The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What are your favorite boots (people boots, that is)?

I have black Ariat field boots that I like very much, but if I'm able to continue with hunting, I'd like to get a pair of regular/dress boots.
    I've been watching eBay and sale ads, but I'm wondering what the favorite boots are out there...without breaking the bank.
    I do like my Ariats. I previously had Mountain Horse boots, and they held up really well, but they're a little bulky, and they come in full sizes only, so I have to choose between too big and too small..
    What do you like for boots?

My Ariat Baker boots! I wear them to ride and I wear them when I'm going somewhere that is in no way horse related. They are comfy, waterproof and beautiful.

(I know they aren't what you're looking for, but I love them too much not to answer)

I have a pair of Ariat Monancos (they have a wide toe box) and I have a pair of Mountain Horse. I wear the Mountain Horse ones more often because they are warmer and I can wear a pair of thick socks with them, the Monacos are "pretty", but don't keep my feet warm.

You have to think about the conditions in which you will be wearing them. Usually it is cooler/colder than warmer for hunting...I would think especially so in snowed in CT!

Wishing some sunshine your way!!

My favorite boots? My Mountain Horse Supremes (however, they 1) are field boots, 2) have zippers, and as a result of those two things, are therefore totally not hunt appropriate).

My 2nd favorite boots, and my favorite hunt boots, are my Dehners (dress, pull on). I put tops on them, so I also have a pair of Ariat dress boots (no zips) for when riding sidesaddle and capping.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Over the years I have bought two pair of used Dehners for fox hunting- the second pair just a smidge size larger in the foot and calf which makes them perfect for wearing winter weight socks & breeches.

If I hadn't come across the Dehners I'd probably be looking at Ariats options in dress boots. many folks in the hunt use the Ariat dress boot with the rear zipper and are pleased with them.

Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

My Dehners. But alas they have brown tops so I wear them rarely these days when whipping in where I'm asked to go w/scarlet (or green for beagling).

My 25+ year old off the shelf plain black Marlboroughs are still hanging in there, barely.

Happily I recently was given some no longer being used custom boots, two pairs black one pair brown field boots so I think I am set for life. They are all 35+ years old but well cared for so plenty of life left in 'em.

Thumbs up JMHO!

Der Dau's. Can't kill 'em!!!
    And way cheaper new than Dehners & Vogels....way....
    Last edited by wateryglen; Feb. 10, 2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: oh I forgot to add....

Did you check out the Middleburg Tack Exchange when you were down here last coth hunt?They do have an online site.
    I love my Dehners and got 20 years out of them. But, I have to wear custom as I don't fit the measurements of the retail ones. Big Bummer!
    Peales are suppose to be wonderful. There are occasionally some at the MTE. They frequently come with custom trees, sigh.

It is going to get down to what fits you. Why not hit some of your tack shops and try on the various styles? Be sure to get a sole that has traction. If you are riding more, you may develop more calf muscles. Pehaps a boot that can adjust for that, or be stretched. They do need to take the abuse of the real world. Thickets and other obstacles leave their marks.

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    Der Dau's. Can't kill 'em!!!
    And way cheaper new than Dehners & Vogels....way....
    The best friend of a fox hunter is a *former* dressage rider. Both pairs of my Dehners came from different dressage gals who used the boots only for shows- like schooled in something else and slipped the boots on when their number was being called. The newer pair was made in 1993. The other pair is circa 1985 and I forgot I bought some Dehners with black patent leather tops off eBay last year. They are 50 years old. Hardly a blemish on them but smaller so only good during warm hunts.

Thanks for the hints. There were a beautiful pair of vintage men's Dehners recently on eBay that would have fit me, but alas, they had tops, and i'm a LOOONG way from that.

I do like my Ariat field boots, so I'll probably end up with Ariats again, perhaps just buying a pair 1/2 size bigger for socks.

When I'm in VA for the hunt, I'll check out Middleburg. With boots, it's always better to be able to try them on (and to have help getting them off!)

I've had my eye on a pair of used brown Dehner field boots, but they're $275 even on eBay, and I think my money's better spent on a pair of dress boots.

Not to steal the thread, does anyone have the brown-topped DeNiro boots? I know they're not super traditional with the italian cut, but they're the only off the rack boots with cuffs that will fit my very tall calves. thanks!
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Dehners all the way.

And for an amazing price on new Dehner field boots ($399!) check out "Big Black Boots": http://www.boot.com/bdstock.htm

I bought a pair of these for foxhunting last Fall.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

DEHNERS.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

love my Dehners. great fit, super comfortable, and can take a beating

you should ask around, I bet its easy to get tops removed (if you see another pair for sale)

I love my hand-me-down Arait dress boots. I believe their Maestro's. Everyone swears by Dehner and Vogel, and perhaps one day I'll save up for a pair of my own. Of course, with my, umm, slightly oversized calfs, customs they will be. Until then, I'll proudly don my Ariat's in any field.

PS - I'm sure your Ariat Field boots are more than acceptable for our upcoming outing

Of course, re-reading this thread I'm going to check out Trakehner's link to reasonably priced Dehner's!

I got off the shelf Dehners that did not fit me, and they are unfortunately sitting in their box new downstairs. Be careful re the return policy. They will exchange, but if the foot is not cut quite right for you, you too will own a brand new pair of boot that you cannot wear.

PMF, I'm glad you like your Maestros..that's one of the ones I was looking at. The Dehners are more than I'd like to spend now, if I can help it. Although I'll keep watching for used. I did find a great price on a pair of used Effinghams, but they're extra tall, and I just can't make that work. I don't believe they would ever drop enough for me to bend my knees.
    Maybe Middleburg will have something I can try when I'm in VA soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    PMF, I'm glad you like your Maestros..that's one of the ones I was looking at. The Dehners are more than I'd like to spend now, if I can help it. Although I'll keep watching for used. I did find a great price on a pair of used Effinghams, but they're extra tall, and I just can't make that work. I don't believe they would ever drop enough for me to bend my knees.
    Maybe Middleburg will have something I can try when I'm in VA soon.
    You can get the Effinghams cut down very easily, and for not much $$. So if they fit you elsewhere, it is something to consider.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

My first pair of tall boots were Effinghams. I enjoyed them very much. So much that I wore them out.

Note to self....paddock boots and half chaps/full chaps are cheaper and easier to replace than tall boots.