The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default riding after baby, how long till you were back in the saddle?

I'm due in less than 2 months with my first baby. There are no complications at this point, so I'm hoping for no c-section.

How long until you were back on a horse? What made it easier or harder?

I nursed our son, so I waited a bit longer than usual. I think about 3 months. The OB will tell you 6-8 weeks.

Had mine Aug 17. Rode Dec 20. Looked like a drunk monkey.
    What makes it harder is being exhausted from the baby and finding time/energy to GET to the barn.
    What makes it easier is the eventual need to escape the baby, if only for an hour.

Two babies -- one a c-section. I was riding 4 weeks after giving birth both times but I didn't really do much for the first week or so except for walk and trot.

Realistically it was probably 6-8 weeks before I could do much.

What makes it easier? one of those sheepskin saddle covers! My trainer recommended that and it made everything more comfy.

ETA: I nursed both of mine for more than a year. Pumping before made a huge difference plus wearing a really good bra!
    Last edited by Bogie; Feb. 1, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Before I got on a horse? 3 weeks. Got on and walked around for my sanity.
    Serious riding? 12 weeks.
    Regular serious riding? He'll be 4 in April...So probably kindergarten
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

2 members found this post helpful.

2 weeks. Serious riding / competing, probably 4 weeks? I forget. But I do remember the 1st time back on my horse, vividly. It was like, Ahhhh, FREEDOM! lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

4 weeks to just get on and walk about

6-8 weeks for WTC

I rode up to 34 weeks with both pregnancies.

Rode till late Nov , gave birth in Jan, back in the saddle early March. Feb is real nasty in the North East anyways so I really didnt miss anything.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I nursed our son, so I waited a bit longer than usual. I think about 3 months. The OB will tell you 6-8 weeks.
    What does nursing have to do with it? Just curious.

2 kids, neither c-section. When I had my son I tore badly and didn't heal right. So it was 3 months before I got back on a horse and 6 months before I was comfortable riding. With my daughter it was much easier and I was back to riding 3 days after giving birth. I was back to pre-pregnancy jumping and riding normalcy within a couple of weeks, but I rode until 38 weeks, so it was effectively only a couple of weeks off. DD tagged along with me to her first horseshows at 10 weeks old.

I'm not sure what the nursing comment is about either. I nursed both of mine for the first year. The only impact that had was the support I required in a bra for that time period.

Rode until 38 weeks (but only the sane one).
    Only stopped riding when I couldn't maneuver belly into saddle when mounting.
    Back on after 3 weeks (lots of tearing as well so I was um, gingerly riding).

But don't go by other people's experience as each person is unique and we all have different births and situations.

I was a hobby "jogger" (ran consistently but was never competitive), evented (training), rode 2 horses a day and worked full time if that helps. Reasonable weight and fitness.

Congrats and good luck!

I had my baby last Aug., I was back in the saddle 8 weeks later. It might have been sooner but my horse had a hoof issue so I let that clear up completely. I'm also a nursing mother and I'd say that's been the biggest thing to deal with in terms of regular riding. If you exclusively nurse you can't be away from the baby for that long. Sure you can pump in advance, and I do, but when you return home you need to pump again what wasn't taken from you. It's do able for sure, but between all the exhaustion of a baby it might not always seem worth all the extra work before and after.

Plus babies change so much week to week, where as horses are quite the same as you remember them. I know I started the same topic when I was nearly due, I missed riding so much. Once I hopped back on and found that yes I could ride I found I didn't want to as much as I thought I would. I felt like one of those broodmares who pin their ears at anyone who looks at their baby, I didn't want to be away from my guy. I totally didn't see that coming either as I was never a baby person.

So to sum up you can but it depends on how motivated you are to ride.

2 weeks both times
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    2 kids, neither c-section. When I had my son I tore badly and didn't heal right. So it was 3 months before I got back on a horse and 6 months before I was comfortable riding. With my daughter it was much easier and I was back to riding 3 days after giving birth. I was back to pre-pregnancy jumping and riding normalcy within a couple of weeks, but I rode until 38 weeks, so it was effectively only a couple of weeks off. DD tagged along with me to her first horseshows at 10 weeks old.

