The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Unfortunately many families have no idea what horsey services are worth. Ha ha, you mean you don't wait till the shoes wear out?? Sadly, the Mom probably is under the impression that you were taking advantage of them. You were very kind, but no good deed will go unpunished. Put on your happy face as word travels quickly. Offer one of your schoolies to finish the month, or suggest turning the horse out, and giving the young lady a break during the cold weather.

Heh heh. Like no one has ever made that same excuse before. Oh, gee! Moi?? OP, we've seen it all before. <rolly eyes>
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Op, why don't you ask for advice from your lovely non-horse friend who helped you last time?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Hahaha!

When will people learn?
    Nothing gets past COTH.
    This is why, when I joined a few months ago, I deliberately chose to use my real name. As a bulletin board speed bump, a cautionary reminder to think before hittiing "Post Reply."

Yeah, I hear your busy fingers clicking away to screenshot this, to mock me in future when I get my hothead hypocritical self into trouble

BTW, whenever someone on COTH types "Popcorn," my laptop translates it as: "A pint of Haagen-Dazs Chocolate-Chocolate Chip and a 20 oz. Mountain Dew." Damn britches keep shrinking . . .

10 members found this post helpful.

Go ahead and print the imaginary invoice, OP. You can bet mom will pull it out at the next place to show the BO and they will have probably have a good laugh. At your expense.

1 members found this post helpful.

While this is awfully entertaining, am I the only person that sees this as a very highly cynical way of thinking? I really like to see the best in people, and would never imagine this route as the first and primary one to take.

So as terribly funny as it is, isn't it terrible that you all assume and think the worst of people without even knowing them? That this is where you go with things immediately? That's what the world has come to.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

What just happened here?

And HOW does this keep happening?!?!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

dolblete i agree. i honestly don't get why folks so enjoy being mean and intentionally posting the shite they do. It seems that piling on is what so many here enjoy the mostest.

They even think they have solved some great mystery and pat each other on the back....

It's sad that there are so many unkind people. ....

5 members found this post helpful.

And yet I'll find a way to carry on, MBM.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

9 members found this post helpful.

It's sad that it's common for people to use public discussion boards to screw with the public. It's all a matter of opinion...others find it "mean" when they're lied to. And some find it "mean" if anyone points out that someone is screwing with you. All depends on the reasons people frequent this BB and the different personalities they have. I'm one to find the liars "mean" and am perplexed by people who judge those who point out tall stories. Especially since there have been numerous times on here where liars have screwed Cothers who try to help over. So I guess I'm a mean person too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

18 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, Misty.

I understand kindness is a virtue. And I am kind.

But honesty and accountability are a virtue, too.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

9 members found this post helpful.

Great post, Misty!

And clearly the people that like to point out we are all mean find it some how to not be mean that they go from thread to thread telling everyone else they are mean.

5 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Seriously? It's mean to call someone out for lying...come on, people. We're (mostly) adults here. Being held accountable for your actions is part of adult life, right?

Its pretty sad, IMO, if you have to lie on an INTERNET FORUM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Seriously? It's mean to call someone out for lying...come on, people. We're (mostly) adults here. Being held accountable for your actions is part of adult life, right?

Its pretty sad, IMO, if you have to lie on an INTERNET FORUM.
    Wait- no one lies on the internet? (bon jour). =)
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i honestly don't get why folks so enjoy being mean and intentionally posting the shite they do.
    It's sad that there are so many unkind people. ....
    I don't intentionally post shite (sic). It's just that sometimes people post bullshite.

And then when I (or others) call them out on their bullshite, and they keep on bullshiteing us ... well we all know where shite rolls, so it's all down hill from there.

Nothing unkind about it. It's the law of physics.

Despite "our" judgmental nature, I think COTH is pretty forgiving.

That over-reactive show dad, going off about an inappropriate judge/steward? around his kid, is a good example.

Once you put your hackles down, the COTH crowd quickly puts down theirs as well, IMO.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by aWp View Post
    I'm still laughing at this. Really, it's silly at this point. No one here has a similar email address to someone else's screenname?
    Nope. Never met a person with a screen name similar to my email address. Course, my screen name is VERY similar to my own email address... that seems VERY common...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    Wait- no one lies on the internet? (bon jour). =)
    hahaha I know....I still think its kinda pathetic though.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    aWp, I agree with others who tell you to not invoice anything and just cut your losses now.
    I disagree with this. There is nothing wrong with giving a client an invoice with certain things marked "no charge" or cutting a price and marking it "courtesy discount".

While I agree that the mom may have friends saying "you pay how much?!?" to her, that's not OP's problem. OP's barn charges X. What barn Y charges is irrelevant.

It's kind of ironic that I'm reading this thread today as I just got done tearing myself a new one for letting a client do something that I should never let my clients do - won't happen again. Thank you for the reminder...
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

@Barn Rules,
    to me,only way the invoice makes sense is if it includes half of the monthly board cost as a credit b/c OP was getting a free half-lease on that horse, to use in other lessons. The training rides and longeing were also partly to benefit her other students, since she said the horse was otherwise unsafe. I'd be curious what the OP's actual net 'cost' was, once you factor in the free lease.
    In theory, yes, but the difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality but, in reality, there is a difference.