The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    . . .

I think the point Laurie is making is that each horse is different and telling someone they will not need that much grain might be inaccurate depending on their horse and what their horse needs.
    Yes to this. Snort is eating 150 lbs of Senior ($22 a bag at SS here) every four weeks, plus 160 lbs of tim pellets ~ methinks BO is going light on the hay which she pays for, but I've seen how he stomps in it and mucks it up so I don't blame her. Pony is living on forage so I don't spend a dime and he's still a fatty.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I use more bedding in winter than in summer, but it depends on the horse. How is hay fed when they're out and what shape is the pasture in during spring, summer and fall. Will you have to supplement during turnout all year long or just in the winter?
    Im not sure how he would do hay since Im the only border AFAIK with this deal, last year pastures everywhere were crap so Im guessing some grass mostly weeds, but its a big space, may be turned out with another horse he is a good foal sitter.

Thinking have BO provide forage & I do grain/bedding that can be fed in stalls or on fence, he wont leave his feed.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

It's safer to over estimate the amount of hay and bedding you will use. Especially if you live in an area that rains quite a bit in the spring, and gets too dry for grass in the summer. It goes WAY quicker than you think, lol.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Ainsley your right, it rains here until about June then hit or miss, sometimes lots of rain in summer or dry as a bone When he was turned out before there was nothing to graze on but he walked anyway, they fed him just fine.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

You might look into a slow feed net (small hole hay net) to lessen waste and save on hay.

The only hay left when he eats in is the weed stems, its really fun to watch him get EVERY bit of hay he is given. Maybe its a QH thing, another QH in this barn hoovers to pretty cool really.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    My guy eats 12 pounds of senior per day! He would waste away to nothing on 3 bags a month.
    They are all different.

Spy (rising 31) gets 12 lb of TC Senior, plus rice bran oil, a day.

Music (rising 27) and Belle each get about 2 pounds of TC Lite a day.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I spent 2.5 years at a barn with partial care. I cleaned, I bought my own hay, they fed.

I had storage for 40 or so 110 pound bales (so a few months worth for two horses). Nobody ever used my hay. It was still a total PITA buying my own hay!

The prices fluctuate, and I'm in CA so a 110 bale or so was running between $16 and $21 a bale. The feed store tacks on an extra $1 or so a bale for delivery. The delivery guys NEVER stacked it right, even when I left little charts depicting where all the hay should go!

I am SO much happier paying more at a full care barn. My BO buys gorgeous hay, and it is much less stressful!

As long as the BO feeds the right amount for your horse, you're better off in a full-care situation. However, if the BO only feeds X amount, and your horse needs more, you're better off paying for hay and feed yourself, so there's no complaints. Your horse sounds like a typical easy-keeper QH.

I think he eats more than most QH for not being worked hard now, hes a bit thin with th cold weve had. Hes big for a QH to.

Lola your right, I had a hard keeper in a barn that fed x amount and I spent $150 easy on other feed a month but BO really didnt feed that good quality a feed for arab x.

If I go to this barn it will be for full care, Ive decided. They provide it for all others so I will payfor it. Thanks all.