The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about Non-warmblood Stallion Advertisement

In this very warmblood dominated sport horse world, where do the non-warmblood stallion owners advertise?

This is an honest question, not meant to cause an uproar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

I am not too sure, but I do know in the 2013 "Warmblood Stallions of North America" issue I just got there are some non-warmblood stallions. (ie. appaloosa, halflinger...)

Really? I'll have to check that out.
    I know there must be some place for the sport horse stallions that fall under the non-warmblood category.

Anyone out there with Appaloosa, Irish Draught, Thoroughbred, Welsh pony, or otherwise non-warmblood sport horse stallion that has input on how you advertise?
    Regulus RDL

Quote Originally Posted by Kryzlstoff View Post
    Really? I'll have to check that out.
    I know there must be some place for the sport horse stallions that fall under the non-warmblood category.

Anyone out there with Appaloosa, Irish Draught, Thoroughbred, Welsh pony, or otherwise non-warmblood sport horse stallion that has input on how you advertise?
    In my totally non-expert opinion, there really isn't. Local promotion seems to be the way to go, unless your stallion (TB, for example) is approved by one or more of the warmblood registries, and then they just get lumped in with the WB's in all the usual places.

There is a local-to-me stallion that falls into the non-WB (~41% TB blood, though!) category that I'm considering as a sporthorse sire. I just happened upon him by accident, though, through a mutual friend. They are waiting to promote him as a sporthorse sire until he has a more solid competition record of his own, and hopefully a few babies doing well in sporthorse disciplines.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I was afraid of that, Heinz 57.
    I'd still love more feedback, as the only real options I am aware of are local advertisement, as you mentioned. Which I find odd!
    Not that I am anti-warmblood in any way, they are dominating for a reason, but they are not always the answer for every mare or every owner/rider.

So I would think there would be some avenue for advertising non-warmblood sport horse sires... right?
    Regulus RDL

warmbloods-for-sale has stallion listings available for most sporthorse breeds. (Not sure about QHs, but know there ISH, TB, etc). Equine.com is also used. Both allow for videos to be uploaded.

Not sure if you are looking for a stallion or wanting to promote a stallion. If you need to promote and are in TX, you might try the local/regional magazines...SW Horse Trader and Lone Star Report. Also any local/regional discipline groups (eventing, dressage, etc) and local/regional breed groups who might be interested in the stallion.

On the internet, again, look at discipline websites and breed groups as well as for groups on FaceBook.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

1 members found this post helpful.

I see stallion ads for ID/IDSH on the normal horse sale sites like Dreamhorse, USEA and breed publications. FB is another forum they will advertise.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

What sport is he aimed towards? I'd be advertising in your sport's publications. Have an upcoming (non-traditonal) eventer? Advertise in the USEA magazine, or if that's beyond your budget, go for the local area websites. Dressage? How many different dressage publications are out there? Most run a stallion issue once a year. What about breed orgainizations? Don't APHA and AQHA have some sort of publication? If not, get ad space on a program at a show. If you're more of a local market flavor, find your local "horse & pony" type of paper and put a stud ad in it.

Also don't underestimate the power of social media. A Facebook page is free and quick and can reach lots of folks. Their ad rates are reasonable too and you can even select your target audience (people who live in x region and who's profiles indicate that they like Connemaras or combined driving). A good web page would be the second step. Also make sure there are videos of your stallion on YouTube with links back to your web page. Tag them so that people searching for gypsy vanners, fresians, dressage horses (or whatever you've got) can find your video easily with a key word search.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

1 members found this post helpful.

These are awesome responses! I have a young off-breed colt and was looking around at different stallion directories and at magazine ads and it just seemed like warmbloods have a very strong presence and was curious what there was to be done for those stallions not represented by a warmblood registry.

I'm nowhere near ready to advertise, but I most certainly want to be prepared, and was getting rather confused and discouraged.

These are great ideas, JWB and cyriz's mom! Are there any more suggestions that haven't been covered?
    Regulus RDL

One more...get him out there doing something. I think it's especially critical for non-warmblood stallions to prove themselves in sport.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

5 members found this post helpful.

That I was counting on.
    I think his first show may be in March and he will be 9 months old. I definitely believe in them proving themselves and not relying on just a pedigree, registry, or looks. And you are right, it is much more important for non-warmblood stallions to prove themselves.
    Regulus RDL

I own one of those non-traditional sport horse stallions - and agree, advertising in Warmblood heavy publications doesn't work. We use local on-line advertising, Facebook (social media), and performance - he is out showing, and has shown through GP. If your horse IS registered, don't forget to advertise through your registry.

Then, reality check - very few stallions (Warmblood or other) are money making horses (wait, did I just say that - money making horse??? Is there such thing), so go into it with eyes open.

The biggest way to promote your stallion is to turn out some high quality foals - let his babies (and their owners) do the promoting. I really value the referrals from all the great buyers I've dealt with over the years!

Hahahahaha! I like that little reality check! No, If I was expecting a money making stallion....well, that would be naive.
    He is first and foremost my special guy and future competition horse, but I am still planning on campaigning him as intelligently as I can.
    Regulus RDL

I agree about getting good foals out there performing. I would add that stallion owners should keep in mind that part of the advertising they do - print or online - is not just for themselves but for their mare owners who have babies by their stallion. In other words, it's a two-way street. You hope your mare owners are thrilled with their foal(s) and tell everyone about your stallion, but you also need to keep your stallion visible to support your mare owners - by increasing the potential market value of his foals.
    Anna Goebel, publisher
    Warmblood Stallions of North America
    Creating a network to promote stallions and connect breeders in North America
    www.WarmbloodStallionsNA.com

Dreamhorse.com, Equine.com. website for farm, alternate breed registry magazine (APHA in my case). The APHA thing didn't work out so well for me though as my stallion previous stallion was all TB (sabino Pinto/dual registered with APHA) and the current one is his son/ a mostly TB Paint (73% TB) and the folks shopping the APHA Journal....there are a few hunter folks but mostly stock horse discipline types.