The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Nameplate, tag, or nothing?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nameplate. The leather wears out with time anyway.

27 71.05%
  • Name Tag.

2 5.26%
  • Nothing.

9 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Spinoff "stolen tack" Let's talk about name plates vs tags

With all of the talk about stolen tack, I'm wondering about name plates vs tags on my new tack.

I was inspecting my old tack the other day and I noticed that the holes from the name tags have small cracks.

Of course, some might say "yay, a reason to buy new tack." I am on a budget, but I like to buy good quality so it will last a long time.

Would you put new nameplates on the bridle crown and the martingale or would you change to a name tag to avoid weakening the leather?

My Edgewood martingale is in perfect condition except for those cracks, but now it is unsafe. I searched to see if you can buy the neck piece separately, but I'm not finding any.

So, what say you? Nameplate, tag, or nothing?

Look for replacement parts when the leather wears?
    Last edited by shadytrake; Dec. 1, 2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: revision
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

Neither - I have a small engraver and I engrave my initials (and sometimes more info depending on how much room there is) on the underside of all the bridle pieces, on the inside of the shank/cheek/ring on my bits, inside my halter, on the underside of my saddle flaps - pretty much on every piece that could be separated from the whole. It's invisible, most people don't know it's there, and when someone takes something I can easily reclaim it - it can't be removed and no one could explain engraving MY name onto their tack LOL!

2 members found this post helpful.

Got micro chip from vet. Saddler inserted it, it scans when the wand is waved over the seat.

6 members found this post helpful.

I do nameplate but I would engrave/leather stamp if I could. I don't like the way the nametag looks. I've never had something start cracking due to the holes from the nameplate, but I also live in the humid South.

Quote Originally Posted by csaper58 View Post
    Got micro chip from vet. Saddler inserted it, it scans when the wand is waved over the seat.
    I like this idea!!

I'd agree, if you put a name-plate in a place where there is tension when in use (like where the nameplates go on bridles - the poll) eventually, the holes will weaken the integrity of the fibers in the leather and you will get cracking. I haven't gotten a name-plate for this reason - I prefer a tag. The look doesn't matter to me - the tag is a good way of saying "this is mine and I got this tag to deter thieves". Better than nothing, IMHO.

Tiffany B, where/who does your engraving?
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

1 members found this post helpful.

I have saddle name plates and also use a small numbered id label on each saddle from ReuniteIt.com (by the LoJack people).
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I got DH mini-brands of his state-registered brand. I plan on getting some trash leather and practicing with them, and then branding my nicer tack. One is super small, less than an inch across, and the other is a bit more than an inch. I figure I'll stick them on the sweat flaps of the saddles, and on the crown of my two nicer bridles.

The same place I ordered these also does initials and other shapes .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I have 10+ year old bridles with crown plates and no cracking or other wear due to the name plate holes!? My suspicion is that the cracking is due to care of the bridle or leather quality--not just the plate and the bridle would have started to show the wear with or without the plate.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    Neither - I have a small engraver and I engrave my initials (and sometimes more info depending on how much room there is) on the underside of all the bridle pieces, on the inside of the shank/cheek/ring on my bits, inside my halter, on the underside of my saddle flaps - pretty much on every piece that could be separated from the whole. It's invisible, most people don't know it's there, and when someone takes something I can easily reclaim it - it can't be removed and no one could explain engraving MY name onto their tack LOL!
    Source for a home leather engraver?
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I have 10+ year old bridles with crown plates and no cracking or other wear due to the name plate holes!? My suspicion is that the cracking is due to care of the bridle or leather quality--not just the plate and the bridle would have started to show the wear with or without the plate.
    It has less to do with the care than it does the fact that it is leather... Leather is composed of fibrous strands, when you punch a hole into a strip of leather you ARE weakening the structure of the leather - whether you want to admit it or not. You wouldn't punch a hole into a rope and expect it to hold, would you?

Then I have no explanation for my decade old bridles showing no problems?!
    ~Veronica

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I got DH mini-brands of his state-registered brand. I plan on getting some trash leather and practicing with them, and then branding my nicer tack. One is super small, less than an inch across, and the other is a bit more than an inch. I figure I'll stick them on the sweat flaps of the saddles, and on the crown of my two nicer bridles.

The same place I ordered these also does initials and other shapes .
    Most excellent.

Who made your micro-branding iron and how do you heat it up and use it?

I have a monogram I designed that's great and I have wanted to make a brand version of that for tack…. for.ever., but I didn't know how to find someone who could make it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I figure that the name tag on the bridle is for quick ID so someone can grab the correct one. If you really want to keep track of stuff use a leather stamp or a brand. I do crownpiece, caveson, and reins since I figure the latter two are the likeliest to get separated from the bridle and go walking off.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Then I have no explanation for my decade old bridles showing no problems?!
    And likewise, I guess there is no explanation for all your "???????????"s. With all due respect, no strip of leather is the same - all leather ages differently. Just because you haven't experienced cracking because you take admirable and enviable care of your leather doesn't mean that it never happens to anyone else????????????

That's the point I am trying to make! That leather wears how it wears regardless of a tack plate. In answer to the OP's question which was whether tack plates caused premature wear to her bridle.
    ~Veronica

I have a monogram I designed that's great and I have wanted to make a brand version of that for tack…. for.ever., but I didn't know how to find someone who could make it.
    http://www.lhbrandingirons.com/branders/specialty.asp

Good company. I don't know how small they could make a branding iron, but if it can be done, they will do a good job of it.

I have 'branded' my own brand on expensive leather items using a wood-burning pen from a 'toy' craft set.
    http://www.amazon.com/SE-WP30-Wood-b.../dp/B000JT3EZA
    My own brand is two digits and uncomplicated (think, say, diamond 4, though that's not my brand).
    My brand is registered in my state, as well.

And "?!" in combination is sort of internet speak for "huh" which is different than throwing on a jillion exclamation points.

The OP said she had leather with plates and saw deterioration. You suggested it did. I pointed out, empirically, I have very old bridles with plates that DON'T show the deterioration. Therefore, the deterioration might be caused by something other than the plates.

I don't know what got's you in such a snit beowolf. Honestly, such an innocuous topic. But whatever. Defend the good name of dead cow hides everywhere

Might I add... for those worried about the integrity of leather with holes in it... last time I checked a bridle has many holes punched in it (you know, so you can buckle it in several locations) and the entire thing is made of cut pieces of leather. Never seen a cow with a bridle hanging off it
    ~Veronica

7 members found this post helpful.

I bought used Voltaire from the rep and it came with a tag (with a scan code on it) thats pretty well affixed to the back of the flap and recorded by Voltaire. You'd need to rip the flap to get it off. Not sure if its a deterrent or not but its not coming off.

The engraver is made by Dremel, cost about $15.

http://www.toolup.com/dremel_290-01_...-engraver.aspx

Does metal, leather, wood... great for brush handles, bits, tack, just about anything.

I have a "Brandit" which is at least 25 years old. You insert three letters in the end of the thing and plug it in and it heats up and you "brand" your stuff with it! I use my initials.

Works great. Got it from a catalogue a long time ago.