The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I was shopping a couple of months ago, and was also surprised at the demand (considering the time of year), especially for the big, attractive geldings. I do worry about all the mares; they don't seem to be moving as well. Maybe there should be some special "mare only" classes at some of the all-TB shows. Or some other way to promote them?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

1 members found this post helpful.

And add a special chestnut mare class-I think those our real hard to move-but you got to love the heart and attitude of a mare!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    Maybe it is time for an OTTB Forum on Chronofhorse.com.
    Absolutely! I wished for that when I was horse shopping last year!
    Fox Wood Farm

Default Absolutely!

Finger Lakes Finests Thoroughbreds had its best year ever. And these were horses who were pretty much straight off the track.

It's a trend that seems to be increasing momentum and I couldn't be happier about it.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    And add a special chestnut mare class-I think those our real hard to move-but you got to love the heart and attitude of a mare!

The perfect trifecta - OTTB, mare, and chestnut....This one is going to her first show this weekend! She's just now 90 days off the track. I may be biased, but I think she'll stack up just fine against the warmbloods! I've got high hopes for her.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNxsuLuFREo
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    I was shopping a couple of months ago, and was also surprised at the demand (considering the time of year), especially for the big, attractive geldings. I do worry about all the mares; they don't seem to be moving as well. Maybe there should be some special "mare only" classes at some of the all-TB shows. Or some other way to promote them?
    I would prefer a mare. But I mostly see stud colts/geldings coming off the track. The mares don't seem to be as common as racers, which means they would be less common as an OTTB too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I would prefer a mare. But I mostly see stud colts/geldings coming off the track. The mares don't seem to be as common as racers, which means they would be less common as an OTTB too.
    There is always plenty of what you're NOT looking for.

In years past, I was always obsessed with gorgeous geldings...and I feel like all there was was mares.

Then last fall, when I was looking specifically for a mare, I swear to god it was allllll boys! (I did find the perfect girl, though!) But the moral of the story is you should be prepared to buy what you want at any single moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    No, I was referring to the fact that the mares seem to languish on the CANTER, etc. sites. Are there are less races written for mares than colts/geldings? I hadn't ever really noticed a big difference.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I agree that it seems like people are coming around about TBs. Could some of it be that they ARE less expensive than WBs? Even the flashy/big/fancy TB costs less than a mediocre WB in many cases. The economy is regaining enough that a certain demographic can keep/show/ride a horse, but the huge price of a nice WB prospect is still not in the budget, while the price for a nice TB prospect is?

I know that I haven't kept any OTTBs lately long enough to do more than get them WTC in a show horse style (vs. in a race horse style) before I'm getting offers via word of mouth. I seriously haven't even advertised my last few horses before they sold--for full asking price. I started to think I was pricing them too low. :P

Sheila
    Chestnut Run Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    So why won't anyone take mine??
    I have one for sale too!

I agree completely, huge increase in interest this year in the OTTB's. Lot's for sale of course, and I'm seeing the mares taking much longer to move.
    http://tennantsporthorses.com/stallion-services/

Proudly representing the outstanding stallions, Ballzauber, Sea Accounts xx, Sea Lion xx, and Tagaelen!

I work with an OTTB placement group and while we took slightly less horses for 2012, we placed every single one except two lifers that we are going to support. We have a unique model and we also have, on average, about a 40% of our placement homes return for a second horse.. but over the last few years I've seen the numbers of new owners increase. I have assumed this has been because the stigma is starting to drop away. It's about time.. it wasn't THAT long ago that TBs were a top choice for a fancy horse. I'm thinking a lot of information is now available to people considering an off the track project, so the concept is less daunting.

I personally love TBs. I grew up riding many, have owned an OTTB in the past, and currently own a TB who was bred for jumping (you can see him in my profile or signature!). This last time shopping I specifically went looking for a TB. They are my breed of choice.
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

In regards to the mares, there seems to be less of them to start since many are sent to the breeding shed, even the not so fast ones. Mares as racehorses tend to push themselves harder and have a higher pain tolerance than the boys, so you could see more injuries with them. Also more people don't care for mares than people who don't care for geldings. You either see wanted ads saying "Geldings only" or not specifying age. People don't seek out mares as much it seems.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I think many of us just were late to discover their awesomeness. I fully confess I thought they were all broken, flighty horses in my era of ineducation up until 2011. Now I own one and think they are the most amazing sporthorses EVAH! I have been fully converted by my quiet, fantastic-minded, sound and gorgeous boy -- so I'm just excited to see more eager fans!

