The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    But then I had (and have) my horses at home and so the only time away from baby was actually spent riding, not commuting. That didn't even factor into my brain, so thank you for the response!
    I think proximity of the horses is the biggest predictor of how fast people can start riding seriously again. If mine was within 20 minutes I'd probably be out there much more, and it wouldn't require as much logistical thinking - if any at all But it's super inexpensive and he's very happy out there, so I just plan on starting back up when money is free-er.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I think proximity of the horses is the biggest predictor of how fast people can start riding seriously again. If mine was within 20 minutes I'd probably be out there much more, and it wouldn't require as much logistical thinking - if any at all But it's super inexpensive and he's very happy out there, so I just plan on starting back up when money is free-er.
    I think you are right. I've not had a child yet, but I'm due in three months. A lot of those who have posted have confirmed my suspicions... breastfeeding and proximity of horse will be the biggest issues. I'm pretty fit so barring any complications, I expect my body to do it's amazing human-making-machine thing and heal quickly from a natural birth. However, I have NO idea how I'm going to negotiate the breastfeeding territory. Also, my horse is 35 minutes away. He used to be 20 minutes away. In so many other situations 15 minutes difference seems negligible, but I can't believe how much that extra half hour of travel time impacts the logistics of getting out there now... To solve this problem I'm working on finding a rider for my horse. I can survive with the occasional hack and also doing ground work with baby strapped to chest in an attempt to get some "horse time" with my boy. We'll see though...
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

for what it's worth, not getting the horse time I was used to sometimes gets me down, but overall hasn't bothered me nearly as much as I anticipated. The time passes so quickly (I know everybody says that, but it really does) that I don't feel like I'm missing a huge chunk of my life or anything.

"smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

For me, it was easier when DD was smaller. I could strap her into her stroller and off we went... I nursed as well and just made sure to do so before I got on. My BO was really supportive as well, and would help by lunging the beasts and whatnot so I could just hop on and ride.

Now that she's walking. Forget about it!

I was back in saddle less than a month afterwards rehabbing a saint from an injury. We just plucked around for the most part. I backed my mare for the first time at the end of March, DD was born in Feb. I was super sore for the first few rides, just because I'd lost all my core muscles.

FWIW I had a pretty easy pregnancy, stayed active and pretty fit and my OB told me that her best pushers are horsewomen.

Have fun, and congrats!! Babies are fun. For the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I was back on at 4 weeks, WTC. No jumping until about 6-8 weeks. I pumped for 5 months, but it really didn't impact my riding too much (although it made horse show days hard because there really isn't a convenient, private place to pump at a show).
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

Had a c-section with my first child...I was back in the saddle in 10 days....just walking, but back in the saddle to ease my sanity.

It was probably 6 weeks before I was back actually doing something other than walking for a few minutes.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I meant no disrespect to anyone with my question either. I was just curious because nursing didn't impact things one way or the other for me (and neither of mine would take a bottle until they were older).

But then I had (and have) my horses at home and so the only time away from baby was actually spent riding, not commuting. That didn't even factor into my brain, so thank you for the response!
    Same here - nobody is a bigger advocate for breastfeeding than I am. I just didn't get the connection. I nursed mine everywhere and through everything - I worked, played, went to school. I didn't have any problems whatsoever, but I was the dairy cow, and I was blessed with very easy babies.

Congrats!

I didn't get back in the saddle for 8 weeks post baby. After baby your stomach muscles are going to feel weird and loose plus your girly bits will hurt even if you had an easy delivery, not to mention it is a big adjustment having kiddo on the outside.

Every person is different but seriously you should consider taking it easy for the first month, just hang out with the baby, bond, sleep. I healed sooooo much quicker then my friend who tried to be superwoman.

My little guy is nine months and I'm only riding once or twice a week but that has more to do with crappy winter weather and lack of baby help.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the stories!

I figured on at least a month after she's born, provided it's a relatively easy birth. I just hope it doesn't stretch too much past that!

My horses are all at home, so that will make it easier. I do intend to nurse, but without having to commute it shouldn't be any harder to make the time to ride than having to return to work at 6 weeks.

I was quite fit until about 3 or 4 weeks before I got pregnant. I had surgery, which is actually why I managed to get pregnant, and I never fully recovered from the surgery before the morning sickness and hips giving out left me couch-bound when I wasn't dragging myself to work. In the past few months I've been able to do more, so it seems I am getting some fitness back. But I've not ridden since I was about 6 weeks, and that was just a very short walk and a little trot due to the surgery recovery. Once I would have been OK to ride from that I was just too sick and dizzy from the pregnancy.

Luckily I already have a cashel and a sheepskin both strapped to my saddle

Two weeks, but I was riding until close to when the baby was born.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Ok, now that you have received really good answers......

I had a C-section (both times but I only had a horse during my second) I rode a week after birth and was WTC at about 2-3 weeks after. I did not ride while pregnant and kept my guy in light training with lots of trail riding.

I also pumped and did not breast feed which allowed me to spend 3-4 hours away to ride. I needed the break, sometimes I took my kids and it was fine I had my horse at my girlfriends so I usually rode alone. Enjoy, it really can work out.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    2 weeks. Serious riding / competing, probably 4 weeks? I forget. But I do remember the 1st time back on my horse, vividly. It was like, Ahhhh, FREEDOM! lol

I thought that's how all new moms felt about being able to use the bathroom or take a bath by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I thought that's how all new moms felt about being able to use the bathroom or take a bath by themselves.

Well that does not happen for atleast 10 years after having a baby, and never in my house with 2 cats and 2 dogs that panic with a closed bathroom door...

1 members found this post helpful.

I had 3 C-sections.
    And must say I have NO idea how long it was.
    You say this is your first, Congrats- just enjoy your baby- the horse can wait.