The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2005
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    sorry for the misunderstanding Reece --it does sound over the top-- but I think it is accurate.



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2008
    Location
    Maxville, On
    Posts
    577

    Default

    o
    Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    Jos has said time and again that the atmosphere on this board is unfriendly, uninviting and unpleasant. Personally, I think there are more positive people than the handful of negative that make it unpleasant. Unfortunately, it doesn't take very many to make it a place that is unpleasant. It does make me sad as I receive emails and PM's from posters that are reluctant to post for fear of being attacked. I find that tragic. And I agree with you in that the fun and lighthearted, supportive spirit that used to be so prevalent here has been transformed into high school clique-ish behavior .
    So true Kathy, just a few handful. In fact the moderators should not accept any nasty comment, erase it plain and simple and reprimand this behavior.

    This would be much more useful than cutting someone from bragging. I find no offence when people are proud and want to share their joy.
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    371

    Default

    I had a thread removed because I asked about the market for breeding colored warmblood stallions as I had a pretty loudly marked colt I was trying to decide whether or not to geld and I am not really into the colored sport horse market. I had seen simililar questions posted in the past and I was not attempting to sell the colt as a stallion prospect. I was told it was because I am a large breeder at 3 foals produced that year (though occassionally I'll have as many as six). BTW he was gelded and is quite happy with the decision though it was done without the input I value from this forum.

    I think this is a very important forum and I appreciate the information we get from breeders around the world. While I have horses showing dressage and hunter jumpers I prefer to share those successes with other breeders not the "end-users." The breeders are unlikely to buy what I produce while riders are so I would assume that it would be less advertising here than in those forums. Breeding horses is such a tricky business, so fraught with failure and heartbreak that I appreciate anything that makes me and my breeding program more successful. I would hate for this forum to get shut down or dumbed down. Is there a way we can work with the moderators to establish guidelines that would allow us to share our successes without getting dinged for them? Does it matter if we produce 1 or 10 foals, if we stand a stallion or not, if we offer reproductive services or frozen semen? Could we use a separate "brag forum?' Currently I'm not sure but I really would like more easily understandable and equally applied rules.
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    You do realize that not every single post on every single thread on every single forum gets read, don't you? I would suspect that most posts that get caught have been reported, are on a thread that has proven to be contentious or troublesome in some other way or have a title that is, like this thread, so blatantly obvious that the mods are drawn to it. Moderating isn't a black and white game. You do the best you can, and you know, going in, that your solutions aren't going to please everyone. Everyone sees things differently. You only have to look at American politics to realize that.

    The fact is that there is a no advertising rule on these forums. The fact also is that there are people on all of the forums who skirt those rules, either unknowingly, or on purpose. This forum is harder than most because the line is not as clear. But, all of you have to realize, smart people that you are, that there are some people on here who are deliberately trying to get as close to the edge as they can in order to promote their business. I'm not naming names, I'm not saying it's anyone who has posted on this thread. It's just obvious if you read these forums on a regular basis. And, really, it's just human nature.

    It's an internet forum. You get slapped on the wrist every once in a while if you post a lot. Lots of people have had it happen to them. Most don't complain, they just file it under lesson learned and go on. You newer guys may not realize that you are lucky. These mods are pretty lenient, IMO. I know some mods who might not have been quite so lenient.
    I think Louise's post bears repeating. I think the mods do a great job and manage to keep the peace.
    I too have been on this board for many years, and have seen some drag-em-out fights (remember the forum even got shut down on occasion?).
    I remember Louise herself as a thoughtful and much-respected moderator.

    The COTH forum is full of very knowlegable and decent people, and continues to be a valuable resource for most of us.
    Maybe not quite as much 'fun',(and maybe not as good for popcorn and chocolate sales) but everything changes.

    The 'rules' while open to interpretation do help to keep things peaceful.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jul. 25, 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post

    I'd also like to see a forum that does allow "Brags"
    without being muddied by some other person declaring "advertising"
    That type of braggy, pix heavy forum can be found on the UDBB.



