The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Petition to Save Pebble Beach Shows

I just saw this on Facebook. I have no idea if it will make a difference, but you never know.

http://signon.org/sign/save-pebble-b...b&r_by=6927598

For those who missed the recent news, they are planning to turn the lovely, unique, historic horse show grounds into a parking lot and a driving range.

http://www.proequest.com/news/2013/0...to-development

I signed it. I hope it helps. Loved Pebble Beach shows!

I just signed it, posted it to Facebook, and will start a simiar thread on the Dressage forum.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Signed & shared.....

They have wanted to do this for years. Don't count on any turn around here.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

1 members found this post helpful.

Contact info for Pebble Beach Company if anyone wishes to write or call:

Ryan Pierce
    Public Relations Manager
    pierce@pebblebeach.com
    831-625-8557

Mark Verbonich
    VP Community Affairs
    verbonim@pebblebeach.com
    831-625-8444
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Sad. Unfortunately, they did this to my native Loudoun County, VA, too. Now it is all disgustingly overpopulated.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

The petition has nearly 300 signatures now ... the numbers are rising fast !
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Having judged pebble Beach shows I know the resort. This is resort owned property with which they can do whatever they want. With millions of golfers making a pilgrimage to their mecca of Pebble Beach each year having their prime real estate used for several horse shows per year is not their highest and best use. Frankly I am amazed that it has lasted this long. This isn't farm land like what you lost in Loudon county, this is resort owned land that is right next to the Pebble Beach Club and shopping area.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    November 14-16, 2014

Actually had friends who lived off 17 (?) Mile Drive and spectated at that show-I don't think there is anything like it anywhere. Unique experience. But friends moved there for Golf. They had a backyard trail horse on their property at the time but did not care for the horse events and shows with trucks and trailers. They tolerated it because it was there first but I can see most residents might have supported the additional golf facility and parking over horse shows in the midst of this private and expensive enclave.

Golf is a basically a year round sport and driving ranges can operate 24/7 and...that is a Golf centered resort so...they will do what the numbers indicate is best for them-not like it is going to be a strip mall-it will stay a private enclavewith restricted access just like it's always been.

Why not put the energy into developing or improving another venue in the area instead of trying to influence a private community and resort that has already determined they prefer more Golf services?

Wasn't the state going to do something with Ft Ord? I realize it's sand dunes and not Pebble Beach but it's also not a privately owned Golf center surrounded by bazillion dollar homes with golf course views that have been there a long time.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

2 members found this post helpful.

You're right. No sense in letting the Pebble Beach Company know how those who invest in equestrian sports feel about having one of their top venues closed. Granted, it may be a done deal, but to let it go in silence wouldn't say much about us and our committment to sustaining and promoting our sport.

If it were the other way around - a well established golf course closing to expand an equestrian center - do you believe that golfers would let it happen without conveying their disappointment ?

Info for the Ft. Ord/Monterey Horsepark is here http://www.montereyhorsepark.org/
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Now that Monterey Horse Park looks like something to put your well meaning enthusiasm into. That looks like the future of horse sports in that area.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    November 14-16, 2014

That Monterrey Horse Park looks like it's a good effort in the right direction.

It's not Pebble Beach but if the residents of that colony and owners of the resort no longer want the equestrian activities, the people they bring there and to center on golf? That's their perogative and, IMO kind of a waste of time and effort that could go to something at the new horse park which is much more publically accesssible and could be used by more activities year round.

The Pebble Beach Company can make alot more money on golf, including at least one nationally televised PGA event yearly, they are not going to be effected by any feedback from us.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post

The Pebble Beach Company can make alot more money on golf, including at least one nationally televised PGA event yearly, they are not going to be effected by any feedback from us.
    No one disputes the financial prowess of PGA golf over horse shows at Pebble Beach.

Thanks for your feedback, but it may not affect many people.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I just received an email that included the following information. Again, I personally don't know enough about the situation to say whether or not it will make a difference. But for what it's worth:

I just got word from [edit], who lives in Pebble Beach, that there is an easement dating back to 1967 which dedicates the polo field and horse show grounds to equestrian/recreational use in perpetuity. A golf driving range could be construed as a recreational activity, but a parking lot for car shows is in no way recreational! I think we have some solid ground to stand on!

I went to school at RLS off 17 mile drive and had my horses at the Polo Field. Thanks for posting this. The equestrian activities and having my boy with me were all that kept me sane at boarding school. It maks me sad to think this could go to the golfers. I signed the pettition. Great to see the post about the easement.

Saving the Pebble Beach Horse Shows is not something that is out of the question. Yes, the golfers have a big voice. Yes, the resort is privately owned. No, there is nowhere else in the nearby area that would even resemble what was special about the PB shows.

The horse park in seaside on the former Ft.Ord site had been in the proposition stage for years when we lived out there, and they were going to "Start working on it!" any time when we left there in 2007. As you can see, they have made tremendous progress (not). The FT. Ord site unfortunately still has a lot of environmental cleanup that must be finished before ANY use by horses could be considered there (ordinance, waste, etc), and the public in the area for some reason is extremely against it. The sentiment in the Seaside community when we were there was already ugly before the "racetrack" portion was added. I can only imagine how they feel about it now. You are talking about the hippiest of hippy tree-hugger granola crunchers (I say this with love, as many of them are my very good friends) and they are not about to let that area be developed into ANYTHING without a fight. They were only too glad to see the baby killers move out and the base closed. Believe me, you have a MUCH better chance of seeing the PB shows saved than that horse park ever built, at least on the scale that is proposed.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

The petition is just shy of 600 names right now.
    That's an average of 86 new names a day.

We may not change PBC's mind, but we'll be heard.
    -Amor vincit omnia-