The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Decent field boots for curvy-ish calves & (maybe) elastic inserts?

So, the zippers on my Ariat Challenges (older style) bit the dust this year. I made the mistake of trying to have them replaced and the result is not pretty. They will be fine for schooling and backup but not for shows.

So I am on the boot hunt.

I have relatively skinny ankles and muscular calves (8-8.5 foot, 14-14 1/2" calf). Cannot do pull-ons, my legs look like an elephant's.

Although the now-deceased boots were medium/regulars, it looks like I would need either the 8 full or 8.5 regular in Ariat's newer styles. But I'm pretty disappointed in Ariat products anyway (have sworn off their paddock boots too) and would like opinions on a couple others...

I noticed that both the MH Venice and the Middleburg Field boot both have an elastic insert. THAT sounds heavenly, as I *can't stand* to have the blood flow to my feet cut off!

I did a search, see the MH's get some mixed reviews, so looking for a few more opinions on them, the Middleburgs, anything else that's similar for my type and price point. Also, it looks like I would actually need a slim in the MH's? That seems bizarre to me, so any thoughts about width/fit after break-in would be awesome.

I usually school in paddocks and chaps, so they don't have to be too rugged, but I was rocking some serious black duct tape for my couple rare outings this year, and as much of an eventing fashion statement as it was, I would prefer not to do it again too soon...

I have MH Richlands(?). I only wear them for shows/lessons/clinics and they have worn well for 4 years. Very comfy, big elastic gusset so they look custom fit and the calf stretches to a bit above what the size chart says. Very roomy in the foot as well.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think the middleburgs are nicer than the MH, personally.

The Tredstep Donatello would be my choice in that price range and the regular calf will fit you in a 39 foot (8.5, roughly).

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys!

Question: do the DaVinci's also have the elastic insert? I saw a good price on them somewhere.

I was in a similar situation in the fall - Ariat zippers bit the dust, and I have been so frustrated with their zippers in general that I wanted to try something else. I found that in a lot of brands (Mountain Horse, Tredstep), I couldn't quite zip the regular calves, but the full calves were huge (I could fit my whole hand inside). I finally tried on the Middleburgs in a fit of frustration and I LOVE them! The elastic means you get a much better fit through the entire calf (and the location of the elastic looks nicer than the MH's), they require NO break in, and I think they look pretty sleek overall. The one downside is that I don't think the leather is great quality (I have only ridden in mine a handful of times since I got them at the end of last show season) but for $250, even if they only last a couple of years, I think they are worth it.
    Last edited by Babble; Jan. 31, 2013 at 06:42 PM.

The davincis do not have elastic but the donatellos do have it. I just ordered the davincis on sale for just a few dollars more than the donatellos - on sale for $293 at Farm House Tack in Landrum, SC. I have a 14.5 calf so I ordered the med calf boot (15.5 calf on size chart) assuming I would need the extra space for socks/ breeches since there was no elastic. The calf is too big so I am exchanging them for the regular size calf boot. This is a great deal on this boot. Call and see if they have your size and go with the regular!

http://www.devonaire.com/Devonaire-L...-pid-2680.html

Granted, I am partial, as I work for Devon Aire, however, I have started wearing these boots instead of my Vogel's, after a blood clot in my leg left me with a slightly permanently swollen calf, requiring me to need zip ups. I love the elastic inserts, the YKK zipper is the heaviest possible and will self seal itself if it splits, and they are very comfortable. Unlike some of our competitors boots in the same (and slightly more) price range, they are fully lined. And they are the only boot on the market that go to XXL calf width.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    http://www.devonaire.com/Devonaire-L...-pid-2680.html

Granted, I am partial, as I work for Devon Aire, however, I have started wearing these boots instead of my Vogel's, after a blood clot in my leg left me with a slightly permanently swollen calf, requiring me to need zip ups. I love the elastic inserts, the YKK zipper is the heaviest possible and will self seal itself if it splits, and they are very comfortable. Unlike some of our competitors boots in the same (and slightly more) price range, they are fully lined. And they are the only boot on the market that go to XXL calf width.
    I loved the Camdens when I tried them on and bought them. HOWEVER the zipper busted the first day. Then the other two pair that they had left the zippers were bad. So I ordered some. After 3 weeks of them not coming in and the company telling the tack store they didn't know when they would get more in my size I gave up. Which is sad, since I really liked how those boots looked

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    I loved the Camdens when I tried them on and bought them. HOWEVER the zipper busted the first day. Then the other two pair that they had left the zippers were bad. So I ordered some. After 3 weeks of them not coming in and the company telling the tack store they didn't know when they would get more in my size I gave up. Which is sad, since I really liked how those boots looked
    Sorry to hear about this..how long ago was this? The zipper has been replaced and while there were shipping issues, this is no longer a problem and has been resolved. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know! The company is family owned for 40 years and very easy to work with.