The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Wow! I'm so surprised about no schnauzer! And I forgot about apricot poodles entirely, woops :-) Hmmmmm now I really don't know what her other half is.... Poodle and jack? Though id almost expect there to be some white markings or other color variation if that was the case...
    Wonder if anyone else has a better idea than me, I'm stumped :-)
    If she were in our rescue without knowing her parents we probably would have said schnauzer mix,... maybe I would have come around to suggesting poodle as well, but who knows!
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

It's been proven repeatedly that it's impossible to identify breed composition of mixed-breed dogs by looking at them.
    Most mixed-breed dogs don't have any purebreds in their ancestry at all.
    I'm also unsure why the OP thinks she knows what breed(s) went into the dog- just because the shelter/rescue told her a breed composition doesn't mean it's correct; they were probably just guessing, incorrectly, like everyone else. It's very common for rescues/shelters to state confidently it's X mix, but they just made that up. Even if they know the mother's identity, they still have to guess what breed the mother is, and no one is ever sure who the father is- some litters have more than one father, too, just to make things even more fun.
    The only way to tell for sure is to do a DNA test.

1 members found this post helpful.

Both of my dogs parents were owned by the same people. They had papers for the father and you could clearly see what the mother was. The owners of the parents didn't have either dog fixed and didn't think that they would breed because of their size difference. They were unable to handle a litter of puppies and handed them over to the rescue when they were old enough to leave the mother. So in this case the rescue wasn't guessing they got to meet both parents and talk to the owners of them about their breeding and past.

I saw that the father was a toy poodle? So what is the mother?

wendy, you just don't know how to have any fun, do you? It's not politics, it's a puppy!

3 members found this post helpful.

ok.....drumroll please lol ..... she is a miniature goldendoodle. Her dad is a toy poodle and her mom was a smaller golden retriever. Like I said the mom could have been mixed with something but for the most part looked like a golden retriever. If the dna tests were cheaper I'd do it just for giggles to see what if anything else is in her mix from the mom's side.

Your dog is absolutely ADORABLE.

Along with whatever else, wirehaired dachshund (probably mini) sure looks like part of it.

Seriously, just about the cutest dog I've ever seen.

adorable/cutie pie cross?
    This!

This was my fav too! Made me laugh out loud. Thanks everyone she is a very sweet dog and I'm lucky to have her. It was great to hear everyone's thoughts on what she is.

Quote Originally Posted by suze View Post
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by stargzng386 View Post
    ok.....drumroll please lol ..... she is a miniature goldendoodle. Her dad is a toy poodle and her mom was a smaller golden retriever. Like I said the mom could have been mixed with something but for the most part looked like a golden retriever. If the dna tests were cheaper I'd do it just for giggles to see what if anything else is in her mix from the mom's side.
    Very interesting. I really do not see the poodle in her, in either the hair or body, and I have seen mini goldendoodles. Interesting how genetics work and what comes out in the wash...
    Chicken Fancier

"Mischief Managed!"

I need to dig out a better pic of her sopping wet. When she is wet I really see poodle in her snout and eyes. I have seen other minigoldendoodles online that have straighter fur and look more like her.

We had a toy apricot poodle and I didn't see that in there, but could see her looking like one of our dog club member's mini schnauzers, in a yorkie color, although now that you say apricot, that too could be.

That no one can tell on mixes is what our animal control director kept telling us, but it didn't keep us from guessing, some times wildly, as here.

She looks like a wonderful dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    Very interesting. I really do not see the poodle in her, in either the hair or body, and I have seen mini goldendoodles. Interesting how genetics work and what comes out in the wash...
    I've had doodle-whatists come in looking like full poodles to looking like no poodle blood and everything in between.

Pretty much anything someone tells me is a doodle, I'll believe it.

Wow I'm actually super surprised! Don't know if I would've ever guessed that combo.

Same here I do wonder though, when people hear she's a golden-doodle if they think that just by getting 'a golden-doodle' they should expect the dog to look like that. As others have said, those doodles can come out looking like anything!! There's just so much variation! Her look in particular is one that i absolutely adore. I like the really clunky type heads on some doodles, but not as much as that little blocky -yet compact- sweet thing you have here.
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

It really is hard to tell with mixes. My first dog was a poodle x beagle cross (we didn't know we had a "Boodle" back then) that looked very much like a black cocker spaniel. I am always fascinated by the basenji x cocker cross photos in the Scott and Fuller genetics & social behavior book. The F1s are all over the place, but when you continue back crossing, you can get some that look purebred in amazingly few generations. OP your puppy is adorable!

Oh man. She looks EXACTLY like the dog I had as a kid - got her when I was 10 or 11. Her name was Sheba.

She is SO cute.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!