The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USHJA Hunter Derby Bridle

So I have been eyeing this bridle for the longest time now.

I was told it was comparable to the Jimmy's bridle but for a fraction of the cost. The reviews on Dover's website were pretty good but I wanted to know how they hold up as well as how pretty they are to look at.

Does anyone have any pictures of their own horses in it? Its one thing to see the companies pictures and its another thing to see it broken in and oiled and used.

Thanks in advanced!

They look best on big warmblood heads. Too much for the more refined heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    They look best on big warmblood heads. Too much for the more refined heads.
    See I don't really think they're that bad on a more refined head. My TB has a cob sized noseband and headstall but a horse size throatlatch and he's been in the similar Arc De Triomphe Tribute and Wide Noseband Pessoa and he looks really nice.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I have not seen this bridle except in pictures but I do not like that it comes with flat reins when the headstall is raised (Dover does that on several of their raised bridles). I find it hard to believe that it could possibly compare to the same quality as a Jimmy's bridle although it may be very nice.

Why don't you check out the ADT Tribute bridle and Edgewood's wide noseband bridles as an alternative? .

BTW, I think the wide noseband versions (raised but unpadded) can be very flattering even on the smaller, finer types of head, it depends on the particular horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Or the Ann Hubbard AKH bridle. Looks just like the Jimmy's at a much better price point. LOVE mine!

I've had this bridle for a year now and I love it. Broke in beautifully and looks nice on a variety of horses.

FWIW - I think it's a pretty bridle, but it definitely does not compare to a Jimmy's in terms of quality. I tried it on my mare with a refined head and it was a little overwhelming for her face. On a horse with a larger or wider head, I think it would be very nice.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

Redbarn makes a very similar bridle that looks great, is a little less expensive, and is made of really nice leather. I have two of them for my horse and am thrilled with how they look/work.

http://www.klselect.com/red-barn/hunter.html

I have the Spirit and the Fusion and paid about $225'ish for each of them.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

~ Loving mom of the world's biggest puppy, my draft-X Sirius Black

I have two! They are a great value and hold up extremely well. My only complaint is the browband, it's quite thin and a bit flimsy. I love the stitching detail on the reins as well. Hope you can see these photos...I may need to change the settings.

Here is the bridle on my horse that had the smaller head (normal size),this is the standard horse-sized bridle: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

And here is the same style bridle in the oversize, on my oversize WB. The cut is slightly different on the bigger one, something about the noseband I don't love as much. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

The reins are flat and so is the martingale (not on the piece around the neck). These are actually my favorite reins they stitching and leather are so nice.

Hope those photos post, it really is a nice bridle that flatters a lot of different heads. Jimmy's, IMHO, just is not worth the price tag!

I got this bridle for Christmas. The stitching is very fuzzy looking and the browband is flimsy. It is not comparable to Jimmy's bridles and I do not like that it didn't come with fancy stitches reins. I returned it and got the ADT Tribute bridle. The leather cheek piece cracked on it and it had loose stitching. Finally ended up buying a wide noseband caveson for my Hadfields bridle and am extremely thrilled with it. Good luck in your search!

Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
    Finally ended up buying a wide noseband caveson for my Hadfields bridle and am extremely thrilled with it. Good luck in your search!
    I love Hadfields strap goods. At a recent clinic one trainer had all her client's horses wearing the wide noseband Hadfields and its stunning, and looked good on a variety of different sized heads. Mine held up beautifully, I used it as an everyday bridle it was so pretty and never regretted the cost of it.

I have a lovely wide noseband bridle from hadfields that looks stunning on a more refined head. The browband is 1/2", and the noseband is unpadded and wide (1"+). I find the hadfields age VERY well compared to the softer leather like edgewood (which I also really like). If you want the bridle to last a long time and can hold up to every day use I would go hadfield for sure. If its just a show bridle and you are on a tighter budget, the Aramas line is very similar to the edgewood but has a better pricetag and a lovely wide noseband model.

Thank you everyone! I was also interested in the Hadfields and looking into Ann Hubbard AKH bridle.

Quality is important and I do not want to invest in anything that simply will not hold up.

I think the wide noseband looks good on smaller refined type heads. My gelding has a more refined head and he actually looks better in something a little bigger.

You might also want to consider The Country Saddler's Legacy line of bridles, they do both stock and custom and are supposed to be lovely quality. http://www.thecountrysaddler.com/

Don't forget premiertackoutlet.com, they discount high end strap goods, both new and used. Rebecca frequently has Hadfields bridles on her site.

The ADT looks great... just the noseband on the Dover bridle is kind of ugly to me

For what is is worth, here is my wide noseband Hadfield's bridle

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Note: I don't have my Hadfield's reins on it, I save them for shows because my rubber reins are just so much easier to clean haha!

Let me know if these links don't work.