The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter fashion?

I was hoping you all could give me some tips on what is in hunter fashion right now. I'm not totally clueless, but I've only shown a couple of times in the past six years, and its clear some of my stuff is outdated!

In addition, if there was one thing I was going to update in my look, what do you recommend? I am just going to be doing a schooling show, but its at a well-known barn, so most people will be turned out very well. I am planning to wear my Charles Owen Wellington Pro, a light blue show shirt from Marigold, a navy plaid Grand Prix jacket with pink lining, and tan Tailored Sportsmans (the old cut). Obviously not changing my custom boots.

Also saddle pads -- are half pads passe now? I think a full sheepskin pad is beyond my law student's budget!
    ~*Paige*~

Your attire sounds fine. You don't see colored shirts very often (white is the current "thing"), but a light blue is always appropriate. If you just want to update, I'd just buy some fun white wrap collar shirts.

I always liked showing in just a half pad, but that fell out of favor fast. No need to splurge on an expensive sheepskin pad. My barn just has a ton of these: http://www.smartpakequine.com/wilker...x?cm_vc=Search

Everything you have is perfectly acceptable, especially for a schooling show. Still, If you want to update your look, washable jackets in the new technical fabrics (pick a very conservative one for the hunters) and the wrap collar show shirts (no separate collar) are a couple of suggestions. The Euro style breech, either low or mid-rise, is also very popular, both front and side zips, and there are millions of new helmets out there too. I don't show but I don't think half pads are very popular in the hunters although I might be wrong. Also, instead of a real sheepskin fitted pad, the majority of hunters show in the synthetic white fleece (Wilkers for example) pads.

Have fun!

No that's perfect turnout, even at an A show that would be fine! What's gone out is the green-tan TS and boots that aren't quite tall enough.
    The light blue show shirt is more put aside in favor of a white snap collar now, but don't go out and buy a new shirt, it's fine just not the height of fashion. If by the old cut you mean flare at the hips, then it's out, but if you just mean no euroseat, whatever, then it's fine. Full sheepskin are more popular, as are the less expensive fleece/fake sort of pads, but technically half pads are acceptable, and I see it occasionally in the ponies. The CO is fine, and navy is always in style.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

oops double post.

Your turnout sounds fine, and I agree, I'd go with a fitted pad. I do think the washable jackets look cheap, though. Just my opinion, but I haven't seen any that I like.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Uh oh! I'm not sure I'm happy I saw this thread. I haven't shown in over 8 years and last year did a handful of very basic local shows where appearance didn't matter. This weekend I'm moving my horse to a more elite show farm. My budget will be tight paying for new facility but it sounds like I am SOL when it comes to attire. My old farm said you MUST have a sheepskin half pad so I went and bought one. I did purchase a pair of Ariat Pro Circuit breeches last year because they were one of the only pair that fit, but honestly I still like the higher waisted TS with roomier hips, probably because I'm built like a human pear. If someone could give me a quick "this is what you need" I would really appreciate it as well. Now I'm more nervous than ever with my move to this new farm!

@Anmoro: if you like the TS but don't want to pay that money for show and schooling breeches, look at the Ovation breeches. That's what I personally wear to school in a lot and I like them. I would suggest you get a plain (or conservatively pinstriped/etc) navy or black hunt coat if you don't already have one. I also suggest that you do get a show pad that's fitted, but wait until you get to the new barn because some show barns use communal things. Number one though is a pair of tall boots that fit you correctly, my biggest pet peeve is badly fitting boots. Also a white show shirt for eq and hunter classic days.

Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    Uh oh! I'm not sure I'm happy I saw this thread. I haven't shown in over 8 years and last year did a handful of very basic local shows where appearance didn't matter. This weekend I'm moving my horse to a more elite show farm. My budget will be tight paying for new facility but it sounds like I am SOL when it comes to attire. My old farm said you MUST have a sheepskin half pad so I went and bought one. I did purchase a pair of Ariat Pro Circuit breeches last year because they were one of the only pair that fit, but honestly I still like the higher waisted TS with roomier hips, probably because I'm built like a human pear. If someone could give me a quick "this is what you need" I would really appreciate it as well. Now I'm more nervous than ever with my move to this new farm!
    I think the old cut TS breeches are still nicer, personally. But that's just it, go with whatever's more comfortable. I'm not going to buy euroseat breeches just to fit in and spend all my time worrying about how uncomfortable I am in them. My suggestion is to wait until you move and upgrade what you feel is completely out dated once you get there. This year my plan is to upgrade my helmet, whether I can actually afford to or not has yet to be seen, but it's the next big thing on the list. Unless you have vast wealth, it's going to be hard to keep up with the girls who can afford the latest trend. Focus on your riding, work within your means, and as far as your own attire goes, so long as it's safe and riding appropriate, wear what you feel comfortable in.

1 members found this post helpful.

Worry about what the judges will think and not about the peanut gallery standing by the rail.

2 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Generally I find that you can purchase great quality riding stuff through eBay, TOC, Premier Tack, etc. There is no need to pay retail. We have a great local consignment place where I've gotten several items - all but one new with the tags still on them - for less than half of what I would have paid in a regular retail store.

You can show anywhere in a good quality pair of tan breeches, a white shirt and a navy coat. The key is to have everything spotlessly clean and fitted correctly.

For example:

Essex shirt - diff colors/sizes ... brand new in the original packaging: $45
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Essex-Classi...item33726c41d2

Grand Prix navy hunt coat: currently $110
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grand-Prix-H...item460c565d72

Pikeur tan breeches: currently $61
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIKEUR-CIARA...item460c29456e

None of those are my items - I just did a quick search on those well known, quality brands and picked a few examples.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

I am anything but cheap (as my husband can attest), but I refuse to buy any of my riding stuff at full retail - Horses just love to spit on me too much. I use coupons from local tack store or wait and watch for the semi-annual/annual sales and then stock up. I also go to consignment stores, but I haven't had alot of luck there.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Worry about what the judges will think and not about the peanut gallery standing by the rail.
    While judges don't care, a lot of people simply like following trends. There's no harm in that. I wouldn't feel as confident about myself or my horse if I was wearing an old Troxel helmet, cotton-stretchy breeches and poorly fitting boots, so why not seek out things that make me feel like I look good?

5 members found this post helpful.

Another great shirt if you want wrap collar without the $$$ is the HRH shirts. I just got DD a lilac to go along with her white. They are less than $40, coolmax and very nice fabric. Check them out at victorycanter.com.

Also, the fitted pads are what you'll see most in. The synthetic ones (wilkers, roma, etc.) are available for less than $50 brand new and come in sizes & shapes to fit about any saddle. I also find them used all the time.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Thanks everyone! I picked up a new saddle pad today. I would love a new shirt, but I'm having a hard time justifying it because (a) this might be the only show I get to do for a couple years and (b) its February, so I am going to be so bundled up that the fun collar lining of whatever I would get would go completely unnoticed.
    ~*Paige*~