The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Loose hay along the side of the road

Hypothetical question - you're driving down a rural road on the way to the barn and you see along the side of the road that someone lost some hay and it's loose laying along the side of the road. The hay isn't the best quality stemmy and somewhat brown. Would you stop and pick it up and take it back to the barn and feed it to your own personal horses and your boarder's horses? Personally I wouldn't but curious what others might do.

If I was driving my truck and it looked like it was fairly recently dropped and not rained on I would. If it is crap hay I don't need it as I have plenty of bedding type hay from cleaning up after my goats.

People are always losing hay along the roads here, but I am always in the car so if it was pick-up-worthy I couldn't take it anyways.

No, I would not feed it to my horse, or any other horses – you know nothing about the hay. Maybe it was accidently spray with chemicals or god knows what.

In short – no, I don’t pick random things off the ground and eat it myself or feed it to my animals!

8 members found this post helpful.

If I lived somewhere that was having a hay shortage, than maybe, otherwise no. The amount of hay I am imagining just wouldn't be worth my time...and if it were a bigger quantity, I would assume the owner would be coming back for it.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

1 members found this post helpful.

I've thought about it before but not knowing anything about the hay, where it came from etc I just can't make myself take the risk.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

A few years ago a good samaritan in the area found 9 2 string bales on the side of the road and brought them to where I keep my horses. I was a little flummoxed about a stranger trespassing, but he meant no harm. I did NOT feed the mystery hay to my horses for reasons already stated, but I did know someone who was hurting for hay so I gave it them with full disclosure and they were very grateful.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Or... you could do what some kind soul did when a bale of hay got jarred off of my truck when I hit a pot hole, and that is to pick it up and follow me until he could get my attention to return it to me.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

8 members found this post helpful.

No.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My hay man was involved in an accident which flipped his trailer on an on ramp- many of the square bales were damaged and several good samaratins helped load the awkward mess into other trucks and move it several miles to a horse rescue who really needed it. It's a different story because this was hay headed to the track- not some "found" mystery hay.

Point #2... the person who lost the hay might discover that they lost some and come back to get it.

I once ran a quick errand into town and when I got to town discovered that my truck tailgate was down... OMG... my brain was racing as I didn't *think* my husband had unloaded a roll of woven wire out of the back- but I wasn't sure- and there was no roll of woven wire currently in the truck. My heart just sunk to think of some happpy hillbillies finding several hundred dollars worth of my new fencing on the side of the road..I drove home scanning all the ditches and just feeling sick about having to tell my husband what I'd done... and just as I got to my driveway- there it lay right in the middle of the drive- it had rolled out just as I'd first eased up onto the road.

4 members found this post helpful.

Probably. I stopped for some nice looking straw one time.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I would like to think I'm the kind of person who would pick it up and look around to see if there is a horse farm nearby that may have dropped it. If I couldn't find it I would probably take it back and feed it out.

One time DH was moving hay down the road a bit and noticed when he got back to the farm that around 10 bales had fallen off. He went back the way he came to find the hay and when he found it his dad was already there (he had randomly come across it on his way home) and told DH to get the free hay loaded up before someone came looking for it He was pretty bummed when he found out we had already paid for it.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

2 members found this post helpful.

I lost 3 bales within 5 miles from my house. (Yes I saw it fall but knew I couldn't reload it based on how it fell from the stack.) By the time I carefully got home and got into the van and went back for it, it was gone!!

Heck no! There is no way to know what could be in the hay. Just because it's a hay bale doesn't mean it is at all suitable for horses! I'd leave it.

Even if I was somehow sure that it would be ok to feed, I still wouldn't do it because the person that lost it will probably realize and come back for it.

Yeah - along with not knowing what the heck might of happened to it - it isn't yours, and the rightful owner may be looking for it.

Funny story,
    One day Mr pc and I where driving thru a part of the country that sells alot of veggies, and where lots of horse people pick up carrots. We saw that someone was losing their load, there were carrots all over the road for several miles.
    We didn't stop to pick any up....thinking it would be cheap and kinda hillbilly to do it.

talking to my B-I-L later that week, he proudly told us that he had picked up pounds and pounds of carrots off that same stretch of road...obviously he didn't feel weird about it!

Or, it could be like my former neighbor, who put a couple old bales of hay out in a small swale I guess to block runoff. He'd have to keep putting new ones out there because people would steal them. He didn't understand, he'd put old bales out and they were in mud too... he couldn't figure out who would take them. My mom was the one who took the first two but she never fessed up! (she had taken them for mulch, she thought they fell off someone's truck too) Now I never take anything off the side of the road unless I'm really sure it's not there for a reason!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Not a hay story but I was driving down a street and saw a shipping boot, drove a little further and found 3 more. I traveled a bit more and saw a black sheet. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, it was raining horse clothing. On the same road is a horse farm that hosts shows, so I dropped the gear off at the information booth. They recognized the name on the sheet and promised to notify the family.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeclipper View Post
    Not a hay story but I was driving down a street and saw a shipping boot, drove a little further and found 3 more. I traveled a bit more and saw a black sheet. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, it was raining horse clothing. On the same road is a horse farm that hosts shows, so I dropped the gear off at the information booth. They recognized the name on the sheet and promised to notify the family.
    I really hope it was all left on a trailer fender or something 'cause the thought of the horse slowly stripping it all off and chucking it over the back ramp/out a window is making me laugh too much for my current excruciating chest cold!

Ditto the others on the hay: in addition to not knowing what's in it or who cut it or how it was cured, it belongs to someone. Someone might not come back for one or two bales if it was off a giant tractor load (someone with 25 $8 bales in the back of a truck certainly would!) if you're finding more than that someone will definitely be back to look for it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    Or, it could be like my former neighbor, who put a couple old bales of hay out in a small swale I guess to block runoff. He'd have to keep putting new ones out there because people would steal them. He didn't understand, he'd put old bales out and they were in mud too... he couldn't figure out who would take them. My mom was the one who took the first two but she never fessed up! (she had taken them for mulch, she thought they fell off someone's truck too) Now I never take anything off the side of the road unless I'm really sure it's not there for a reason!!!
    Sounds like my BO. The air conditioner in his wife's restaurant sticks out into the parking area. He kept hanging a towel to warn drivers. They kept bringing into the restaurant. He finally hung a halter there and it stayed for the rest of the summer.

Many years ago, I was driving to work one morning (in heels and a suit!) and came across a bale of hay in the middle of Snickersville Tpk which is in a very horsey area. It needed to be moved if nothing else to avoid causing an accident so I stopped my car and picked up the bale. It was THE most BEAUTIFUL bale of alfalfa I had ever seen so I stuck it in the trunk of my Corolla and went off to work. My pregnant mare loved it. I'm afraid it never occurred to me that it might not be healthy to feed it to her but all's well that ends well.