The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help can't find a paticular dog leash

so right now I have a regular nylon dog leash that I bought when I first got my puppy. My plan was to upgrade to leather with a leather collar with the engraved nameplate. So here is my problem. One of the features of my nylon leash is awesome but I don't see it on any of the leather leashes. It's a d-ring attached to where the handle is. It lets me take the leash and sling it across my body and clip it while I walk my dog offleash. I do walk her offleash every morning so i really want to be able to do this. Here is an example online I just can't find a leather one with a matching collar

http://www.dogcollarsboutique.com/Plain-Dog-Leashes-1-2-inch-width-29-colors-p-1578.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=prodfeed&ut m_term=&utm_content=1578&utm_campaign=CATAGORYFEED S&site=google_product_listing_ads&adtype=pla&kw={k eyword}&gclid=CJSDxp_0kLUCFUid4AodeTUAmw

you can just put a carabiner through the handle of any leash and get the same effect.
    are you sure you want a leather leash? I don't like them, personally, since they tend to get slippery when wet and can break at the most inconvenient moments, plus some dogs think they are yummy.
    My favorites are the Gripper leashes- you can order these with build-in O rings in the handle ( I use it for the same purpose you do- sling it around your body when walking off leash.)

I don't want to just put a carabiner because then it will hang loose when I'm holding the leash and annoy me. She is off leash 95% of the time so it will mostly only be used when training and shouldn't be wet. She also doesn't chew on anything she has yet to figure out how to destuff a toy lol. Do you have a link to the Gripper leashes? I can look and see if I like them

I think of the leashes with various rings often called 'police leads.' Would this work?

One here:
    http://www.allk-9.com/double-leather...ack-p-811.html
    And here:
    http://www.allk-9.com/ultra-leather-dog-leash-p-91.html
    Here too:
    http://www.rayallen.com/category/Leather_Working_Leads

I personally don't use anything but leather leashes. And while doing protection work with my 85 lb Dobe I've never had my leather leash break...
    I can't stand nylon or cotton leashes....I have a 25ft cotton leash I use for tracking and don't like it as it soaks up water like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by stargzng386 View Post
    so right now I have a regular nylon dog leash that I bought when I first got my puppy. My plan was to upgrade to leather with a leather collar with the engraved nameplate. So here is my problem. One of the features of my nylon leash is awesome but I don't see it on any of the leather leashes. It's a d-ring attached to where the handle is. It lets me take the leash and sling it across my body and clip it while I walk my dog offleash. I do walk her offleash every morning so i really want to be able to do this. Here is an example online I just can't find a leather one with a matching collar
    I just got a lovely leather collar with nameplate from Quillins, who makes the fantastic halters. They also do leashes, with the note on them that they'll do custom lengths, etc if called, so perhaps you can call them and ask about making you something custom that's exactly what you want?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    I just got a lovely leather collar with nameplate from Quillins, who makes the fantastic halters. They also do leashes, with the note on them that they'll do custom lengths, etc if called, so perhaps you can call them and ask about making you something custom that's exactly what you want?
    Oh, excellent idea. I bet their leashes are lovely. My dogs wear their collars, too.

I like beta for leashes, personally. Has a leather "feel" but are damned near indestructible and cheap enough where I don't care if one walks away or if the dog drags it down the street. You can also toss em in the washing machine when they get dirty.

I got my last pair from these guys:

http://www.bigblackhorse.com/dogs/dog-leashes.html

And they do note that they'll do custom stuff, if you contact them.

Thanks! I am going to call them to see if they can make what I want. I am a purist and do really want real leather

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post

Bridgeport equipment makes really nice stuff. I have one of their police leads that has all the rings to make it an over the shoulder lead.

I must be misunderstanding, because couldn't you just hook the handle of the leash to the snap, or even put it through the snap if it isn't too wide, when you sling it across your body? That's what I do -- at least I think, if I understand what you are describing. I put the leash around my neck with the two ends dangling to the front of my body; then I take the two ends and clip them behind my back at the small of my back. Either clip to the material of the handle or put the handle through the snap completely if it fits.

I'm not saying that a d- or o-ring isn't a snazzy feature, I'm just not understanding why you can't hook pretty much any leash around your body.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I have a small dog and use a thin leash with a small snap. The material of the handle of the leash can't fit in the snap which is why I like the D ring. I was just sprised when I started searching for leather that almost none of those leashes had that feature. I'm looking to buy a long lasting long term leash and collar so I want to make sure to get what is going to work best for me. I did look at the police leads but I think they have too many rings for me. I really just need the one maybe two max.

I didn't I really like that leash and the collars but I think all of the collars are too big for my dog I need to email them to see the range of the collar that's 16"

I didn't I really like that leash and the collars but I think all of the collars are too big for my dog I need to email them to see the range of the collar that's 16"
    I haven't bought anything from them in a while, but they used to do custom orders for a pretty reasonable price. Might be worth asking if they still do.

I didn't I really like that leash and the collars but I think all of the collars are too big for my dog
    How much does your pup weigh? I use exclusively leather leashes and collars for a very 'light in the mouth' 8lb Pap and a 'dead to the aids' 17lb mix.

my dog is 15lbs and her neck measures around 12inches but she is 7 months old so I want a little room for growth. I did email bridgeport equipment to see if they would custom make her a collar. I also really like their tab's with the rings for hiking this summer and agility

Call Eli at bartville, they can make you what you want. I'm always having them make custom items for me and m clients. They are always happy to help.