The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nunn Finer

Okay, this is probably going to sound stupid... but is it Nunn FIN-ner, or Nunn FI-ner? I've always wondered, especially seeing as the latter reads as none finer.

I've always said (in my head) None Finer. I think that's the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    I've always said (in my head) None Finer. I think that's the point.
    See, I half thought that and half thought it was Dutch or something, haha.

I've always said it and heard it as "None Finer." Nunn is, I believe, the last name of the guy who started the company. It's a play on words, or in this case, a name.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    I've always said it and heard it as "None Finer." Nunn is, I believe, the last name of the guy who started the company. It's a play on words, or in this case, a name.
    Haha, good, thanks!

Now I won't be afraid to tell someone I have "Nunn Finer Soft Grip Reins" for fear of mispronouncing the name, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    John Nunn, who owns Bit of Britain. Nunn Finer is their brand. I LOVE their Soft Grip reins

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    John Nunn, who owns Bit of Britain. Nunn Finer is their brand. I LOVE their Soft Grip reins
    Is the Nunn Finer brand still Amish made by Bartville Harness up in Pa?
    Dreaming in Color

Some of their things are Amish made, others not.

Also they are not "made" by BV....maybe years ago but not in the last few years.

They are still noticeably cheaper at Bartville. Case and point... Bought a hunting breastplate in cob size the other day, with brass for $89.75.

Currently $149.95 on the BoB site.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Fin...ate_p/0060.htm

Worth the drive to buy it for almost 40% off.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

'Finer' is pronounced like the dictionary word.

Some of the more basic bridlework is made for NF by Bartville. Lately NF has more fancy stitched stuff, and that's not. But the very basic items are made by Bartville.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    'Finer' is pronounced like the dictionary word.

Some of the more basic bridlework is made for NF by Bartville. Lately NF has more fancy stitched stuff, and that's not. But the very basic items are made by Bartville.
    I promise you it is not made by BV; I worked at NF for just shy of 2 years. It is very similar to BV but isn't made by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Princess View Post
    I promise you it is not made by BV; I worked at NF for just shy of 2 years. It is very similar to BV but isn't made by them.
    Interesting because a good friend of mine works for NF and I spoke with John at the spring AETA trade show and he told me Bartville did.
    ~Veronica

I think its a question of symantics ... The Amish have a factory (I think its called English Riding something and owned by one of the brothers of Bartville) that factory makes leather goods (halters, bridles, leads). It supplies both Bartville and NF. So, technically, Bartville does not "make" the leather goods, the factory does. But, the factory supplies both Bartville and BoB with the NF tack. None of the fancy stitched bridles at BoB are made by the Amish, only the plain tack.

Rocky hit it on the head there-you can go to BV and buy the stuff, but it isn't made by BV. They do make some smaller things, what I don't know exactly.

OK, so if I'm looking for a good, old fashioned Nunn Finer bridle, do I get one of the plain ones from BOB? (I had my suspicions about the new fancy-stitch tack they carry, I will leave that alone, I want a solid, sturdy bridle.)

Blue,

If you are looking for a fancy stitched bridle, the newer ones were a completely new product-there had been some issues before these, and as I worked there while we were developing the newest fancy stitched ones, we tried to completely revamp and really concentrate on quality to make sure older issues didn't crop up again.

If you are going for a plainer bridle, you can order the same ones in the catalog via calling BV ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    I think its a question of symantics ... The Amish have a factory (I think its called English Riding something and owned by one of the brothers of Bartville) that factory makes leather goods (halters, bridles, leads). It supplies both Bartville and NF. So, technically, Bartville does not "make" the leather goods, the factory does. But, the factory supplies both Bartville and BoB with the NF tack. None of the fancy stitched bridles at BoB are made by the Amish, only the plain tack.
    Okay, if you want to split hairs... but the same bridles with the same design the same leather and everything identical other than the stamp of trademark were and are sold by Bartville. I suppose they don't strictly FABRICATE every piece of tack by hand themselves but for all intents and purposes from a informal use of the term, Bartville makes those bridles.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Princess View Post
    Blue,

If you are looking for a fancy stitched bridle, the newer ones were a completely new product-there had been some issues before these, and as I worked there while we were developing the newest fancy stitched ones, we tried to completely revamp and really concentrate on quality to make sure older issues didn't crop up again.

If you are going for a plainer bridle, you can order the same ones in the catalog via calling BV ;-)
    Thanks. Sadly, my older-than-dirt/GM Stubben is looking a little ratty to show in, (although it is still going strong and will most likely outlive me) and I'm looking for something that would survive WWIII that won't make my trainer cringe. These sound like they'll fit the bill.

I have a Bobby's bridle from maybe 2002 or so, that I have completely treated like crap, and I do mean crap..barely cleaned, thrown on a myriad of different sized horses (all of which it fit, surprisingly), packed back and forth to college, leased horses, summer projects, you name it, it did it. It was $80 and still looks brand new. I think I might cry the day it gives up the ghost.

The Smartpak bridles made by HK are fantastic bang for the buck in the fancy stitched world.
    ~Veronica