The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Dover website issues

I have been trying to place an order on Dover's website since Sunday, and keep having issues. I was just wondering if anyone else out there was also having problems. I don't really like ordering from them in the first place, but they are having such a good sale and I have some items that I can no longer hold off on purchasing.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

...since, like, the beginning of time.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

Well...aside from the normal issues.

What is happening to me, is that I go to view my cart, and I keep getting redirected to the home page. So, I can not look at my cart or make changes to my order. This is so irritating, and I have tried this on 2 separate computers.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Just call.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Just call.
    Since I hate ordering from anyone on line, I always call. I just tell them I'm using the web site to order from. Never a problem.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Just call.
    Well, obviously. I was just checking to see if anyone else was having issues.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Not sure about the cart issues, but I logged in yesterday to add something to my wish list and discovered that the whole thing had been wiped out. Frustrating to say the least.

I placed an order with them on Sun and didn't have a problem.

Absolutely worst website. Awful.

My peeve with them (if I may vent, please) is that their close out stuff has a different item # than the regular price of the same item. So, you can't search for close out stuff by name, you have to search by the item #. I saw something in the close out catalog I wanted, threw the catalog away, searched for it by name, and the full price item came up, not on sale. so some items have 2 item #s basically.

This is either a ploy so you just end up paying full price, or it's a stupid website design. Just mark it on sale! Keep It the same item #!

5 members found this post helpful.

I seem to remember this happening in the past. If you don't have the new number you pay the-old price. I was aware of this and wasted all sorts of time checking that the item I was purchasing had not been marked down.

Bad business!!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Long time customer here. The only time I had a problem ordering from them online was for a monogrammed saddle cover. Otherwise everything has been fine.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I have had ocassional problems w/ the website - when that happens, I call. To be honest, Dover has such great customer service, even if their website sucks, so I keep buying from them. They don't run their website, it is some contracted out service from what I can gather.

their website totes sux....so I just call my local Dover. Or order from Smartpak, because the website is awesome and the customer service is stellar!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Absolutely worst website. Awful.

My peeve with them (if I may vent, please) is that their close out stuff has a different item # than the regular price of the same item. So, you can't search for close out stuff by name, you have to search by the item #. I saw something in the close out catalog I wanted, threw the catalog away, searched for it by name, and the full price item came up, not on sale. so some items have 2 item #s basically.

This is either a ploy so you just end up paying full price, or it's a stupid website design. Just mark it on sale! Keep It the same item #!
    This is their standard way of doing things. It is not just on close out stuff. It is on anything that is on sale at all.
    It is nothing short of bad business practice.
    You should be able to go to the web site and get whatever the sale price is and not have to have some super secret prefix for the item.

I ordered a trailer cover last week and it was actually shipped out promptly and arrived early...I was quite surprised.

I haven't ordered from them in years, but I think what they do is create a prefix for each item to tie into whatever ad/catalog you are looking at. So if the item at full price is 12345, then it could be a-12345 for $5 less for a flyer, b-12345 for $10 less for a clearance on-line, etc. I got so aggravated by that "strategy" that I quit bothering with them. Give me SmartPak any day, or Adams, or any one of a number of smaller tack shops and saddlerys.

2 members found this post helpful.

Ditto to the above posters who recommended Smartpak. I don't order from Dover at all amymore - their shipping prices are so high & then the whole debacle of different prices for the same product. In addition, none of the sale items are in stock. Grrr

Thanks everyone.

I have never had issues with their website in the past, and I usually have the catalog in hand and type in the order #...which bugs me that I have to do that.

Unfortunately, Smartpak doesn't have everything I need for this order, so I need to order those items from Dover. I am 4+ hours away from the closest Dover store, so no luck in just going to the store (which is really what I prefer).
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

I am still waiting for my $10 Gift Certificate promised because I renewed my USDF dues online months and months ago. Hopeless to ask either one since both point the fingers at each other.

I won't order anything from Dover anymore, period. Their shipping prices are exorbitant, their sale/closeout pricing is basically a big scam, and I've had several very awful customer service experiences. Not to mention that atrocious website. There's no excuse for it... whether they contract it out or not, they are responsible for it. That said, I actually really enjoy my local Dover store and have had good experiences there.