The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Best Joint Supplement for Horses and Dogs

My Mom has recently asked if I knew of anyone using a joint supplement on both their horses and dogs (and had good results with it). She has tried several joint supplements in the past and has recently had some increasing stiffness from my pony and a few of her dogs. I figured you guys would know best! It would be really nice if you can use one product for both horse and dog since she will probably need to buy it in bulk. Also if it won't break the bank that would be much appreciated

Horse is a 27 Yr old Arab with windpuffs/ slight arthritis. She get's around just fine, but it will make my Mom feel better if she is getting joint supps. Mare goes for trail rides maybe 1-3x a month (and acts like she's 7).Other then that she is a very cute lawn ornament. Mom has used Cosequin/Msm products before as well as grand flex and a bunch of others.

Dogs: *11 Y/o Pit. Arthris is getting worse (I'm sure the -10* temps aren't helping). She's having trouble doing stairs, but yet goes for her walks in the woods every day and keeps up.

*12 Y/o Chesapeake, Arthritis. Still neurotic with tennis balls and playing fetch. Starting to slow down as well. He also has skin allergies (seasonal) so anything that would help with that would be great.

12y/o Rotti X with Lyme and 10 Y/o golden that just looks old .

All the above dogs still swim in the river (seasonal of course) and go for daily walks (1-3Mi) in a state forest (off leash). They run like idiots and then crash for the day. They all get Salmon added to their food (for the ones with skin funk). She has glucosamine tabs she's been giving the geriatrics.

She's just looking for something that can be easily given and isn't too costly (and works of course). So what is your preference? TIA

And some photos of the old ones (and some of the others). Pictures help right?
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6006901_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...5_909962_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7573885_n.jpg
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

Horses and dogs are so different physiologically that I'd be really suspicious of any product that claimed to have equal efficacy in both species. But I'm pretty skeptical about oral joint supplements in general. From what I understand omnivores (like dogs and humans) have an easier time absorbing some of the products in typical oral joint supplements. Horses, not as much.

If you are really wanting to use a product for both species, I'd probably go with products made specifically FOR that species and not try to find a "one size fits all".

Everybody seems to sing the praises of the Cosequin line of products, and I think they make species-specific formulations.
    Click here before you buy.

IF you fry a cheeseburger dump grease on dry dogfood . to help with skin . hoof .

Thanks deltawave, She probably will do seperate products. Just curious if there was a magic supp. that would work for both that we didn't already think of. (wishful thinking, I know)

Hoof- Funny you mention cheeseburger. Parents are both vegitarians but the dogs do get a top dressing of boiled hamburg, veggies, fresh eggs. Her dogs are always nice and shiny
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

Might want to check out Pentosan for both horses and dogs.

Started my horse on it about 6 months ago and he is doing great.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

Oral joint supplements are poorly absorbed by horses. If you want one product for all species, I'd suggest you try one of the concentrated oral HA gels- it's supposedly absorbed readily across the mucus membranes of the mouth if squirted directly into the mouth or top-dressed on the food, so it should work better on the horses than most of the other products. It works really well on dogs (and people), and many people report improvements in their horses too.

You could also try cetyl-M- you can buy it in big buckets intended for horses, but just adjust the dose down to dog-size, and many dogs respond quite dramatically to oral cetyl-M, going from dead lame to frisky after only a few days on it. Horses the response isn't as dramatic, but you should see some improvement.

for dogs, the best thing is to feed fish oil- clinically proven. It's the "magic ingredient" in the awful prescription foods they sell to treat dog arthritis. You need to feed a lot of it for a symptomatic dog- 3 to 5% of the diet by weight. So you need to weigh on a kitchen scale the dog's usual daily allotment of dry kibble, and for every 97 grams of kibble you'll give 3 grams of fish oil. You can buy fish oil fairly cheaply in grocery stores, pharmacies, and places like Costco.

Thanks wendy I'll look into them.

They have been on fish oil in the past, I'm not sure if she's still using it. They are getting salmon though (spoiled dogs eh? She's eating bland veggie burgers and the dogs get gourmet foods!). The salmon seems to be helping-so she says ( I know she's feeding salmon since my dog went over to play and reeked of fish all that night... ew I hate seafood!).

Not a joint supplement pe se, but has she looked into MSM? I use it on my dogs and my horses. It helps with keeping inflamation down, which can be half the battle with arthritis. It is relatively cheap and readily eaten by most dogs and horses, in my experience. We ran out for a couple of days last month, and found out how very much it was helping my 13 year old labrador. By the third day without it, he could hardly walk and had trouble getting up and down. His arthritis is in his back. By the second day back on MSM, he was moving easily, and by the 4th day back on it, he was his normal self. For the dogs, I put about 1 1/2 tsp or up to a TBSP on their dry food a day ad they eat it just like that. If they don't like the taste, you could always just mix it in a bite of canned dog food like a treat. My horses have never not eaten it, even the picky eaters.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

We seen amazing improvements in both horses and dogs (and also people) with LubriSyn - a synthetic form of HA that really works...several of the older horses in our barn act years younger on it, and one of our employees was going to put her boxer to sleep due to painful arthritis. Since she has been on it you wouldn't know she was the same dog...running and playing like a puppy! It is expensive, but really does work (and no, I don't sell it, or know anyone who does) We get ours online....

What about looking into Previcox (Firocoxib)? it's an NSAID and works well for both horses and dogs with pain from arthritic changes. I know you said supplements, but neutraceuticals rarely, if ever have any scientific backing to their support their efficacy claims. Cosequin is one that actually has some research behind it. If you're going to put money into something, it would be nice to put it towards something that is proven to be effective, no?
    "There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse." - Robert Smith Surtees

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll have her look into the LubriSyn and the Previcox.

Chestnut- they are on MSM currently. So depending on the product she gets (I know a bunch contain MSM). Will determine if she keeps using it. Thanks!

I give my older dog Previcox which seems to help and I know several people who use it with their horses.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.