The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sorry, it was Paul Harvey That was my mistake. I did not recognize his voice. I spent most of my younger years living overseas. In all honesty, I don't have a clue who he is I wish "I'm too young" were my excuse.

I can't say I don't learn things on COTH I did a little more research and learned that "So God Made a Farmer" was a speech Harvey gave in 1978 at the National Future Farmers of America Convention. He died in 2009. I still don't know (and don't really care) about his politics.

The Budweiser commercial was by far my favorite... The escaping and shovinv is my now retired horse to a tee... And my 2 year old too Needless to say I was crying like a baby while my SO giggled at me

Second was the Dodge commercial. I'm not religious either but agree it was beautifully written and the imagery was striking. I'll never buy a Dodge but that was a fantastic ad.

Disco, I am guessing there are copies of some of Paul Harvey's 'Rest of the Story' broadcasts out there some where. See if you can find some. Most are very enjoyable. He has a very distinct way of telling stories that once you hear it you will remember his voice.

1 members found this post helpful.

Go to YouTube.com and search his name.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Cripes, we who "know" Paul Harvey are getting old, eh?

This speech was given the year I was BORN. Yet I heard him weekly most of my life.

Wow. Well, they did well. It made an impression and we're all talking about it!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I loved that commercial. I'm old enough to remember Paul Harvey and his distinctive voice and style.

My late father-in-law was a cattle rancher in New Mexico, and his hands looked like that close up shot..all gnarly with torn nails and callouses. Made me miss him.

Last question about the Dodge Ram commercial. I thought that the photos used were fantastic. Any attributions?
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Okay...I'm ancient. I loved listening to Paul Harvey's syndicated radio talk show (I think he was one of the first back in the olden day).

His staccato style of speaking kept one interested, regardless of what he was talking about.

But most of all, I loved the way he signed off every time..."Good Day".

goooood Day! loved the uptick too-I still say it sometimes and now I understand better the blank looks I sometimes get! Never thought of Paul Harvey as of another era.

Listening to Paul Harvey brings back safe and secure memories-anytime I was listening to him I was usually being driven home by my mom or dad and later in life, I was cooking lunch as part of my job as a ranch cook in college.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think that Dodge should have made a better truck to wrap around the Cummins diesel engine if they were going to give it to God's 8th day creation. After all, God gave them both the Cummins and the Farmer. Couldn't Dodge have tried a little harder?

"To err is human" I suppose...
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Well, if we're getting down to brass tacks- my god would be handing out chevies
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

The Clydesdales at Grant's Farm are basically at the end of my street and yes they are every bit as gorgeous and friendly and cool as they look in those ads. And the foals each spring? Omg the babies! (squee)
    However; in all my drives past the farm and yes I drive past every chance I get, I have never seen a darling, dimpled trainer like that one!

I'm really surprised that so many non-horse people actually "got it"...orphan, devoted pal, then sellling then reconnecting that cause all the tears.

That speaks volumes to me about the creative effort and heart thatr went into this ad.

Kudos to all of them. I'm sure the horse raisers at AB had a creative effort in this. Speaking volumes about it all with no words -- just expression between human and horse..and it's all in the eyes.

Just a song, only like Landslide could bring the emotional equation to it and topped all off and made it real...even for those who have never experienced a life with horses. Especially babies that are sold and one never know what will ever happen to them.

Ok, just when I had gotten myself de-sensitized to the commercial they release the longer version. It adds about 30 seconds and fills in some of the gaps (that many here already did anyway). And now it seems someone is cutting those darned onions again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPG7P...&feature=share

http://www.justjared.com/2013/02/03/...-horses-video/ A short article about the commercial

A longer article about the trainer, and how it all happened.

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/colu...cle1273739.ece
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White