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    At one point a few years ago there were easily a dozen or so brags a day of stallions by the SOs, or of kids by their stallions, most not even very thinly veiled as advertisements. The most blatantly advertising ones were getting removed, but then those posters were pouting about others being left even when it was relatively obvious they were also ads. That's when the powers that be decided they'd just have to all go away. Just sayin'
    What JB said.
    I remember those days.
    Things got so out of hand there was serious consideration to shutting down the breeding forum.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2012
    Location
    Barboursville, VA
    Posts
    431

    Default

    I feel that fun can be had again as long as people don't get rude about the comments they make to other posts.

    That being said, I still don't think that "bragging" about accomplishments of any horse should warrant deletion or infractions by the moderator.

    Perhaps there should be another section in the forums for just that?
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Mar. 17, 2006
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post
    I feel that fun can be had again as long as people don't get rude about the comments they make to other posts.

    That being said, I still don't think that "bragging" about accomplishments of any horse should warrant deletion or infractions by the moderator.

    Perhaps there should be another section in the forums for just that?
    It is not just the stallion owners who are vulnerable to criticism about being overtly "proud" of accomplishments. We have just been criticized about giving information about a mare that we have that has been bred to a certain stallion. Seems that indicating that we value the stallion enough to put him to our highest achieving mare in terms of performance whose accomplishments and breeding we describe is "self-aggrandizement".

    We value knowing as much as we possibly can about the mares and stallions that fellow breeders choose to breed as it all informs our own choices. The only thing accomplished by deletion or allocation of infractions is to deprive us the breeders of the kind of information that we need here and that is readily available in Europe.

    A separate section for such information sounds like a fine idea to us if the moderators do wish us to have this valuable information and if there are those on this forum who are so sensitive to accomplishments of the stock of others.
    Last edited by Sakura Hill Farm; Feb. 7, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

    Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2002
    Location
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Not a professional breeder here (having bred a grand total of two foals out of two mares within a 34 year period), so I haven't been on the breeding forum much--mostly within the past few years, just to research stallions and then post breeding questions to the experts on this board. I am an avid reader, however. This forum provides a treasure trove of information, and I look to it for answers and wisdom!

    Maybe I don't have a dog in this fight? But I will share a few thoughts.

    I almost always agree with and appreciate Gail, AKA Fred (reliably a class act on the BB ), who exercises enormous restraint and tact--and who will occasionally talk about her stallion in glowing terms, from the standpoint of a "proud stallion owner". Sid does this too, as do some others on the board--but this is SO clearly neither bragging NOR advertising, but instead simply sharing stories out of their love for their animals, something to which we can all relate, and which we all appreciate. So sue them.

    As horsepeople, we live to hear this stuff and read these stories, it's what binds us together and unites us in our love for these animals. (Or maybe it's just me...)

    Without this board, I would have had no way to comprehensively shop for stallions, elicit intelligent and honest feedback, and consult knowledgeable breeders about "what line contributes what", and "what to expect from breeding to stallion X". I would have been lost! Thank heavens for the Breeding Forum.

    Yes, I know about the catfighting and the infighting from previous years

    Fortunately (apparently!) people were able to get themselves under control after their "online spanking" and the official slapdown; as a result, this wonderful resource remained open to readers and posters--and the mods opted not to shut it down completely based on the juvenile behavior of a few bad apples who were unable to let things go.

    (As with ALL the forums, this is NOT Jr. High . People need to control their emotions and act like grownups.)

    This said, there ARE "certain people" on this board (who shall remain nameless), who are both arrogant and holier than thou. In their opinion, their "you know what" doesn't stink--at least they are convinced it doesn't. Get over yourselves. There is a way to educate people about breeding without being contemptuous (see the Horse Care Forum for contemptuous farriers who post insulting comments on every thread about shoeing and hoof care! Guess who I will never listen to, in spite of the fact that they claim to know everything!?!? :-/)

    Bottom line, certain particular breeders are rather full of themselves, and brag not only about their stallion(s), but also about their comprehensive knowledge of everything when it comes to breeding sporthorses; in their "thinly veiled ads" for their breeding programs, they are dismissive of others who don't share their point of view, agree with them, praise them, or swallow their brand of Koolaid.

    Maybe these are the "blatant advertisers" whom the Mods are targeting? (Who knows what goes on behind the scenes?) In any case, the mods (at least the recent ones ), seem pretty reasonable--obviously it's impossible to create a completely level playing field, and they have their work cut out for them. Some people will always feel unfairly treated; certain individuals will get away with things that others feel they shouldn't, others will have their hand slapped and their posts removed, for no good reason--or because someone "reported" them. Perhaps some folks have individual vendettas, and target other folks?

    Inevitable in cyberspace, unfortunately.

    Carry on...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")


    7 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2012
    Location
    Barboursville, VA
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Not a professional breeder here (having bred a grand total of two foals out of two mares within a 34 year period), so I haven't been on the breeding forum much--mostly within the past few years, just to research stallions and then post breeding questions to the experts on this board. I am an avid reader, however. This forum provides a treasure trove of information, and I look to it for answers and wisdom!

    Maybe I don't have a dog in this fight? But I will share a few thoughts.

    I almost always agree with and appreciate Gail, AKA Fred (reliably a class act on the BB ), who exercises enormous restraint and tact--and who will occasionally talk about her stallion in glowing terms, from the standpoint of a "proud stallion owner". Sid does this too, as do some others on the board--but this is SO clearly neither bragging NOR advertising, but instead simply sharing stories out of their love for their animals, something to which we can all relate, and which we all appreciate. So sue them.

    As horsepeople, we live to hear this stuff and read these stories, it's what binds us together and unites us in our love for these animals. (Or maybe it's just me...)

    Without this board, I would have had no way to comprehensively shop for stallions, elicit intelligent and honest feedback, and consult knowledgeable breeders about "what line contributes what", and "what to expect from breeding to stallion X". I would have been lost! Thank heavens for the Breeding Forum.

    Yes, I know about the catfighting and the infighting from previous years

    Fortunately (apparently!) people were able to get themselves under control after their "online spanking" and the official slapdown; as a result, this wonderful resource remained open to readers and posters--and the mods opted not to shut it down completely based on the juvenile behavior of a few bad apples who were unable to let things go.

    (As with ALL the forums, this is NOT Jr. High . People need to control their emotions and act like grownups.)

    This said, there ARE "certain people" on this board (who shall remain nameless), who are both arrogant and holier than thou. In their opinion, their "you know what" doesn't stink--at least they are convinced it doesn't. Get over yourselves. There is a way to educate people about breeding without being contemptuous (see the Horse Care Forum for contemptuous farriers who post insulting comments on every thread about shoeing and hoof care! Guess who I will never listen to, in spite of the fact that they claim to know everything!?!? :-/)

    Bottom line, certain particular breeders are rather full of themselves, and brag not only about their stallion(s), but also about their comprehensive knowledge of everything when it comes to breeding sporthorses; in their "thinly veiled ads" for their breeding programs, they are dismissive of others who don't share their point of view, agree with them, praise them, or swallow their brand of Koolaid.

    Maybe these are the "blatant advertisers" whom the Mods are targeting? (Who knows what goes on behind the scenes?) In any case, the mods (at least the recent ones ), seem pretty reasonable--obviously it's impossible to create a completely level playing field, and they have their work cut out for them. Some people will always feel unfairly treated; certain individuals will get away with things that others feel they shouldn't, others will have their hand slapped and their posts removed, for no good reason--or because someone "reported" them. Perhaps some folks have individual vendettas, and target other folks?

    Inevitable in cyberspace, unfortunately.

    Carry on...

