The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You should start a privately owned stud book Reece closely tied to your privately owned stud farm and consulting business then you can write press releases quoting yourself as expert/ breeding director in third person and spam the forum with them because you are acting in the role of a "stud book."
    But seriously, considering the mods let people put tag lines linking to their business/farms (which I enjoy looking at) and is very advertizy, they are pretty lenient and ....it is their board! :-)

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    A few years ago I posted how happy I was to have been given Sophie's dam. I listed Beeza's other offspring, who I DID NOT own. I did mention she was in foal. That post was removed because it "promoted my breeding program"
    Did Shadow go poof?

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Not to long ago another poster, who did NOT own the stallion in question posted how she had found some neat info about a stallion she was familiar with. That post was also removed.
    I don't understand
    That was me and I was posting some information about the Irish Draught stallion, Touch of the Blues. Sadly, he wasn't/isn't standing to the public and wasn't one of our stallions either, so I "thought" it was safe. But, the moderator said that someone had filed a complaint .

I recognize that it is difficult to police this forum. And it is, to a certain degree, a popularity contest. So if a forum poster isn't liked by someone, you can be pretty sure they're post is going to be reported much more quickly than someone who has a more "likeable" persona. It's just human nature, isn't it?

Unfortunately, I understand the moderators dilemma! There are some posters that would abuse and "do" abuse things by posting on every thread requesting a suggestion for a mate for a mare, assuring the poster that their stallion is PERFECT! And then there are those that post every opportunity about how wonderful their latest prospect is and by the way...it's for sale! No easy answers, so a blanket, no advertising, no bragging, no promotion policy is probably the easiest - and of course, it will be to a certain degree, interpretation.

Ultimately, it "is" COTH's playground and they have all the balls! But, you can post whatever you want on your own FACEBOOK page !
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

5 members found this post helpful.

But, the moderator said that someone had filed a complaint
    Unfortunately this is very much the issue - and it's not so different from non-virtual life situations: once a protest is lodged, admin must investigate & then apply any rules that look as if they might be transgressed ...

I'd also like to see a forum that does allow "Brags"
    without being muddied by some other person declaring "advertising"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    You should start a privately owned stud book Reece closely tied to your privately owned stud farm and consulting business then you can write press releases quoting yourself as expert/ breeding director in third person and spam the forum with them because you are acting in the role of a "stud book."
    :-)
    Reece, if you did, we'd subscribe.... we greatly enjoy your contribution to this forum.

About the topic, we’ve been members of this forum since god was a child, and I have to admit, I’ve never been able to make sense of how this issue is moderated. I think every post on here can be construed as advertising, even if it is only in the context of proclaiming, “I am an expert on this matter.” I think it's near impossible to avoid advertising. And, frankly, if we don’t have posts from successful breeders with actual experience, what would be the point of the forum?

Without question, some posters over the years abused COTH’s good nature, and pushed things to the limit. I get that they should be smacked on hand from time to time. But breeding quality is a challenge. There are enough times when things go wrong. It’s easy to get discouraged and give up. Breeders who truly have amazing accomplishments, or some sweet measure of success - should be able to sing from the tree tops about it, if only because it is uplifting and encouraging for others. I can’t think of a more appropriate place than here on this Breeding Forum to crow about a breeding success. Maybe the Premium membership could cost a bit more and include the right to brag once a week.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm grateful the moderators make an attempt to limit the advertising and brags. Even so, there's a flood of thinly veiled advertising which slips thru the cracks, and breeders who've almost made an art form out of abusing the system. It runs the gamut from looking desperate and pitiful to looking like self absorbed attention seeking, and neither scenario reflects well on a breeder in my opinion. Let your breeding program speak for itself.

"The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions." Confucius
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    ... breeders who've almost made an art form out of abusing the system. It runs the gamut from looking desperate and pitiful to looking like self absorbed attention seeking, and neither scenario reflects well on a breeder in my opinion. Let your breeding program speak for itself.
    I agree. Every time one of them pipes up 'take a look at my stallion' I want to go

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartier View Post
    Maybe the Premium membership could cost a bit more and include the right to brag once a week.
    Want to advertise/brag weekly, the magazine provides this option. Or, for daily advertising/bragging try for one of the boxes on left side of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Derid View Post
    Want to advertise/brag weekly, the magazine provides this option. Or, for daily advertising/bragging try for one of the boxes on left side of the screen.
    Or better yet.... do it on your facebook page so that I can block your feed.

And what pinecone said.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    But seriously, considering the mods let people put tag lines linking to their business/farms (which I enjoy looking at) and is very advertizy, they are pretty lenient and ....it is their board! :-)
    I was simply asking for clarity from the mods.

You , quite frankly , are being nasty to me for exactly what reason Omare ?

I have never claimed to be an expert but I know what I know......

I need no other studbooks besides the ones I am a member of.

My breeding , consulting and brokering has led to winners around the globe. I'm sorry this obviously makes you jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post

My breeding , consulting and brokering has led to winners around the globe. I'm sorry this obviously makes you jealous.
    Ok this is just flat out funny. And oh the irony...

I'm 99.9 per cent sure that omare's post was a joke. Your reaction was 100 per cent predictable.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Am I correct in understanding that there is to be a separate forum for those who advertise in, and subscribe to, COTH and on THAT forum it would be OK to brag about your stallion's accomplishments?

And by the way.. Hyperion, how are your horses doing at WEF this year?
    I love keeping up with news from the members of this forum. Even though I am not a breeder I am interested in the subject and enjoy the progress reports.