I have to think a huge part of this is sites like canter, new vocations, etc. becoming more common, more widespread, and used more by trainers. People can 'shop' from across the country at multiple tracks and see hundreds of horses, with conformation photos and even videos. People can filter through hundreds of horses with minimal effort, rather then spending hours seeing maybe a dozen horses at the track. It's much harder for the average person to find a horse straight off their local track, they won't have contacts or know who to call. Plus that method doesn't allow for impulse buys (ie see it online, want it, buy it)

In turn, people drooling over horses straight off the track online decide they want a cheap good looking horse, but don't have the skill set or aren't willing to take the risk for one straight OTT. So, in steps places like three plain bays, offering horses that have been let down, maybe some basic training, description of their temperament and videos of their movement.

It seems like the TBs are getting a little less popular with the very BNT, but more popular with the rest of us, which is kind of backward from "old eventing."

Some of it must be that OTTBs are more accessible than they used to be, with the listing groups (CANTER, FLF, etc.), the resellers--you don't need a trainer with track connections anymore. And the retraining expos and social media fan clubs help as well. I'm sure economics is a part of it too, especially as there seem to be fewer non-TB/non-wbs in eventing (appy/morgan/qh etc.).

I really hope that they make a comeback in H/J, as well, since that is a larger market.

I have 3 OTTBs now, sold one last fall, wasn't innundated with calls but it wasn't too long or painful.

I will say though, and this may be coming from always getting my OTTBs directly from the track or from trainers/exercise riders I know, I think the mark up some people put on OTTBs is insane.

Doing some free jumping and a little w/t/c should not hike the price up to 10 or 15k. I think some of that is taking advantage of people who want an OTTB, but are afraid to take the risk going directly to the track.

That being said, if I could get 10 or 15k for my mare I'd take it in a heartbeat! Sometimes its just frustrating seeing ALBOTTB (a little bit off the track thoroughbred) being marketed for SO much and becoming completely out of potential good owners price range.

I'm honestly NOT being snarky or hating on anyone's business, again, I wish I could get a lot for my horse, but i'm just astonished by how much some people will pay.

I am just starting to dip my toes into the search. I am hoping to wait until summer (so I have my fencing set up at home and am not boarding multiple horses) but can't seem to help myself.

I guess I am with Meredith and seeing suprisingly high prices for not a lot of training. Perhaps it is my location in the upper midwest? We don't seem to have the same amount available as those on the east coast. I know of one OTTB rehoming effort in MN, but they don't have nearly the numbers CANTER seems to have, etc.

I would actually prefer a mare, but for a resale project lean towards a gelding. I'm 5'9" I need something over 15'3," or at least with some girth or I can click my heels.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Meredith some people will pay a good premium to be able to see the w/t/c and jump loose and more if the horse is some what let down and restarted so they can get on it.....They are happy to have a re seller take the risk get the let down crazy over with. Also there are those amazingly over the top to die for big athletic finds that deserve a bigger price tag which frequently places the horse in a top notch professional barn thus boosting the OTTB......Yes I agree it is insane to think $10 to 15 k for a horse and I agree to a point. Some of my OTTB cost ME $5k at the track so put that into perspective also....trainers with quality well cared for well bred horses private sales are well aware what a quality horse will fetch.

i have a super nice one i bought from the trainer. we let him down and restarted him. went to a combined test at beg.novice level 2 months off the track because he told us he was ready. never been in a dressage ring and won the dressage. judge asked what breed of wb he was. dappled grey 4 yr.old. 16.2. he has now been to hits to school and jumped around the ticketed warmup at 3'3 without batting an eye. also has schooled cross country at several places. but i took all of the risk and that's why his price is maybe a little more than what people think an ottb should be.but well worth every penny. i think people are willing to pay for someone else to do the base work on them. i just sold another one last night 17.0 4 yr.old 2nd level dressage and jumping around 3'6 with a lead change. but i also sell a lot straight from the training centers and straight off the tracks as well.just glad to see the ottb making a comeback!
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

3 members found this post helpful.