Posting for a friend: (Mary Hunter mehhunter@gmail.com)

I volunteer with Camp Summit, which is a non-profit camp for people with special needs in Argyle, really close to you. The camp is currently in search of someone who would be willing to donate a horse to add to the camp’s wonderful horse program.

Could you help me spread the word to any horse people you know who might have a suitable horse or who might know someone who would have a suitable horse that they would be willing to donate?

The horse would need to be a gelding, sound at the walk, in good health, “bomb proof,” and very comfortable with inexperienced riders. The camp is a registered 501(c)3, so any horse donated to the camp could be written off as a tax-donation. The horse would need to be a full sized horse (not a pony) since the camp serves both children and adults.

The camp’s mission is to provide barrier-free outdoor experiences that promote personal growth and foster independence for children and adults with disabilities. The camp is unique, in that it serves both children and adults. There are very few camps for adults with disabilities. Another very cool thing about Camp Summit is that no camper is turned away because of financial need – over 90% of the campers receive financial assistance to come to camp.

The camp has a small horse program (currently 3 horses and 2 minis). Campers get to go for lead line trail rides at the walk through the camp’s wooded areas. I worked for the camp in the summer of 2009 as a wrangler – for many of the campers riding the horses is one of their favorite camp activities.

If you could help me spread the word, I would really appreciate it!

Here’s the camp’s website, if you’re interested in learning more about it: http://www.campsummittx.org/

Mary Hunter
mehhunter@gmail.com