness. If it is a tendon thing, maybe after getting shod, the hoof angle has been changed, and it tweaks the tendon somehow. Or, it could be arthritis in the leg, and the change in height/angle causes stress after being shod.

The are really so many reasons it's hard to guess...maybe you could set up an appointment with the vet a day or so after your horse gets shod, so the vet is there to see the lameness? Then go from there? Or try to get a video of the horse when it's lame, so you can show the vet, even if the horse is currently sound.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Both my vet and farrier will be at the appointment.
    At this point it could be something as simple as shoeing to something more major.
    Keep your fingers crossed for me!