The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Dodge or Ford?

The job? Travel long distances in a single trip while pulling either a 3 horse with LQ, or a 4 horse with LQ.

DD has a 2003 Dodge dually quad cab with 175000 miles. It had a rebuild on the auto tranny before she bought it and it has a rough shift. Also has a more than normal whine from the turbo. Otherwise it pulls great and is a pleasant ride when towing.

I think it may need to be the stay at home, hooked to the bumper pull emergency trailer, while a newer truck hits the road.

I have noticed that Ford says their truck has 400 HP and more torq than the Dodge that claims 350 HP.

Truck experts discuss please!

Ford.

Every single person I personally know who hauls with a Dodge has had to replace the tranny. Sometimes more than once.

1 members found this post helpful.

New or used of those two trucks?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm going to say Dodge, with a small caveat.

I owned a Ford towing vehicle, and a Ford car, and my former assistant had a top of the line Ford towing vehicle. Based on our experiences, I would not purchase a Ford vehicle if they were the last car company on the face of the earth. Those vehicles left me/us/her stranded more times than I can even count.

That being said, I can't totally discount the tranny issue with the Dodges. I have a Ram 3500 V10, with about 75,000 miles on it, and it has (knock on wood)never let me down or stranded me, and has needed little more than basic care, BUT the one thing I have had to do some work on is the tranny. Not a full replacement or rebuild, but enough for me to acknowledge that it is clearly the truck's weak spot.
    That being said, It's still 1000 times more reliable than any of the Fords I've had.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

FORD! They have yet to let me down while hauling!

Ford.

I was considering purchasing a Dodge for the fuel mileage, which does tend to be better than Ford, and I spoke with an unbiased mechanic (doesn't work for a dealer, independent garage) and he said they are still seeing many Dodge trucks with tranny problems, even the newer models that shouldn't have ANY problems yet.

His advice was to stick with Ford or GM for towing, adn steer clear of the Dodges until they can prove they have built a tranny that lasts.

I currently haul with a 2008 F-150 FX4 that has the 5.4L V8 and he said I'd have better luck with that than a Dodge 3/4 ton.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Ford.

I was considering purchasing a Dodge for the fuel mileage, which does tend to be better than Ford, and I spoke with an unbiased mechanic (doesn't work for a dealer, independent garage) and he said they are still seeing many Dodge trucks with tranny problems, even the newer models that shouldn't have ANY problems yet.

His advice was to stick with Ford or GM for towing, adn steer clear of the Dodges until they can prove they have built a tranny that lasts.

I currently haul with a 2008 F-150 FX4 that has the 5.4L V8 and he said I'd have better luck with that than a Dodge 3/4 ton.
    This is good advice! I have a Duramax, but if I were going to buy a new truck this is the mind set I would follow.

I have had nothing but problems with any Ford I have ever owned car or truck. I have one now that is in the shop for something serious $$$ at least once a year. As soon as I get regular work. I will be getting a Chevy and getting rid of that POS.

My riding buddies have Dodge or Chevy and will steer you away from Ford for the same reason I will not have another, too many problems.

Chevy. Owned one Dodge, will never own another. Had a Ford Ranger, didn't use it to tow, it was okay, but I have had a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup (loved it!) and three Suburbans (two were 1/2 tons, current is a 3/4 ton.) Love the Chevys. Or GM.

Older Dodge with Cummins diesel... with a replacement Allison transmission.

(That said, I've got a 2002 Dodge diesel sitting out there with over 100,000 miles and the original transmission. Never thought that would happen!)

The new truck is a Ford, however.

My only advice is not to by the first model year of anything with major changes, and drive both of them and see which you find more comfortable since you'll be taking long trips.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Thanks everyone so far. Here is a bit more info.

This would be a new 2012 cab and chassis truck.

Dodge is running a different tranny in the 2012 trucks

We were left stranded 4,000 miles from home by a 2000 F350 with less than 40,000 miles on it. I contacted the Ford head office and was told to tamp sand, not their problem. So a little sour with Ford, although I drove one to Cali last year and it did an excellent job!

Our main pulling truck is a Freightliner business class. It has a cummins and the Allison tranny and has been trouble free so far. DD is home from her adventures and we have another rider in the house, so more horses will be going on the trips from now on.

If you can get a Chevy Cummings/Allison combo I think you'd be happy with it.

That said, DH and I have had something along the lines of 12 Ford vehicles between us over our driving careers and we have never once had one break down on us, from the Focus to the Thunderbird to the trucks. We've upgraded the trucks and swapped around the cars and heaven only knows how many miles we've put on them, HARD miles in the mountains towing 20 foot steel trailers on bumpy roads, hauling hay, delivering papers on dirt roads, and they're tough. We stick with Fords.

Dodge- I will NEVER own a Ford again.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

2 members found this post helpful.

Total Ford fan here. I have had such good luck with them I just cant bring myself to buy something else. I look but when it comes down to it, I can only do Ford. Not proud of it but I have put them in places I shouldn't have and hauled in some pretty extreame situations, kicked the crap out of them, and they have been for me extreamly reliable and tough.

2 members found this post helpful.

Dodge or GM. never a Ford for several reasons ranging from piss poor customer care to exceedingly uncomfortable seating. Friends of mine have a Dodge V10 and have had it for years, and put loads of miles on it with a heavy load as they go to Arizona every winter. Most vehicles in this area are GM or Dodge, rarely Fords and most have the same complaint about Ford - hard on the back and legs on a long haul.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Dodge - Ford's lack of service on a truck under warranty killed me for ever buying a ford again. Yes, we've had some issues with tranny on our older Dodge (1998) but it's still going and has tons of miles on it. In fact just drove it to Ontario from BC for my newphew to own and he's already put 8000 km on it since November.

We have 2 other dodges as well. Another one ton (2005) and I think at 2008 5500. Service is much better. The ford we had spent 5 months of the 14 months we owned it in the garage.

Nancy!

Sounds like even though I'm a Ford girl, GM products haven't had any trashing here. Perhaps you should look into one of those!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2011 F250. If that truck is moving then it is either pulling a horse trailer, a flatbed full of hay or has a big load of something in the bed. It has 25K miles and hauls great.

The 2011 F250 came with a 6.2L V8 option that puts out about 390 HP.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Ford, I own two fords, an F150 for smaller, 2h bp, and an F250 with V10 for 4h w/lq. F250 has 115,000 miles, F150 has 165,000. Have owned both from brand new, NEVER had a problem, EVER... with either one of them. knock on some wood. Plan to give the F150 to DD next year and replace with a Raptor.

Had a Chevy 1500 before the Fords, and it started breaking down with 65,000 miles on it.

My hubby is car nut and putters endlessly on the weekends to maintain the vehicles...

Ford--the diesel engines last forever (or thereabouts )
    I LOVE my Chickens!