The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Why should the people reselling not be able to ask higher prices? They, and yes in my case it would be we, take quite a bit of risk in buying the horses and then seeing what they will end up being. Due to being in WI I have never went to see a any of the TBs I bought before purchase. I use to actually buy them buy the trailer load to resell as Pony Club horses etc. But when the market went down for OTTBs I stopped buying that many a year.
    Yes,if I have a horse that is showing potential for something and is sound and going well w/t/c and jumping I am going to ask what I feel the horse is worth, even if I got it for cheap or free. The purchase price has nothing to do with the sale price. You could spend 1K on a horse and turn around and ask and get 15K. And flip side is you could spend 20K on a horse and later give it away.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    You could spend 1K on a horse and turn around and ask and get 15K. And flip side is you could spend 20K on a horse and later give it away.
    Ain't that the truth!

Couture, I agree 100%. I also think that a lot of OTTBs are underpriced. I specialize in Connemara crosses and I rarely can find one in the price range of the OTTBs.

ann

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    Why should the people reselling not be able to ask higher prices? They, and yes in my case it would be we, take quite a bit of risk in buying the horses and then seeing what they will end up being. Due to being in WI I have never went to see a any of the TBs I bought before purchase. I use to actually buy them buy the trailer load to resell as Pony Club horses etc. But when the market went down for OTTBs I stopped buying that many a year.
    Yes,if I have a horse that is showing potential for something and is sound and going well w/t/c and jumping I am going to ask what I feel the horse is worth, even if I got it for cheap or free. The purchase price has nothing to do with the sale price. You could spend 1K on a horse and turn around and ask and get 15K. And flip side is you could spend 20K on a horse and later give it away.
    Last edited by Winding Down; Feb. 2, 2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: I know how to speel Connemara, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    Couture, I agree 100%. I also think that a lot of OTTBs are underpriced. I specialize in Conemara crosses and I rarely can find one in the price range of the OTTBs.

ann
    I agree too. A horse with good training is a horse with good training, and can be priced as high as the market can bear....no matter what the breed or career at beginning of life.

It's great that TB's can be a "budget buy" if you find them on the track....that unfortunately hurts them later on 'cause even if you've got a TB at 4th level jumping 4'6'' courses, you get people saying "Oh, it's "just" a TB, your price is too high."

3 members found this post helpful.

I just sold 4 into AA show hunter homes and have sold several to the big time AA jumper buyers all for solid prices...and have orders for more but that type of horse is very particular and has to be just that special...

The resellers markup has to cover overhead and the risk and the ones that either don't or can't sell and the ones that turn out to need alot more time. With a reseller you are also paying for the lifetime's worth of experience. They have purchased from a solid and reputable track trainer. They have researched and possibly found where the horse was originally started know they were broke right the first time. They know the pedigrees and know people on track who can offer thumbs up or down regarding the health or soundness or attitude of the horse. They start with the right stuff.
    When you shop, you can get on the horse, poke it and prod it and see how it handles a non racing set up. You can free school it and spend time with the seller. You cannot do any of that at the track.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

4 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

IMO, for what it's worth, if the TB is ever going to come back as a breed at the top levels, it's going to take knowledgeable resellers to get it there. Years ago, the pipeline for USET horses went through resellers.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    IMO, for what it's worth, if the TB is ever going to come back as a breed at the top levels, it's going to take knowledgeable resellers to get it there. Years ago, the pipeline for USET horses went through resellers.
    We are trying Vineyard and I do look at pedigrees and have my favorite nicks...

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    The resellers markup has to cover overhead and the risk and the ones that either don't or can't sell and the ones that turn out to need alot more time. With a reseller you are also paying for the lifetime's worth of experience. They have purchased from a solid and reputable track trainer. They have researched and possibly found where the horse was originally started know they were broke right the first time. They know the pedigrees and know people on track who can offer thumbs up or down regarding the health or soundness or attitude of the horse. They start with the right stuff.
    When you shop, you can get on the horse, poke it and prod it and see how it handles a non racing set up. You can free school it and spend time with the seller. You cannot do any of that at the track.
    Lonny very spoken and right on the mark on every point...

As for reseller prices, they can ask whatever they want. You can always offer less. Remember, we all are excited about the prospect of the TB returning to the higher ranks but if the bigger money interests (BNT's) start buying them, it will pull prices up for the rest of us. That reseller who used to have a ceiling of about (say) $7500 a few years ago, might find their top horses selling for $10k now.

I'm sure that if a reseller has had a horse on their page for 6 months, they might be willing to entertain an offer for the sake of cash flow. That said, the nicest ones fly out, as can be seen by anyone who follows JBRP's barn page on FB.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

1 members found this post helpful.