The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Upswing in OTTB Sales Any Comments

So since there are a lot of OTTB lovers on this board and a fair number or re sellers.

Have your sales and requests for OTTB horses picked up or are you not seeing anything new?

I think 2013 is going to be The Year for a Bigger return and demand than ever for OTTB across the board....

Poor Isabeau... sorry I couldn't resist.

So glad to hear this, love my OTTBs. I hope others weigh in with the same feedback!

1 members found this post helpful.

I am not selling mine, but I have recently been getting a ton of "Oh, I miss my TB" or "My next horse will be a TB.." comments......and this is while mine is being a 4yo nightmare!

Edit: And yes, when I was shopping last year, I was hunting specifically for an OTTB. Or a sassy pony.

Well, I'm looking strictly for a TB, if that helps.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

It has been absolutely nuts and I can't get them in fast enough to supply the demand. Not even joking! The nice thing is that I have had people wanting smaller horses as well which is excellent since we have many lovely CANTER horse who aren't the magical 16h.

I typically sell the CANTER Mid Atlantic owned horses which have already been let down and they have anywhere from 30-90 days on them if not a bit more (because we prefer that each horse goes out with a really good base so we know what career it would like and what type of rider it fits) and they are selling very well for good prices.

I admit to being a bit shocked with my two personal resale horses that I bought because they had minimal training on them (pretty much just let down off track) and yet people were still very eager to see them before I even got them going much. They were the magic 3-5yr 16+ h very fancy types but I will still very excited to see the absolute demand. I only put them on facebook and they sold each to the first person who saw them for good money.

There will always be those people who are comfortable buying from the track but I do think those of us who do resales of horses that are already off the track are finding business to be good because people know they can come and sit on the horses or that we can at least get a better read on soundness and suitablity.

I work full-time so I can only do a few retraining/resales at a time and I thought winter would be slow. I sold the whole barn out and am now back picking up more horses to get going. I am absolutely thrilled!!!!
    Last edited by Jleegriffith; Jan. 30, 2013 at 07:45 PM.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    It has been absolutely nuts and I can't get them in fast enough to supply the demand. Not even joking! The nice thing is that I have had people wanting smaller horses as well which is excellent since we have many lovely CANTER horse who aren't the magical 16h.

I work full-time so I can only do a few retraining/resales at a time and I thought winter would be slow. I sold the whole barn out and am now back picking up more horses to get going. I am absolutely thrilled!!!!
    As long as you save one for me (we spoke by email this morning, I think!)

I think they're starting to come back into "fashion" at least with eventers. The all TB shows, RRTP, TIP, etc are encouraging TB pride. Someone has come up with a fancy logo and where people used to say "looks like a WB", people are now proud to say it's a TB. Just my observation.

Also the financial uncertainty of the past few years.... I wouldn't say it's gotten "better" but I would say that people have adjusted and learned to live with the new normal. People are not so terrified of horse ownership again.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Alterageous- I got you

I love TBs, they are my ride of choice And, I am so very pleased that the campaign seems to be working! Nothing better than a good TB.

As an aside, I just had my first experience w/ a private re-seller, and it was nice being able to see the horse free jump BEFORE I bought it, instead of bringing it home and hoping it can jump!

2 members found this post helpful.

I rode my Canter Pa mare today here in Aiken with her Canter saddle pads and had 4 or 5 people remark on how great it was to see the Canter horses going on

While at the MD Expo this year, I spoke with a BN H/J Trainer who said that she is now actively looking for OTTBs for clients so they can compete in the TB-only shows! So, where before she was sent out to look for warmbloods, she's now going to racetracks and other places to find thoroughbreds. Awesome.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

10 members found this post helpful.

Im looking to get one this year too! probably not til late spring/summer! but im already perusing the net haha

I'm an OTTB lover and owner, true to my name...and while a warmblood is lovely, there's nothing quite like the TB spirit and try. I will be perfectly content if every one of my horses is an OTTB.

I love my OTTB and love all my previous OTTBs as well. Just cannot beat them IMO and I am glad that there is a new want for them again. I have always been proud to say that I own a Thoroughbred.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Pittman View Post
    While at the MD Expo this year, I spoke with a BN H/J Trainer who said that she is now actively looking for OTTBs for clients so they can compete in the TB-only shows! So, where before she was sent out to look for warmbloods, she's now going to racetracks and other places to find thoroughbreds. Awesome.
    Yes here on the Mid Atlantic ...but not so much the Mid West Zones yet....I have clients there who will buy OTTB for jumpers but can t get their customers convinced they can be judged equally against a WB......Julie Winkles Chronicle Article said it best...

.It's the Judges who need to reward the not dumbed down dull trip and appreciate the horse not lack of horsemanship.

The H/J trainers are looking for horses to compete in the All TB classes and shows now sprouting up every where not so much for the bigger AA open shows. When we see Scott Stewart and Tosh Hunt the Pletchers riding OTTB in the big open classes that's when you will really see the tide has turned. They may privately laud them but not until they grace those full,page congratulatory ads in Chronicle winning big classes will the tide will full swing in the H/J ring....

But we have made huge strides in educating the public that the misnomer of open mouth head in the hair inverted run away sweating spooky horse is just a myth...

i too am crazy busy selling ottb's. so nice to finally see people figuring out they are so much more just just bred to run. i have a barn full of them and get emails and calls everyday.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

So why won't anyone take mine??

I am of two minds on this.

First, I am thrilled that OTTBs are once again getting their due. Congrats to the Pittmans, whom I think have done a fabulous job with their retraining programs. Not only do they showcase lovely horses, they demonstrate clearly how trainable and talented they are. Judybigredpony and JLeeGriffith are also helping the uninitiated see the OTTBs for what they are conformationally and functionally. I know there are many other folks as well, but these names stand out in my book.

BUT, I know that if I'm ever in the market again, I won't have my pick of the shedrow any more! (Just kidding.)

I'm also pleased that the industry and TB lovers have tried to address the problem of "surplus" TBs. With the efforts undertaken, the issue hasn't been resolved but progress seems to be happening. And media like CoTH identifying OTTBs that excel hasn't hurt either!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth Callahan View Post
    I rode my Canter Pa mare today here in Aiken with her Canter saddle pads and had 4 or 5 people remark on how great it was to see the Canter horses going on
    What???!!! There are saddle pads???? WANT!!!!

Maybe it is time for an OTTB Forum on Chronofhorse.com.