The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How much in horse supplies?

For diffrent reasons Im thinking about moveing barns, a local place has said $x a month (pretty cheap) and by own bedding & feed. Place takes good care of horses & has everything I want.

Ok, so now how much will this cost me, I have a teenager QH about 1100 lbs, I guess.

Bedding-in 12/out 12 weather allowing--Im thinking 2 bags of shavings/pellets a week, about $50

Hay --$6 a ~40 lb grass/mix bale, probably use 20 bales a month, about $120

Senior feed-hes in medium work esp once warm weather hits, so ~3 50 lb bags a month, about $60

(I could do less grain & by hay pellets or cubes but hes in good weight and condition the way he is, I would keep going with that.)

Am I pretty close in amounts of stuff-bedding, hay, feed? I know prices can change or be different where you are but Im just wondering if I can afford to move him.

Thanks.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Don't forget to factor in the time and stress you will spend dealing with hay and feed. Finding it, transporting it, stacking it, worrying about it getting wet or getting "appropriated" and fed to a different horse.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

2 members found this post helpful.

Not sure about bedding but I am at a co-op at my expenses stay fairly stable year round:

Fescue/coastal mix fed in stall and to supplement pasture as needed runs $8 a bale and she eats 6-10 bales a month ($48-80).

Goes through 4 bags of TC senior in the winter ($90) and 1 bag of Buckeye Grow n' Win in the summer ($40).

Mare is 1,300 lbs 16 hands and a moderate keepers out on pasture 12 hours a day.

Unless you have limited/no grass I think that you might go through less hay.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Not sure about bedding but I am at a co-op at my expenses stay fairly stable year round:
    lol....expenses stay stable year round....pun intended?

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think you are too far off, I might calculate a bit more bedding depending on the horse. However, I agree with wsmoak's point to consider the logistics of supplying and storing your horse's bedding, hay and feed. It's one of those things that doesn't seem like a big deal, but horses are inflexible in their eating habits.

Bedding: I pay $6.49 per 40 lb bag of wood pellets, and use 2-3 bags a week.
    Hay: $5.50 per bale grass hay
    Senior feed: The prices have gone up due to the drought. I pay $25 per bag of Triple Crown Senior Feed. Check with your feed store on your brand.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I might just peek around to see exactly how they use the things you are paying for. IE-do they dump hay outside on the ground where other horses can get to it, it might blow away or get trampled in the mud? Do they pick through the shavings or just shovel it all out? Since they aren't paying for it, they might not care so much about making waste of your supplies and your costs could go way up. Just something to look at.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I see a lot of "you supply feed" boarding barn listings on craigslist, and I've always just assumed that's how those people feed their horses. You bring the hay, they feed it to your horse.....and their horses. Perhaps I am overly cynical.

At the very least, what BansheeBreeze brings up is a very good point. I'd also consider the other boarders. Are they all trustworthy, or is someone likely to use your stuff?

I don't think I would ever buy hay and shavings unless it was totally self care. No one takes care of your stuff like you.

2 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I use about two 40# bags of pellets or one bag shavings - 4cu ft - per week for a 12X12 stall.
    I like my stalls kept fresh, but I don't bed deep.

The 3 bags of feed sounds high to me - 150# of feed for one horse in a month?
    A 50# bag of whole oats lasts me 2 weeks feeding one horse (17h+, 1300#) and one pony (12h 500#). Same mileage when I fed 50/50 oats and a pelleted feed. So 100#/month for my two.

Hay in a 40# bale would last me 1-2 days depending on how much grass was available. I feed less in Summer, more in Winter.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I use about two 40# bags of pellets or one bag shavings - 4cu ft - per week for a 12X12 stall.
    I like my stalls kept fresh, but I don't bed deep.

The 3 bags of feed sounds high to me - 150# of feed for one horse in a month?
    A 50# bag of whole oats lasts me 2 weeks feeding one horse (17h+, 1300#) and one pony (12h 500#). Same mileage when I fed 50/50 oats and a pelleted feed. So 100#/month for my two.

Hay in a 40# bale would last me 1-2 days depending on how much grass was available. I feed less in Summer, more in Winter.
    My guy eats 12 pounds of senior per day! He would waste away to nothing on 3 bags a month.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    Don't forget to factor in the time and stress you will spend dealing with hay and feed. Finding it, transporting it, stacking it, worrying about it getting wet or getting "appropriated" and fed to a different horse.
    I work/live close to feed store--hay is problem. No truck/trailer
    Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Goes through 4 bags of TC senior in the winter ($90) and 1 bag of Buckeye Grow n' Win in the summer ($40).

Mare is 1,300 lbs 16 hands and a moderate keepers out on pasture 12 hours a day.

Unless you have limited/no grass I think that you might go through less hay.
    Grass 6 months if lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    Senior feed: The prices have gone up due to the drought. I pay $25 per bag of Triple Crown Senior Feed. Check with your feed store on your brand.
    Local SS is $19. Move here lol

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    At the very least, what BansheeBreeze brings up is a very good point. I'd also consider the other boarders. Are they all trustworthy, or is someone likely to use your stuff?
    Never done anyhting like this, this is a training barn that needs stalls full. Plus he sold me horse! lol No matter where you are if other people there your stuff may leave.

