The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bay Horse + Brown Saddle + Black Pad = Fashion Disaster?

I mostly lurk on these boards, but I'm trying to distract myself from the cold by thinking of the upcoming show season.

I mostly do horse trials and schooling shows, but this year I'm considering doing some recognized dressage competitions. My horse is a red bay (coat color is similar to Paragon) and my saddle is chocolate brown. I have a black square pad that I've been using for shows and I think it looks nice. My query is this: would the combination of all three still be ok in the recognized dressage arena, or should I bite the bullet and get a white pad, which will probably have to be bleached before and after every show, considering my abysmal track record with white horse stuff?

Thanks in advance!

You will be just fine at a recognized show. Plenty of people show in black pads. There are people who don't like them, but I think they look wonderful on greys, chestnuts, pintos with black, buckskins, and bays. I guess that's just about everything but palominos and blacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Thanks so much!

You are allowed. Do it if you like it.

A white pad would look great as well but, I have a light brown saddle and it looks terrific with my black pad! (mare is dark/almost black/bay)

I would not worry about it unless it effects your performance.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Paragon's a chestnut. Some pictures make him look dark and others make him look super coppery, but he's definitely chestnut.

Still, show in your black pad if you like it!

Years ago, a friend always showed her bay Arab with a black pad. I think a black pad looks nice on a bay: Compliments the black points.

My saddle is brown, and I used to show my previous horse, chestnut App with big white blanket, with a brown pad. Got lots of nice comments from the judge(s) on it: They aren't as stuffy as all that! LOL Present horse is more chestnut than white, so I used a white or cream pad, but if the light coloured pads weren't clean on a given day and I didn't have time to wash them, I'd use the brown one without any hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyBayMare View Post
    Paragon's a chestnut. Some pictures make him look dark and others make him look super coppery, but he's definitely chestnut.

Still, show in your black pad if you like it!
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. "Think Paragon with black points." Mea Culpa.

Thank you very much everyone! Hopefully we get some saner weather soon so we can go out and ride!

Red bays are gorgeous, the black pts make the red even prettier, so the black pad would be great.

I covet your brown tack.

I show locally in as many colors as possible - tye dye shirt, tye dye breeches, tye dye helmet cover, usually blue or pink saddle pad.....

I think white OR black would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    Not to derail, but WHERE/HOW did you get those breeches?! I love them!

Regarding the OP, as far as I'm concerned, if it's allowed, and you like it, do it! :-) If you decide you don't like the ensemble, nobody is saying you have to keep using the pad forever!

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    Yes, where did you get the breeches?! I love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    Red bays are gorgeous, the black pts make the red even prettier, so the black pad would be great.
    This!!!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

All you people with brown dressage saddles, where were you when I was trying to sell mine? You would have thought I was trying to sell a camo dressage saddle with the reactions it got!
    Owned by a fabulous red boy and a chunky mare

If you only put your white pad on your clean horse at shows it will stay white. My white pads live at home. I can get a couple shows from my white pads before I have to wash them. Eventually when they get dingy I use them to school in.

Quote Originally Posted by tworedponies View Post
    All you people with brown dressage saddles, where were you when I was trying to sell mine? You would have thought I was trying to sell a camo dressage saddle with the reactions it got!
    Do you still have it? If you do, you need to get these boots I saw on eBay today! GORGEOUS brown Vogels. I must say, I'm tempted by them.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by tworedponies View Post
    LOL. Mine is actually an all-purpose saddle. Or rather, General Purpose Dressage, which means it has a similar flap length to a dressage saddle, but a more forward flap. It's very nice for me because all I have to do is raise my stirrups and voila! Instant jumping saddle.

I do love my brown tack though. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for more discipline specific tack, there will be lots and lots of brown dressage saddles!

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Do you still have it? If you do, you need to get these boots I saw on eBay today! GORGEOUS brown Vogels. I must say, I'm tempted by them.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
    Oh dear Lord, those are my size. So tempting! But I ride a mahogany bay, so brown is right out (right????).

Jeffersequine.com has the tye-dye breeches. Beware, though - the inseams come apart really easily. I had to get replacement pairs TWICE. After the second pair fell apart, I just fixed them myself since I got to keep the ones that fell apart the first time. I have a great serger sewing machine for clothing, so it's held since I fixed it.

Also, you don't get to choose the colors/pattern - the pairs I got were (no pun intended) wildly different.

If you get them and they fall apart, feel free to send them to me and I'll fix them up.

That being said, they only cost $25 for a pair, so it's not a huge loss.