The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Windpuffs query, please help urgent!

Hey guys, I'm new to this form so not sure how it all works.

My horse has had what I think is a wind puff on his rear left hind on the outside of his tendon (not on the actual tendon, but in the same area). It isn't too big and it goes down if you squish it/exercise him. It's never caused lameness and has never been hot. I think it was maybe from kicking his stable but I'm not sure. He does wear magnetic boots at night. The vet checked it out months ago and said it's nothing to worry about. Anyway, in the past say 2 weeks it's developed this strange hard bone-like ridge at the top of it, which I have no idea what it is. It's about half a cm thick and about2 cm long... The vet is coming later today to ultrasound it. It isn't causing lameness and definitely no pain when we touch it.

In the meantime, I was just wondering if anybody has seen/heard of this? The ridge forming that is. If so, please let me know what it turned out to be/treatment (if any) and how it turned out. Thanks x

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Could it possibly a skin issue like scratches or mud fever? That would thicken the skin into a crust. I had a gelding who was kept squeaky clean and stil managed to get the crud.
    Windpuffs are extra bursal fluid that form due to some wear and tear on some horses joints. They dont look great but as a rule are a purely cosmetic thing.
    Good luck, let us know what turns up.

I'm not sure but could it maybe be caused by his boots that he wears at night? I've never used Magnetic boots so i'm unfamiliar with how they fit, but maybe they are rubbing him or causing and irritation of some sort? Just a thought. Good Luck!!!

Could it be a splint is forming?

What is urgent about a windpuff?

Depending on the area, might be a splint bone. Does he wear boots all night, every night? Maybe he's getting some swelling and irritation from those.
    Click here before you buy.

Does the ridge move with the skin, or does the skin move over it?

Does the swelling pit?

Is the ridge vertical or horizontal?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).