The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Badminton 2013

Just got my tickets for Badminton today!

Anyone else checking Badminton off their bucket list this year?

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

Yes, me!! Very excited and hoping that work cooperates so I can actually go! Have two trials scheduled for beginning of April but should be done before May. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    Yes, me!! Very excited and hoping that work cooperates so I can actually go! Have two trials scheduled for beginning of April but should be done before May. Fingers crossed.
    By trials, you must mean court trials, not horse trials. I sure hope you get to go to B. I've been dreaming about going for about 20 yrs and am very excited that it's finally happening...just as a spectator of course.

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

Black Points, are you using a travel service to make arrangements for you? Or are you winging it? I've thought about going to Badminton or Burghley but have zero experience navigating the area.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Correct. The boss does not look keenly on me playing hooky for a horse show when we have 'real' trials to contend with (as opposed to horse trials which are much more fun!).

Not to mention that it would be pretty impressive if you managed to compete at horse trials that lasted through April and into May!

You just need to be free'd up by May 1 and we are good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Black Points, are you using a travel service to make arrangements for you? Or are you winging it? I've thought about going to Badminton or Burghley but have zero experience navigating the area.
    I live over in the UK, so happy to help with suggestions if I can. I've been to Badminton a couple of times, once I commuted from where I was living and once we stayed a bit closer. If you fly in to Heathrow you can take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station (£16? one way, there are cheaper but less direct ways) but then from Paddington you can get directly on a train out to Chippenham or Swindon which are relatively close. You'd need to rent a car, so you could do that there or alternatively rent one at Heathrow. It's probably an hour and half drive from Heathrow out to that area.

The Badminton website does have a list of places to stay, but I seem to remember them all being booked out really quickly. Another place to look is http://specialplacestostay.co.uk, which does a variety of price ranges but all of a decent standard, everything from B&B's to hotels.

Burghley is a bit further away from Heathrow you could either drive 3-4hrs? or take the train from London to Peterborough, but you'd have to cross the city to get to the right train station (King's Cross I think). Stamford, the town Burghley is in, does have a train station and it is relatively close to the house, but I don't know how it connects. If you want to have a play around the UK rail site is http://nationalrail.co.uk.

Not sure if that helps at all, but have a great time if you do decide to go! Fingers crossed for the weather this year!!

I wish I was going!! I went in 2011 when I was doing a junior year study abroad in the UK, and it was easily the highlight of my trip (and one of the highlights of my riding life!).

I relied on public transport which ended up being quite easy and bought a camping pass, which was so fun!! Of course the weather in 2011 was absolutely perfect, so I'm not sure how camping would have worked out in 'regular' British weather, but it was certainly the perfect situation for me that year, as I could easily walk to and from the event each day and didn't have to worry about additional transport.

I found all my souvenirs from my 2011 trip (including Mary King's autograph!) just last night as I was doing some major reorganization in my room. It was definitely bittersweet to pack them away into storage I'd love to go again someday.

Quote Originally Posted by KMErickson View Post
    I relied on public transport which ended up being quite easy and bought a camping pass, which was so fun!!
    I hadn't thought of the camping option! My now husband (boyfriend at the time) came with me so I thought I was doing pretty well to get him to enthusiastically agree to go. Camping might have been pushing my luck.

This always amuses me, but the other way people seem to get to Badminton is by helicopter. One of the years I was there they were still running the long format and we went over to watch the steeple chase which happened to have the helicopter parking next to it. There was a family having a picnic lunch outside their helicopter with the pilot hanging out in the background.

Ah sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    No travel service. We have friends who own a B&B and riding stable in Stanton near Broadway in the Cotswolds. We are renting a car and driving in each day. I hope it's not really, really bad traffic.

We've been to Burghley twice and we just found B & B's from calling places on the Burghley website. If the place I called didn't have any room, they could usually give me another name to call. Both times, we were close enough to walk to the grounds. It was a blast as we were part owners of the horse running.

We always fly into Heathrow and rent a car and drive to wherever we are staying. My DH doesn't mind driving over there and I am happy to let him. I already have a good-sized shopping list for May