Good idea about feeding to others.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

When I kept mine in 12 X 12s overnight, I used pelleted shavings. 2 bags a week refresher, 4 after I stripped and I stripped about every 4th week. The prices vary and some of the cheaper ones are dustier. I also worked out a deal with the feed store to prepay for a pallet at a time at a discounted rate but only take 8 bags at a time (I only had my little car). That worked out well because at times, there were shortages but I always knew how much I had and there was plenty of time to reorder.

The hay might be a little on the low end if you have cold temps. Pretty close though. I planned for a 60 lb bale a day between two horses plus extra if it was really cold and I had to feed hay from about Sept through April give or take. I usually ended up with a little extra which was nice for trailering in the summer.

Do they have room for you to purchase all of your hay at once or are you going to have to be getting hay every couple of weeks?

It sounds like this place does the feeding/turnout/cleaning and you just provide the feed, is that correct? If so, do they have a mechanism for keeping your stuff separated/locked down from others so it's not walking away? Will they feed to your spec or is it a judgment call on their part? IE: Do they "only" feed 2 flakes of hay twice per day? Will they take care with the shavings? --bank them in the morning if the horse is going to be in/out, get the pee spots out, etc? Because if they don't, you may go through more shavings.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I prob have to bring stuff home/store under deck (waterproof) & take out. Im not sure I can get hay now--wasnt much last year & getting late, maybe have to do pellets/BP for now.

They dont feed hay, pellets only, so it would be easy to tell if someone is using my. I dont know about banking, they do stalls very well for training horses, may try to get sawdust thrown in for same price. Cant hurt.

Theres nowhere to store my stuff AFAIK, unless its a room somewhere outside, this is a shedrow type. I wasnt out there much when he lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Never done anyhting like this, this is a training barn that needs stalls full. Plus he sold me horse! lol No matter where you are if other people there your stuff may leave.
    Well, sure...that's always a risk when you board. But someone using your fly spray is a whole different ball of wax than someone using your hay--especially when you don't have a truck and it might be difficult to just go pick up another 10 bales.

If this is a training barn, there is presumably a whole stack of hay and a pile of shavings that belongs to the barn? Why do you have to provide your own?

ETA: Okay, so they don't feed hay? And they also have no storage space for YOUR hay? Are you planning on taking a bale out there daily?

So this is kind of a special deal for you, not their "normal" thing?

If that's the case, I'd talk it through with the guy and see what his general concept of all of this is.

Being a "special case" can be great or it can be a disaster. It really depends IMHO on excellent communication.

I would be more "excited" about a situation like this if I were doing the care and basically renting space. The fact that you'll have to schlep your stuff first from the store or wherever to your house, then load up and haul it to the barn on a fairly regular basis might be something to carefully consider.

When I leased a farm (and did my own care), the farm was about 20 min away from my house. During the week in the winter when the horses were stalled overnight, I'd go out in the morning, turn out, feed, water, etc then go to work. After work, I'd clean stalls. On Saturday mornings, I'd make my run to the feed store to get feed and shavings, then head to the barn, strip stalls if needed, scrub tanks, spread manure from the week, etc etc. It was pretty much a 1/2 day deal every Saturday.

If you have to haul stuff to your house, then load up and haul to the barn, you're probably looking at a pretty good time commitment. Not that it's a problem, just wanting to give you the heads up.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Maybe be better to ask for or offer all included price? I think I would be better off, Im thinking I know what he would charge.

I dont care to haul stuff if I can do it & its cheaper If I have to pay what I said in #1 Im above everyone around here, while its a nice place Im not made of $$.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    My guy eats 12 pounds of senior per day! He would waste away to nothing on 3 bags a month.
    Weeeellll.....
    My WB is in very good condition - you can intimate he has ribs, but not count them. His oats by weight come in ~4#/day, pony - who is borderline butterball - gets ~8oz daily.
    I don't measure exact weight, once I determined what my scoop holds (give or take) that's what I use to gauge.
    All I know for sure is I go through 2 50# bags of whole oats in a month and nobody at 2 Dogs Farm is in danger of wasting away....(sadly)me included.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Weeeellll.....
    My WB is in very good condition - you can intimate he has ribs, but not count them. His oats by weight come in ~4#/day, pony - who is borderline butterball - gets ~8oz daily.
    I don't measure exact weight, once I determined what my scoop holds (give or take) that's what I use to gauge.
    All I know for sure is I go through 2 50# bags of whole oats in a month and nobody at 2 Dogs Farm is in danger of wasting away....(sadly)me included.
    Laugh.

I think the point Laurie is making is that each horse is different and telling someone they will not need that much grain might be inaccurate depending on their horse and what their horse needs.

I use more bedding in winter than in summer, but it depends on the horse. How is hay fed when they're out and what shape is the pasture in during spring, summer and fall. Will you have to supplement during turnout all year long or just in the winter?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2dogs if I cut back on feed I give more hay & he gets sone senior feed where he is, not a lot, maybe 2 bags/mo but I doubt it. Id rather figure to high than to low really. Plus I can haul bunches of sr feed but DH gets mad at hay in his burban.