The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default magic cushion: hard crust on top normal?

I need a quick response please. is a hard crust on the magic cushion xtreme normal? or is it old? just bought it at the tack store.
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

My guess would be old. When I bought my tub it was entirely moist and tacky.

My tub is almost 2 years old now, the plastic tub a bit deformed from me kicking it to try to pop the top off in winter, so it doesn't have the most air-tight seal any more. While the old bits along the upper inside edges are a bit firmer and dryer feeling, its all still very pliable and useable after all this time... nothing is crusty.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

the layer of hardish bits are only on the top layer and are still kinda pliable and flexible. it is kinda like leaving the top of doh for a little jit. not enough to get fully hard.

I was wondering if I should take it back since I am still close to the store. thanks!
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

That doesn't sound too bad then. When MC really gets hard it can turn into cement. While mine was entirely moist when new, a little drying doesn't strike me as abnormal.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Mine dried out a little bit at the top once I opened it and then got some of it on the edges so I couldn't really screw it on tight anymore. The rest underneath that layer stayed very moist, and even the drier parts were still mostly pliable and usable, and it worked just fine as far as removing soreness in my mare's feet.

You might have to warm up the container and mix the ingredients with a large spatula or wooden spoon. The liquid separates and falls to the bottom of the container and the packing "floats" to the top. Hot tap water should be enough heat to soften it to mixing consistency.