The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jousting

Does anyone else on here joust? My husband and I have a small troupe that entertains and competes. We do the "historical" style so our tips breakaway. We do everything possible to keep our horses safe and happy. My family has 3 jousting horses that also foxhunt, event, 4h, hunter, trail. They love a variety and I think it helps keep them fresh.

Well... I play mounted games. http://www.mountedgames.org We have a joust game, but it's probably not quite the same thing. One of my games friends tried some jousting this fall, but I think it was more target oriented, she said they had to stab rings.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry. No jousting skills but sure sounds fun.

4cornersfarm - I watched the video on the website. That's awesome!

I've done "fun" classes with my students practicing ring spearing, and using pool noodles to knock cones off fence posts, but sadly, nothing more than that....although it would be awesomely fun!!

I've been thinking about doing some of the games equinekingom mentions with my horse.

Mostly so I have to work on balance and steering with my legs and also just to do fun stuff so we're not always drilling things. I think we could really enjoy it.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

What great fun you guys have, 4corners!! Those girls in the relay at about 1:10 were getting it DONE!!

Yes, I joust. We do mostly entertainment at faires and such, but I have gone to a competitive tournament too. I was looking for a good video... but I think we need to update our video collection. This one's not bad, from a town fair we did a couple of years ago. (I never did figure out what theme this fair was supposed to have... they asked us to joust, and in the background you can see a giant inflatable bouncy-house in the shape of a pirate ship being eaten by a kraken... ???) Anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5aiJUdH-_U

'plash

Hmm well my friends and I used to "joust" with crops, does that count?

Doing it for "real" definitely sounds fun!

I do SCA equestrian... I don't think I'd be up for real jousting, as I'm small and so is my horse, but quintain is fun! We've also done heads, rings, pig-sticking and spear throwing. I haven't gotten to do it much as I don't have the equipment or a trailer to take my horse to practices or events often, but I do want to do more in the future.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

analise - it is lots of fun! we have pics of it on my facebook page if you care to see how we set stuff up for the games! wanted to progress to actually having the riders "joust" using pool noodles, but wasn't sure how that would go over with the horses. We have awesome, tolerant horses, but one of the Arab mares got whacked in the face by a pool noodle and went sideways, dumping the rider. Rider got up laughing and said "and that's how NOT to do it!"

so after that I wasn't sure I wanted to actually try it in lessons without doing it myself first.... and then we moved on to other things.

the ring spearing is great for hand/eye coordination, too!

Yeah, I was planning on getting some pool noodles and some rings so we could do that. And I was going to figure out how to make some kind of target for quintain-style jousting. I don't know what else yet but I'm sure we'll come up with something.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

We do the balsa style. Lots of fun. Size doesn't matter too much, at the last tourney there was a young woman prob about 110lbs and the smallest horse was a 14'2 hand walker mare. I will see if I can attach part of our video from state fair. if not feel free to message if you want more info or to trade stories

Quote Originally Posted by ellemayo View Post
    Hmm well my friends and I used to "joust" with crops, does that count?

Doing it for "real" definitely sounds fun!
    I was about to share that we do the same thing. Whenever we are circling the arena I try to joust w. riding whip. Not everyone appreciates it

Only against a quintain... but otherwise that large resounding CRACK you just heard was my lance hitting the quintain.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com