The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone read Horse Journal?

Is it any good? I just got a subscription offer in the mail. I'm kind of a magazine-aholic. If you folks give it a thumbs up I'm going for it!

I get it. I think it's a good one, lots of useful stuff every issue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Is that the one that Mike Plumb was involved in years ago? I got it while he was involved, then dropped it when it changed hands. Had some good stuff in it when I was reading it.

IMO, it used to be a lot better. Kind of light weight as of late.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Is that the one that Mike Plumb was involved in years ago? I got it while he was involved, then dropped it when it changed hands. Had some good stuff in it when I was reading it.
    me too. Haven't read it in oh, since mid 90s.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Second that... I used to love it and save all the issues, then after it changed hands it just wasn't worth the money.

I noticed an improvement in the HJ about a year or so ago. There have been changes and additions to the staff which included adding former COTH editor John Strassburger.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I haven't received HJ in years though sometimes I'll pick it up and flip through at the tack shop. So far still not enough of a reason to subscribe again.

I still get it, I feel like they are doing fewer product reviews than they used to, but I get good info often enough to save them and keep subscribing. I have made purchasing decisions based on their evaluations.

Hmmmm, such a toss up, LOL! I'll wait another day and see if any more opinions come in.

Yep – remembered LOVING it in the 1990’s (back when I lived at home and mom had a subscription) – Purchased a subscription myself in 2008 – wasn’t impressed, especially for the cost and never renewed – maybe it is better again?

I got a good deal on a trial subscription, but I'm disappointed in the content. A woman in a booth at Equine Affaire tried to rope me into extending it. I told her it didn't have enough content, which really raised her eyebrows, and that I wouldn't be renewing. I too feel they don't have enough product reviews to make it worth the cost of a regular subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by walktrot View Post
    I got a good deal on a trial subscription, but I'm disappointed in the content. A woman in a booth at Equine Affaire tried to rope me into extending it. I told her it didn't have enough content, which really raised her eyebrows, and that I wouldn't be renewing. I too feel they don't have enough product reviews to make it worth the cost of a regular subscription.
    It's not just that. The advertisement to actual content ratio is extremely low these days. I know some teen magazines that advertise less stuff!

You can go to their web site and dip into it to make up your mind. I like some of their blogs. http://www.horse-journal.com/

I take it and enjoy it, but not as much as the previous years. I have gotten some good info-blankets for larger horses. I miss all the product reviews too.

The big plus is that it does not have advertisements. Thus, they don't have to pull their punches if some product is not up to par, just because it might hurt ad revenue.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I did have it for a year and enjoyed it. I also kept all my issues to review if there was a particular product I was shopping for in the future. My only complaint was that it's an American magazine and Im in Canada, so the prices are different and some products are not available locally.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**