    Very well stated!
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2006
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    I didn't even know that this was going on. Now that I do, I have a question. If no one is allowed to post about individual horse's accomplishments, what exactly is this forum for? If it's just about breeding horses, why is it called Sport Horse Breeding? Why not just Breeding?
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2002
    Location
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post
    Very well stated!
    Thank you.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2002
    Location
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    I didn't even know that this was going on. Now that I do, I have a question. If no one is allowed to post about individual horse's accomplishments, what exactly is this forum for? If it's just about breeding horses, why is it called Sport Horse Breeding? Why not just Breeding?
    Me either, actually; this was an eye-opener! It appears to be one of those slippery slope things. As with everything else in life, wherever there is any subjectivity, there is a gray area--and the resulting inconsistency...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    <SNIP>

    (As with ALL the forums, this is NOT Jr. High . People need to control their emotions and act like grownups.)

    This said, there ARE "certain people" on this board (who shall remain nameless), who are both arrogant and holier than thou. In their opinion, their "you know what" doesn't stink--at least they are convinced it doesn't. Get over yourselves. There is a way to educate people about breeding without being contemptuous (see the Horse Care Forum for contemptuous farriers who post insulting comments on every thread about shoeing and hoof care! Guess who I will never listen to, in spite of the fact that they claim to know everything!?!? :-/)

    Bottom line, certain particular breeders are rather full of themselves, and brag not only about their stallion(s), but also about their comprehensive knowledge of everything when it comes to breeding sporthorses; in their "thinly veiled ads" for their breeding programs, they are dismissive of others who don't share their point of view, agree with them, praise them, or swallow their brand of Koolaid.

    Maybe these are the "blatant advertisers" whom the Mods are targeting? (Who knows what goes on behind the scenes?) In any case, the mods (at least the recent ones ), seem pretty reasonable--obviously it's impossible to create a completely level playing field, and they have their work cut out for them. Some people will always feel unfairly treated; certain individuals will get away with things that others feel they shouldn't, others will have their hand slapped and their posts removed, for no good reason--or because someone "reported" them. Perhaps some folks have individual vendettas, and target other folks?

    Inevitable in cyberspace, unfortunately.

    Carry on...
    Since the 2 threads i know of involved Irish Draughts I have to wonder if there are some people who prefer not to see ID's mentioned. I've certainly given up suggesting Irish stallions because I know that it will be followed by a chorus of Oh no's
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2002
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Since the 2 threads i know of involved Irish Draughts I have to wonder if there are some people who prefer not to see ID's mentioned. I've certainly given up suggesting Irish stallions because I know that it will be followed by a chorus of Oh no's
    Well, I know I don't count as a "breeder" - but I, for one, would love to put my mare on an ID. But...then again, I'm also Irish.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson



  16. #56
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2006
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    As with everything else in life, wherever there is any subjectivity, there is a gray area--and the resulting inconsistency...
    Isn't that what gives life its texture and colors? Otherwise everything would be, no pun intended, black and white.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2002
    Location
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    Isn't that what gives life its texture and colors? Otherwise everything would be, no pun intended, black and white.
    Agree, life is all about the shades of gray Or should be...To each his or her own.

    As for the RIDs, that breed (and its "by-product", the ISH) is/are consistently represented in the top levels of eventing--and have been for decades--they are some of the most elite sporthorses in the world!

    (I would be scratching my head at their exclusion...Doubt that's a reason, but who knows?)

    I was actually thinking about breeding to one (to get the event horse I want to ride "in my dotage"), but they tend to run BIG, and I am a littler person--growing older (and littler) every year. I deliberately chose a WB stallion who does not generally throw size or a lot of substance, hoping to get something around the size of my mare (stallion is 16.0, my mare is 15.3), so far, so good
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")



Similar Threads

  1. Thank you, Moderator 1
    By RunForIt in forum Eventing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jan. 21, 2010, 10:01 AM
  2. Thank You Moderator 1
    By Zu Zu in forum Help Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov. 7, 2009, 08:48 AM
  3. Moderator - help
    By LoveToJump in forum Help Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb. 16, 2008, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness