The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by LLDM View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing. Might be some other mineral in that block he is deficient in and trying to catch up. I know there was a sort of free choice loose mineral thing available some time ago - and some people reported their horses hoovering up some minerals initially before they settled into a more normal consumption.

Anyone know whet exactly is in Himalayan salt?

SCFarm
    I grabbed the first non-Wikipedia link (I know some people have issues with wiki), I skimmed over it, but it's pure crystalline salt.

http://products.mercola.com/himalayan-salt/

I have MUCH more of a problem with Mercola than I do with Wikipedia. At least Wiki is subject to fact checking by outsiders!

What a quack. Forty pounds of salt pales in comparison to 40 pounds of unadulterated BS!

But yeah, Himalayan salt is . . . basically salt, with some random contaminants that turn it different colors. I did have one horse that seemed to adore it, but my suspicion is after watching him over the years that he just liked the texture--he liked to lick other things that were smooth, and he would drill a big hole in a Himalayan block and just stick his tongue in there and play around--and when the block fell into pieces he'd ignore the rest.
    Click here before you buy.

Lol, I never know who likes what! But it does seem that mineral content affects coloration.

To the poster wanting to add just regular salt to the feed...I think you need to get the NON Idodized version. I cannot recall why.

But yes, I buy Morton table salt (or the generic equivilant at Walmart) adn add 1 tbsp to my mare's feed because she doesnt' drink much and doesn't seem to like the white salt block that I provide.

My gelding loves the salt block, but thankfully doesn't eat on it like candy!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    To the poster wanting to add just regular salt to the feed...I think you need to get the NON Idodized version. I cannot recall why.
    This depends ENTIRELY on where you are geographically. Many areas have sufficient iodide in the soil that adding iodide in salt is unnecessary. Other areas are deficient and adding iodide can be very beneficial.

I daresay that adding a tablespoon of salt to the overall intake of something as big as a horse is not going to matter, however, in terms of iodide intake one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    I grabbed the first non-Wikipedia link (I know some people have issues with wiki), I skimmed over it, but it's pure crystalline salt.

http://products.mercola.com/himalayan-salt/
    Excessive heat alters the natural chemical structure of the salt? How do you alter sodium and chloride ions? It's not like altering protein structure. Sheesh.

One must take anything the Great Quack Mercola says with a giant (wait for it) . . . grain of salt.

3 members found this post helpful.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Himalayan salt has potassium in it. At this point do not remember how reliable of a source it was that I read about the potassium but I read it on the interwebz so it must be true.

I didn't feed it or red salt blocks to Sonny since he was HYPP. I just didn't want to take a chance on it.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I want to point out, that I did forewarn that I grabbed the first non-Wikipedia link, but I thought wrong and should have grabbed Wikipedia. And it was to point out that Himalayan salt is...salt. With minerals. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    I want to point out, that I did forewarn that I grabbed the first non-Wikipedia link, but I thought wrong and should have grabbed Wikipedia. And it was to point out that Himalayan salt is...salt. With minerals. That's it.
    Not trying to make fun of you or anything at all. That statement just caught my eye!

In my experience, probiotics are good for horses who eat their manure. In most cases, they stop the undesirable behavior once they have been on probiotics for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by lotc2005 View Post
    In my experience, probiotics are good for horses who eat their manure. In most cases, they stop the undesirable behavior once they have been on probiotics for a day or two.
    I think the OP's horse ate 40 pounds of SALT, not SH!T.