The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Verhan Freeshoulder Saddle??

Anyone here have any experience with the Verhan Freeshoulder Saddles? I was interested in the regular Verhans a while ago, but I ended up going with a Butet instead. And now, wouldn't you know, I need something else to help with her wide shoulders and overall wideness.

He's based out of Ocala, or at least he used to be, so it appeals to me that hes so close to me.

Fabulous. I will never have another saddle. My 13 y/o Butet did not fit my TB mare at all. She is hot and super sensitive. Since switching to the shoulders free her stride has opened up tremendously and she is so settled! I think we may make a hunter out of her yet! Bernardo does a fantastic job fitting, even came all the way to Memphis to do it. The buffalo leather broke in quickly as well. Also, for years my Butet was pitching me forward on various horses, I don't have that in the Verhan.
    "You can shout curses, but you can't cry."-Joe Fargis

Quote Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
    Fabulous. I will never have another saddle. My 13 y/o Butet did not fit my TB mare at all. She is hot and super sensitive. Since switching to the shoulders free her stride has opened up tremendously and she is so settled! I think we may make a hunter out of her yet! Bernardo does a fantastic job fitting, even came all the way to Memphis to do it. The buffalo leather broke in quickly as well. Also, for years my Butet was pitching me forward on various horses, I don't have that in the Verhan.
    Glad to hear you've had success with yours! I have a very cold-backed mare that I just want to be comfortable now, and these seemed really interesting. Wish they had their old website though :-/

The only place I've heard of them is in Memphis where one barn reps them and convinced a client she needed a new verhan (which they got commission on) instead of my used saddle she was trying and liked. I think you can do better for the price.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I had the same troubles with my Beval 2000 and my Stubben saddles. I just could not get the right fit up front. I went with County. Placed correctly and not forward over the shoulder, it works great on multiple horses and ponies.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight