The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tribute Feed vs Triple Crown

A friend recently brought it to my attention that the Tribute horse feed is comparable to Triple Crown and the price is roughly 4$ less a bag. What is your opinion on this? That is a big savings over time and I'm interested. I have concerns that the quality won't be the same and my horses will be lacking in their diet. I am a breeder so the necessity of balanced nutrition is imperative. I currently feed Triple Crown senior to my whole barn which ranges from foals to five year old horses. (I was told by the TC reps that senior and growth are nearly identical.) I'd like a feed that is as similar to that as possible. The number of feeds that Tribute offers have my head spinning. Can someone offer insight into a comparable Tribute feed? How is it that Tribute can offer their feed at lower prices? I'm very happy with TC and won't change If there isn't something out there that's very comparable. But the price break would sure be wonderful. I can only get triple crown, blue seal, tribute, and purina in my area and I will not feed purina. Thanks all for your help!

Tribute makes good feed. I use their Essential K in the summer when we can get by with a ration balancer/fewer calories. But in the winter I still go back to TC Senior. There is not really a great equivalent out there, from what I can tell. Tribute does make a Maturity feed for seniors, but I believe it's high-ish in NSC. Over 20% if I recall correctly, but don't quote me on that...it's been awhile since I did the research.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I have talked with a very kind nutritionist (Dr. Dan Burke, Ph.D) for Tribute and he was more than pleased to answer my questions and seemed pretty adamant with area barns that feed Tribute to do a pasture and hay analysis to help establish which Tribute feeds was most appropriate.

I don't know the TC vs Tribute comparison, but the openness to info I received was pleasing (vs just getting a sales rep info). Maybe drop a phone call to Tribute and see if you can talk to a nutritionist?

I LOVE Tribute feeds for a number of reasons.

My picky horses readily eat it.

They look great on it. Dapples, soft, shiny coats. Great feet, even on the ones with previously blah feet. One is able to go barefoot 100% now where before he was gimpy on hard or rough ground even with shoes.

The formula is what it is. They don't change it based on ingredient availability or price. This means the price per bag fluctuates a little ($1 or less from month to month), but I know my horse is eating what I want him to, not just what the feed company could get to fit a fixed price.

It's a small company with an awesome staff. Melissa Drew is fantastic if you call and talk to her about which product fits your horse best. Dr. Dan Burke is the nutritionist and is even more fantastic than Melissa. He's also happy to talk to you about what is best for your horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

I too, feed Tribute feeds. I love it! Have been feeding it for 6+ years now. Dr. Burke is AWESOME!! When my mare was so sick, he sent me diets and feeding plans to meet her needs, it was fantastic. They have tested my hay and built the feeding plan around it. I'm VERY pleased with their feed. I used to feed Buckeye, and before that, Blue Seal... and in my experience, nothing compares to the Tribute. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I feed Kalm Ultra and Essential K. My horses look great, and feel great!!

Can't give you a comparison to the Triple Crown, but I second calling and talking to Dr. Burke, or just shoot him an email... he's a terrific guy and a wonderful resource! Very knowledgeable.
    Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - "My Horse, My Heart <3"

1 members found this post helpful.

I am feeding Triple Crown Senior right now, but only because I can't readily get the Tribute line of feed. When on it, my horses looked absolutely fantastic and they really liked the feed.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

I'm the odd ball out-- I was disappointed with Tribute. I boarded at a barn for 10 months that fed it. The barn owner sang it's praises, and it looked comparable to the Buckeye products I was feeding. My horses received Essential K and my mare also briefly was on some additional Kalm N EZ.

I'm glad starrunner, Candysgirl, and Liscar were able to speak to their nutritionist, because I was unable to ever get any answers from the company on straightforward questions-- like, "how many calories per pound is your feed?" or "does xxxx product contain corn?" Not a single email or phone call was ever returned.

