The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bridle for the hard to fit horse

My horse has a small head for his size, he even takes a 4 3/4" bit. The horse sized bridles have multiple holes added and while the bit fits fine, the cavesson does not as there's no more space to add holes.

In my brilliance I decided to pick up a cob sized bridle (used so I'm only out $35). On the largest hole the bit just, just fits and the throat latch doesn't really though it's serviceable. The narrowness of all of it looks great on but it's obvious this is not show serviceable.

So any ideas on a horse sized bridle that runs small? Or should I buy two, one in cob and one in horse and switch out the cavesson? I do NOT have much $ so $300 bridles need not apply.

look at JustBridles.com you can buy bridles part by part or the whole bridle, they have various price points so that would most likely be your best bet
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

That is BRILLIANT! Just found exactly what I needed. Had no clue such a thing existed.

Beval and Edgewood also swap out bridle pieces, so you can "customize" a bridle for your particular needs. In fact, many bridle manufacturers do that.

Sounds as if you need horse-sized crown and cob cheek pieces and noseband. The Ovation at justbridles should fit right into your budget.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Im sure you have already found a bridle, but from my expeience with the "brand name" bridles"

Hadfields: generally fit small. A horse size will fit a TB, oversize will fit a WB. Cob will fit large pony. Their pieces are all very well matched to the average head.

Edgewood: larger fit. Cob will fit most TB's and smaller warmbloods, where a full will fit the average 16hh+ warmblood. The oversize is for the giants. Also, like hadfields the bridle has good overall fit.

Vespucci: larger fit, simialar to the edgewood. However, throatlatch seems to be mismatched on all sizes (throatlatch runs very large).

Aramas: fits a little smaller than the edgewood line, but larger than the hadfields. Nosebands tend to run a little larger than the rest of the bridle, but not by huge amounts.

1 members found this post helpful.

Definitely love JustBridles! I ordered a mismatched Red Barn when they first opened and I had fantastic service! Bridle is also gorgeous, I have the Fusion and have gotten tons of compliments on it.

I also agree with the above poster re: Vespucci's. I have a 17.1 beast who wears oversize everything and he fits into the Full sized Vespucci great. Quality is definitely a little dodgy on the Vesupucci and if you are ready to spend that much I definitely recommend an Aramas or Red Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Im sure you have already found a bridle, but from my expeience with the "brand name" bridles"

Hadfields: generally fit small. A horse size will fit a TB, oversize will fit a WB. Cob will fit large pony. Their pieces are all very well matched to the average head.

Edgewood: larger fit. Cob will fit most TB's and smaller warmbloods, where a full will fit the average 16hh+ warmblood. The oversize is for the giants. Also, like hadfields the bridle has good overall fit.

Vespucci: larger fit, simialar to the edgewood. However, throatlatch seems to be mismatched on all sizes (throatlatch runs very large).

Aramas: fits a little smaller than the edgewood line, but larger than the hadfields. Nosebands tend to run a little larger than the rest of the bridle, but not by huge amounts.
    Thank you so much! That's what I was looking for, before I new such a thing as buying piecemeal existed. I love hadfields, had one for my Arab back in the day. Heck I was thinking of maybe getting a custom Amish one at some point.