The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ridding a pony, opinions and advise welcome

I own a 16.1 h.h. Warmblood gelding and a welsh cross/appy/tb pony whom my vet said was 14.2 but I think she appears more like 13.3 h.h. I will need to measure her again. My gelding is my beloved pet, the pony is basically been his pet. She is also my very special little white pony. The both have 24/7 turnout and free in and out stalls, the pony's has rubber mats the gelding has a soft stall. They are well fed and stalls and turnout is mucked once, sometimes twice a day.

I have not ridden in the past year but am thinking I want to start getting in better shape again. The pony will be five in August. People say I should ride my pony. I have been a-little hesitant as I feel as if she is too small for me, I am about 5.5 foot as she is pretty sassy although super cute. The lady whom started her for me says she feels bigger than she looks but I have just been undecided. I could try ridding the pony. I could sell the pony and work towards buying another horse. I could keep the pony as there is another horse in the barn I can exercise then eventually when I can afford it I do plan on buying a second horse eventually although I am trying to save some money first.

My warmblood gelding is a people horse and a horsey horse. He is in love with all the mares in the barn. The horses in our barn are not turned out together just side by side, so as long as my gelding another horse beside him that treats him well he will be happy. I also give my gelding grooming and attention as well, he is the greatest horse I have ever had and a beloved member of our family. I am keeping my gelding, just on the fence about what is in the best interest of my pony. I love the pony and prefer to keep her forever as well just trying to decide if more action would be good for her. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Fharoah; Jan. 26, 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Since you already have the pony, why not try it? If you are 5'5 and a normal weight you will probably be fine size-wise, and only trying it will tell whether it is the kind of ride you like/ able to do what you want, etc. Then you can go from there. The pony will probably let you know its preferences pretty quickly, ponies usually do.

Ride her and see how it goes.

If you want some enabling, there have been a few threads recently on adults riding ponies. If you can find them (mostly in Off Course, I think), there are plenty of people posting their pony's size/their size, lots of pictures, etc.

We put my trainer's nephew up on our pony - sold to us as 14.2 but I've always wondered. Pony is 13 or 14, ASB/QH and is built like the QH. Nephew is a slim football playing 6 footer so weighs in at maybe 175 soaking wet. Apart from the fact that his feet were hanging just about a foot below the pony's belly there were no issues. I weigh more than nephew and there were no issues.

I will not be rushing into hard work though, pony does have a long pastern.

BTW the more important factors are rider weight and rider body control/fitness. Height, at 5'5"? Meh.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I have a couple of students - adult women - who are around your size who ONLY ride ponies. One just got a second pony as a birthday present for herself! Go for it.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm 5'5", currently training a 12.2h pony. He's every bit as wide as my 14.3h Arab, he fits perfectly in the same saddle conveniently. The pony has zero problem carrying me. He's perfectly happy to pop over 2ft jumps (thats as far as we are at this point) with me on him.

Yes, it depends on how wide the pony is, as to how much leg she takes up. If you are average weight, even if she is 13.3 if you are only doing casual riding I'm sure the two of you will be fine. I'm just shy of 5'5" and ride a 14.1 pony and I have a friend who is probably about 5'3" that rides a 13.2 pony. We trail ride, so we're not concerned with show-ring appearances.

If you feel that you want to keep the pony forever but can't ride her - but the pony absolutely needs a job - I would suggest teaching her to drive. If you haven't done that, find someone to take lessons with/train with. It's a lot of fun!!!

I'm 5'10 and I ride a solidly built (but not drafty looking) 14.2 hand pony. He's a legit 14.2 hands, (he has a perm. card) and people are routinely surprised that all five feet ten inches of me fits so well on all 14.2 hands of him. I'm sure it has something to do with my build- I have a v. long torso, and shorter legs.
    So go for it, ponies can be a lot of fun!

Ponies are awesome! Go for it! My mount is a 14h pony. Love him!

I'm 5' 4'' and all legs and ride a stocky 13.2 hand morgan gelding. While we aren't the perfect hunter ring picture, people are often surprised when I dismount and see that I'm of average height. His barrel is so round that he fits me quite well!

Quote Originally Posted by Fharoah View Post
    welsh cross/appy/tb pony whom my vet said was 14.2 but I think she appears more like 13.3 h.h.

I have not ridden in the past year but am thinking I want to start getting in better shape again. The pony will be five in August. People say I should ride my pony. I have been a-little hesitant as I feel as if she is too small for me, I am about 5.5 foot as she is pretty sassy although super cute. The lady whom started her for me says she feels bigger than she looks but I have just been undecided. I could try ridding the pony.

I love the pony and prefer to keep her forever as well just trying to decide if more action would be good for her.
    More action would definitely be better for the pony
    You don't mention how much pony has done (1 month vs 6 months is a huge difference) - assuming she's as green as she sounds, you want to be careful to remain balanced on her: shifts in your height above her or even slightly off centre will unbalance her, pushing her onto her forehand or crooked etc: an educated horse will know how to counter, a green horse won't.

You'll want to start her slowly to build strength in her back before riding, work on the lunge line is excellent for this (if you're unsure how/why, find a good trainer for lessons, e.g., most dressage trainers).

Saddle fit - make sure the saddle fits well to avoid any soreness in her back & ensure the saddle is not blocking her muscle development; unfortunately she's likely to change enough when in work & given her age, so hopefully you can borrow a saddle or find an economic adjustable saddle to get through the next year or so ...

Even though she's 4 1/2, her spine is far from fused, so try to stay off her back (ride in a "suspended" seat) as much as possible, in 6 months she should have the topline to support you.

Start with a few lessons especially if she's greener than you usually ride
    that cheekieness is likely to surface u/s when you least expect it

I'm 5'2" and ride a very elegant 14hh GRP mare. She feels like a big horse to me

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Even though she's 4 1/2, her spine is far from fused, so try to stay off her back (ride in a "suspended" seat) as much as possible, in 6 months she should have the topline to support you.
    The spine shouldn't fuse. If it does, you have a serious problem!

1 members found this post helpful.

Like others said, depends on your weight. Your height alone is not a problem for the pony....

Whatever you do, don't tell my pony (all 13.3 3/4 of her) that my 5'6" self is too big for her - she'll tell me she needs to be retired!

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    The spine shouldn't fuse. If it does, you have a serious problem!
    alright vertebral 'closure' then

My daughter's 14 hand quarter pony fit my leg better than my 16.1 slab sided TB. Give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    I'm 5'10 and I ride a solidly built (but not drafty looking) 14.2 hand pony. He's a legit 14.2 hands, (he has a perm. card) and people are routinely surprised that all five feet ten inches of me fits so well on all 14.2 hands of him. I'm sure it has something to do with my build- I have a v. long torso, and shorter legs.
    So go for it, ponies can be a lot of fun!
    I am 5'9", my horse is 14.2, but I am more leggy. My mare is QH, and pretty stout/solid, but I have never felt too big riding her.
    Your pony probably seems smaller because your other horse is so big.

Thank you all! I am going to give ridding her a try and see how it goes. My goal is to one buy another large hunter type but I have considered keeping all three. I have wondered if a kid would be better for the pony, but she is also got some attitude so I am not sure if she would make a kids pony or not, maybe with lots of professional training. Either way I think some light training would be good for both of us!