I'm not sure what the nursing comment is about either. I nursed both of mine for the first year. The only impact that had was the support I required in a bra for that time period.
    I was just curious - I nursed mine for 13 and 24 months, respectively, so I obviously wasn't avoiding any activities while nursing, or I would have been absolutely nuts with boredom/frustration. I did pump, although son #1 never took bottles willingly, he used a sippy cup from about 4-5 months old, rather wastefully, but it was better than absolute confinement for me.

9 days, but I probably wouldn't recommend that to anyone else! I didn't have any issues with tearing or such, and we didn't do anything more than walk for several more weeks.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    What does nursing have to do with it? Just curious.
    This wasn't directed at me, but for me, nursing has a ton to do with it - the first two months there's a lot of "cluster feeding" where baby will nurse for hours on end in the evenings. And it's not as simple as pumping and leaving a bottle in the beginning - pumping won't stimulate production the way a baby does, plus that early you can get into a situation where they prefer bottles which can REALLY mess up the whole shebang.

Even when they're older and bottles are less of an issue, if you're away from baby for any length of time you have to pump for any missed feedings. This was a problem for me because if I wanted to go see the horses it meant bringing the damned thing, pumping while there, and pumping in the car on the way back, and it's just obnoxious and annoying (not undoable - I did it a bunch, but it puts a huge damper on any stress relief/enjoyment I got from being around the horses). I wasn't blessed with the milkbags of a holstein, so pumping/supply considerations kind of dictated everything for a while.

In any case, to the OP, I'm probably an unusual case - I moved my horse pretty far away (1.5 hours) to save money since daycare is so pricey and we're trying to save up for a new place to live in the next few years. He's on field board and not in training. So I don't get out there very often and haven't *really* ridden in over a year (I have plonked around, done some trail rides, etc, but not any serious riding since horsey isn't fit for it).

Physically, though, I was able to ride comfortably about 3.5 months out. But I had some problems with pelvic pain through the pregnancy that made riding extremely uncomfortable, and that didn't go away right away. I was healed up and stuff but it just hurt.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I got back on at 4 weeks but only in 2 point. Had a fourth degree tear so sitting was not on the agenda. I could walk-trot-canter-jump right away, though. For as long as my weak muscles could bear the constant 2 point.

I had a difficult time riding and nursing when my horse was boarded because it took a large chunk of time to get to the barn, ride and drive home. On the weekends DH would come with and bring baby. I'd nurse in the car before getting on and after getting off.

Once we moved to a farm it was much easier..you can ride with a spare hour which is easy enough to get when baby sleeps. Another reason I love having my ponies at home.

This time I hope to get on even sooner, if I can avoid the tearing.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    This wasn't directed at me, but for me, nursing has a ton to do with it....
    I meant no disrespect to anyone with my question either. I was just curious because nursing didn't impact things one way or the other for me (and neither of mine would take a bottle until they were older).

But then I had (and have) my horses at home and so the only time away from baby was actually spent riding, not commuting. That didn't even factor into my brain, so thank you for the response!

With my first it was a few months before I was back riding, but that was also because she was born in December in Maine, so I wouldn't have been riding anyway.

With my second, I quit riding much earlier into the pregnancy because of pretty severe pelvic pain that I would feel AFTER dismounting. I could barely walk! But, after the birth, I went for a trail ride only about 2 weeks later. I didn't start riding seriously (lessons and such) until, hmmm, June or July? And he was born at the beginning of April, so 2 or 3 months I guess, but that was due more to the time constraints of having two little ones rather than physical issues. My physical recovery after my second birth (both vaginal, no complications) was really fast.

Good luck with your birth, and congratulations!

Baby #1, no complications, was born on 9/13 and I was foxhunting on 11/11. Being fit and in shape before pregnancy made the rebound fast. I was teaching riding lessons and working at my full time job up until two days before the baby was born.

Good luck with your baby!