The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Training in CT (or New England area)

Can anyone offer some recommendations on good trainers in the New England area? I'm in CT, so that would be preferred, but would be open to other areas for a good trainer. I have a horse that has always been ridden under saddle and I'm interested in seeing if he'd be a good candidate to learn to drive. Although I've been involved with horses my whole life, I've got no experience in this area, so I will definitely need some professional assistance! Thanks in advance.

What breed? What part of CT?

I know several excellent people who have Morgans, ASBs or Hackneys. A couple are in CT.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

He's an appendix - and he's boarded in Broad Brook. But I would be open to sending him somewhere for training depending on the options.

Do you want to drive him just for fun or are you looking to compete in open pleasure driving competitions or AQHA shows or combined driving or ???
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    Do you want to drive him just for fun or are you looking to compete in open pleasure driving competitions or AQHA shows or combined driving or ???
    You need to choose your style, because they are only alike in that animal is hitched to a wheeled vehicle! Some parts can be used in several ways, but not the breed driving.

I highly recommend John Bennett in Putnam. He's got about 50 years' experience teaching all kinds of horses to ride and drive. And he's funny, too!
    http://www.justhorses.com/ind/c338.html
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

I will give my recommendation for David Arnold of New Venture Stables based in RI. I don't have his contact info anymore, however he is still very active on the saddlebred/morgan/hackney circuit. He put 90 days on my TB stallion (who apparently thinks driving is the bee's knees). I trusted him to train my own horse after watching him train many clients' horses for several years. I felt that he is a kind and sympathetic trainer that puts the horse first.

This training has been put to good use; we now enjoy skijoring!

Quote Originally Posted by hansiska View Post
    I highly recommend John Bennett in Putnam. He's got about 50 years' experience teaching all kinds of horses to ride and drive. And he's funny, too!
    http://www.justhorses.com/ind/c338.html
    JB is A+.

1 members found this post helpful.

I third the recommendation of John Bennett.
    Our eventer/foxhunter is there learning his driving basics. I just watched him get hooked to a cart this morning and couldn't be happier with the progress!

1 members found this post helpful.