My horses did not thrive on it. I was very unimpressed, and kind of surprised because the feed receives generally good reviews. In my opinion, I'd rather pay the extra $4 for a (much) higher quality product like Triple Crown.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I'm not sure if tribute even has a feed that's equivalent but I'd only change with the assurance that something was just as good or better. I definitely wouldn't want high starch or NSC values in whatever you choose.
    Last edited by About Time; Feb. 4, 2013 at 09:45 PM.

Short answer no they do not have a feed like tc senior. But call the rep to be sure. I fed tc complete to my racehorses for a while, then race ready. Now I feed the tribute line to everyone. Even my hard keepers have picked up on it and I'm very happy. I feed performance advantage to the racers and select few at the farm, as well as their "mid level sweet" and kalm ultra. I love essential k as my old stallion has been thriving on that and the ultra. I switched because of the price and the fixed formula, I had gotten bags differing in look due to the corn prices from the other companies and it concerned me. In regards to tribute- every bag looks the same.
    When I was switching I called my rep and she brought printouts of all their feeds on a sheet and also printouts of my current feeds. I compared. And switched.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Does anyone know where I can find the NSC values for the Tribute feeds? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
    Last edited by About Time; Feb. 4, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Not comparable! The $4 difference in price indicates this. I have sold both products and Triple Crown makes a better product. Compare tags side by side and you'll see the differences!

My horses did fantastic on the Kalm Ultra. I switched feed guys and got TC and was disappointed. My horses dropped weight and I had to feed a ton of it. (Mild weather, same hay.) So I had to switch again. I would just call both places and just choose what is best for your heard...saving $4 a bag always sounds great...feed has gotten so pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    I will have to give them a call.
    Does anyone know where I can find the NSC values for the Tribute feeds? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
    I asked and asked and asked that question and never got an answer from the company... hopefully someone else who got to speak with their nutritionist knows!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I sent an e-mail to Dr Burke asking for NSC values yesterday and got a long and thorough reply in less than 24 hours. Very helpful! I was given values for Kalm N EZ at 14.5%, pelleted maturity (senior feed) at 18%.

I would say for anyone with nutrition questions with Tribute, just email Dr Burke directly. dan.burke@kalmbachfeeds.com

I also have the feed catalog with all of the ingredients listed, so sorry you weren't able to access one of those Texarkana. They have a fixed formula and just one plant, so controlled consistency is what I've found.

Default Tribute Kalm Ultra and Essential K NSC %

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    I spoke with Jess today from Tribute....the Kalm Ultra is around 25% NSC, Kalm Performer(textured) is around 26% and the Essential K is right around 14% NSC

I went to some lectures that Dr. Burke did at a vet convention last week, One was in regards to feeding high fat diets to performance horses. It was very interesting.

I've started to switch my horses over to the tribute line. The problem is, my horses m (3 out of 7) don't like the ration balancer Essential K. This is mainly what I need from tribute because my horses are all quite plump and all I want is the nutrition from this low calorie nutrient dense feed. I do mix it with tribute's kalm n ez. They do seem to like that feed. I'm thinking I will just have to stick with triple crown. Bummer because I travel a half hour to buy TC and the store that sells tribute is only 5 miles away.

I think Tribute feed has simply the best quality control out there. A few years ago we had a sick horse and she had been on this and we used it again and I got to talk to their actual scientists. If I could get it here in NY, there is no question in my mind that I would feed their Kalm N Easy. I think it is superior. It smells good too.

I just picked up a bag of Tribute Right Choice textured 12% for my new Ottb mare who was being really picky...she didn't like TC Senior..not crazy about complete anymore, and didn't care for Pennfield Fibergized omega or Nutrena Black bag...but she loves this feed...licks bowl clean!

Just wanted to update you all that I did officially make the switch to Tribute feeds and I'm super happy with it so far. I feed most everyone Kalm and Easy and a couple get Kalm Ultra for the added fat. Everyone looks amazing and They're eating it well.