I am happily anticipating foal watch with those who do Mare Stare, since I keep late hours..
    Horses are doing great so far! Couple of blue ribbons and a champion ribbon for a five yr old.

Imothep is jumping great and gearing up to show next week in the GPs.

I wonder if mentioning his name is considered advertising? LoL

BTW you didn't see the reply from the moderator threatening to ban me from the forums and I received a 1 point infraction. I feel like I'm at boarding school again. I also mentioned what everyone else is saying and imagine that.....no response!

Guess they don't like to address the "grey" areas when called out on them.
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Ok this is just flat out funny. And oh the irony...

I'm 99.9 per cent sure that omare's post was a joke. Your reaction was 100 per cent predictable.
    So you're not sure it was a joke if you're at 99.9% ?

For someone who has proclaimed over and over that they've had me on ignore......I'm flattered as you obviously just can't help yourself GAP.

For SH breeders, it is vital to learn which stallions are performing successfully, which are producing successfully, etc. Doesn't the magazine itself report performance & in-hand results? So what's the difference? COTH is one of the biggest horse forums on the net. I have no doubt they are making $$ on this site with all the ads that are constantly displayed. But when they start dividing print advertisers & just plain old forum members that's going over the top...

Hey -- and what about our overseas COTH members, who routinely post the results of their mares/foals, etc.? I see those all the time.

We have so many discussions about supporting American WB breeders...sometimes it's like pushing a rock up a hill...

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I'm grateful the moderators make an attempt to limit the advertising and brags. Even so, there's a flood of thinly veiled advertising which slips thru the cracks, and breeders who've almost made an art form out of abusing the system. It runs the gamut from looking desperate and pitiful to looking like self absorbed attention seeking, and neither scenario reflects well on a breeder in my opinion. Let your breeding program speak for itself.

"The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions." Confucius
    Right. I agree. And we seem to see the same stallions promoted over and over for being able to fix ANY problems with the mare. Sometimes without any info about the mare being given.

I do not own a stallion or have any financial interest in a stallion but I have had posts about the success of my horses removed by the mods because a forum member ( or two) felt I was promoting the sire of the horses I mentioned.

I can understand how it would look that way.

COTH owns the playground, their rules.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Did Shadow go poof?
    Yup
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Having been around when the "no bragging" rule was enacted, I do understand why it was put in place and the need for it. That said - I had commented on Kathy's TOTB article thread (as we had just purchased a weanling by him) and when it disappeared I asked the mod's. I was told it was flagged because Kathy was standing the stallion at her facility for the owner, it was considered bragging. I could have started another thread about his offspring accomplishments, etc. but didn't feel the need to bother at that point. I think many times people flag posts they feel are competition to their own (whatever), and the mods just have to go by what they are told. Which frankly I find silly and petty (not of the mods, but the people who send the alerts) - unless it's blatant, and the flag is warranted.

Anyway, I used to LIVE on this forum, and am very very rarely on here any more. Dynamics have changed - I think the mods are doing the best they can, but the posts have just gotten cattier over the years, or else my skin is getting thinner. I remember incredibly long threads (think Frosty) that were very light hearted and fun - doesn't seem to happen like that any longer. Yes, I remember endlessly annoying bragging threads too, and colored breeder cat fights, but for the most part - people were there to learn and to help.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by okggo View Post
    That said - I had commented on Kathy's TOTB article thread (as we had just purchased a weanling by him) and when it disappeared I asked the mod's. I was told it was flagged because Kathy was standing the stallion at her facility for the owner, it was considered bragging.
    Sad it was perceived that way, because as I said, he wasn't/isn't standing to the public any longer. He's a grand old horse but perhaps the mods perceived it as bragging because the owners still breed their own horses to him and some of those offspring are marketed. Ah well...It was an interesting article about the old guy that we thought Irish Draught breeders would find fun.

I could have started another thread about his offspring accomplishments, etc. but didn't feel the need to bother at that point. I think many times people flag posts they feel are competition to their own (whatever), and the mods just have to go by what they are told. Which frankly I find silly and petty (not of the mods, but the people who send the alerts) - unless it's blatant, and the flag is warranted.
    I think that probably this is more of an issue. People with agendas or competition. Who knows. Doesn't matter.

Anyway, I used to LIVE on this forum, and am very very rarely on here any more. Dynamics have changed - I think the mods are doing the best they can, but the posters have just gotten cattier over the years, or else my skin is getting thinner. I remember incredibly long threads (think Frosty) that were very light hearted and fun - doesn't seem to happen like that any longer.
    Yes. I definitely agree with you. Jos has said time and again that the atmosphere on this board is unfriendly, uninviting and unpleasant. Personally, I think there are more positive people than the handful of negative that make it unpleasant. Unfortunately, it doesn't take very many to make it a place that is unpleasant. It does make me sad as I receive emails and PM's from posters that are reluctant to post for fear of being attacked. I find that tragic. And I agree with you in that the fun and lighthearted, supportive spirit that used to be so prevalent here has been transformed into high school clique-ish behavior .
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

8 members found this post helpful.

Kathy, I couldn't agree more. I thougth it was rediculous someone flagged that thread, IMHO it smacked of jealousy or sour grapes (or who the heck knows). I was enjoying reading it, and poof.

Jos is likely right....FWIW most of the people I used to chat with on here hardly post now for the same reasons (or because they happened to be part of an attack). I minded the bragging a lot less then I do the nastiness. But hey. Still a great resource filled with great people, just a different atmosphere (drug down by the few, I suppose).

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post

Sorry Omare.......Terri informed me of who you were referring to. I mis-understood.