The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Voltaire saddle sizing

I have been working with Amandine (Miloute55), who works for Voltaire Design, to find a used Voltaire saddle. I have one being sent to me for trial. I posted a thread recently about saddle sizing for the rider (5'6", long from hip to thigh, 3 less than stellar fitting saddles). I had a 17" Beval Natural, with a regular length forward flap that fit best, a 17.5" Flat seat CWD with a long, standard forward ness flap that came in second and a 17" Amerigo Vega with a regular flap that came in 3rd. I'm getting a 17.5" Voltaire with a 3 flap to try. So my question: how have you found the seat sizes to run?

Thanks in advance! I'll post pictures of myself in the saddle when it gets here next week.

No idea as I won't allow myself to sit on one and then have to walk away with a broken heart.
    Good luck finding one that works for you. Everyone I know that owns a Voltaire LOVES it.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am really looking forward to trying one, as I've never sat in one either. This is a really good deal on this saddle, so I praying it works. I'm kind of in between seat sizes, so I'm not very hopeful it will fit. I really would have liked to try an 18" seat, but right now this was the only one in my price range. So.....fingers crossed!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a 17.5" Palm Beach. That is the same size that I had in Devoucoux. However, when I ride in my friend's Devoucoux now after riding in my Voltaire for almost a year, it seems quite large, so maybe the Voltaire's run a hair small. This Devoucoux has a very deep seat so that could be part of it too - hard to compare the two really.

Love Love Love my Voltaire -

I tried it telling myself that it would have to be "the one" to even consider buying it - and boy was I in trouble.....

I found they ran a bit small. I'm a 17.5 in a Devoucoux, Antares, or Luc Childeric, but when I sat in 18.5 Voltaire I found that it wasn't that big, and I probably would've fit well in a 18.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Just saw a Voltaire 18 in I think 4 flap on FB, for $2200. Course I can't find it right now but if I do will share the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    Just saw a Voltaire 18 in I think 4 flap on FB, for $2200. Course I can't find it right now but if I do will share the link!
    Thanks, MayaTy! I know of an 18.5 for sale, but an 18" might end up being what I need. Looks like the 17.5 from Voltaire should be here Wednesday, so I'll know by the time I ride in it Friday if I need another size. Which I'm pretty sure I will.

Thank you, everyone for your help! Now I'm just waiting (very impatiently) for the saddle to arrive.

ugh I cannot find that listing, was on one of my FB groups as I was just idly passing time and I have searched al of them to no avail. will keep looking, it was just a few hours ago

I think I posted on your other thread- I have a 17.5 3A flap. I'm almost 5'9, the seat feels a little snugger than the CWD and Devoucoux I had in the same size, but it looks and feels fine. I tried the 3 flap but needed a more forward cut for my freakishly long femur.

yeah foudn it! it's on the Bits and Barter FB page... (sorry I got the price wrong
    ‎2011 Voltaire Calgary Jump saddle. 18" seat, and size 4 flap (equivalent to CWD 3L flap), with medium tree. Pro panels fit a variety of horses. Saddle has very little use. Comes with Voltaire saddle cover. Leather, stitching, and billets are all in immaculate condition. Saddle made of calf leather. Sells new for $5,000 asking $2,700. Used only 12 times !!! Can easily ship! Pm for more photos and info

Thank you so much, MayaTy!