The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question 2 Ammys and a Greenie at WEF-Whos the "trainer"?

Soooo

The greenie is definitely not the trainer. But how about the ammy rider or ammy owner? My friend and I showed at WEF(so im guessing they know their rules and they werent even sure).
    I rode her horse, and we didnt hire a trainer. She helped me in the warm up etc. since we are both more than capable horsepeople. We pinned pretty well all things considering

On the entry blank we put her as the trainer but we are confused if this could affect her amateur status (she still competes). The WEF office said that the "trainer" blank MUST be filled out and it is just the person who is responsible for the horse and should NOT affect ammy status.

Any thoughts? We plan on showing the the future together so who do you think would be best to put on the trainer blank?

Want to clarify no money exchanged hands between us! I did not pay to ride her horse. She did not pay me to ride.

I would really appreciate advice, experience or opinions.

The person who signs as trainer is the one who is responsible and penalized if the horse doesn't pass a drug test. In your case, I would let the owner continue to sign. Signing as trainer won't effect amateur status.

2 members found this post helpful.

BAC is exactly right. In the past I kept my horse at home and hauled to my trainer for lessons and showing. Since I had care, custody, and control I always signed the trainer line and it did not have any impact on my ammy status.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes- trainer is the person who has care, custody and control of the horse while on the show grounds. It has nothing to do with who rides the horse, or who teaches the rider.

Thanks so much for the clarification! Since shes the owner definitely would make sense for her to sign there.

As everyone else has said, the "Trainer" signature is for the person who decides what feed, supplements, medication, etc. the horse gets, and has no impact on anyone's amateur status.

HOWEVER, there is a silly little twist in this year's version of the Amateur rules, that may affect you, if you are riding the greenie in any Amateur classes.

k. Entries for non-under saddle classes in amateur sections at hunter, jumper or
    hunter/jumper competitions, must be paid either (i) directly to the competition
    by the Amateur or by the Amateur’s family or (ii) by someone whom the Amateur
    or the Amateur’s family reimburses within 90 days of the last day of the
    competition for which entries were paid.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    As everyone else has said, the "Trainer" signature is for the person who decides what feed, supplements, medication, etc. the horse gets, and has no impact on anyone's amateur status.

HOWEVER, there is a silly little twist in this year's version of the Amateur rules, that may affect you, if you are riding the greenie in any Amateur classes.
    Is this for Adult Amateur or Amateur Owners?

I wish they had phrased that better. Every time I read "non under-saddle" my mind takes a second to catch up to the intended meaning. I want to think "unmounted", not "except the hack".

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    It applies to people who value their ammy status, whether they show in the adult amateur or amateur owner section. An ammy is an ammy from the perspective of the rules.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    It says "Amateur Sections" so i assume it means Adult Amateur, Amateur Owner, and any other class that requires Amateur status (I have seen "Local" divisions that were restricted to "Juniors and Amateurs"). Not sure about Equitaion classes, but you can check with uSEF to be sure.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).