The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default trailer repair costs?

Sorry if it's been posted before, but couldn't find it.

Anyone have a rough idea how much it would cost to rewire electric brakes on a trailer?

Thanks!
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

Just rewiring should be easy and inexpensive. Wires are wires -- materials are cheap and anyone who understands how they work should be able to do it quickly. Just call up your local RV or trailer dealer and ask for a quote.

The price will also depend on if you are asking them to trouble shoot an issue and fix it or just start from scratch and put in a whole new wiring harness.

Sometimes trouble shooting these things can be very time consuming and end up expensive because of that.

Do call your local RV place and ask for prices.

I had breaks and lights done for less than a couple hundred I think. There was a lot of stuff done, so I don't remember the exact break-down. I have breaks on both axles.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Usually brakes and lights run me a few hundred, including when the trailer guy found that one of our brakes on our new-to-us trailer had been put on upside down (??) and he had to change out a bunch of broken lights.

Call and ask - our repair guy is always pretty good at giving an estimate that is fairly accurate.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Actually, wires aren't simply wires. Cheap wire is just that-cheap wire. A lot of trailer wires for some time now has been copper coated steel, whether on a horse trailer, or a boat trailer. The copper coating gets comprimised for all sorts of reasons, and the steel rusts. Rusty steel is a poor conductor. Rusty wire on a rusty connection looses the ability to ground, and without a good ground, even the best connections everywhere else mean nothing.

Using crimp-on connectors just compounds the problems.

I wire every kind of trailer, from boat trailers to horse trailers, with tin coated copper. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=720

Solder all connections, and cover with urethane caulking. I have trailers I built back in the '80s that go in and out of the water, and I've never had to redo any wiring.

Do it right, and you don't have to redo it, or pay someone to fix something more than it would have cost to do it right to start with.