The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default More Stupid ?

so just got my 2nd OTTB, restarting his life as a jumper. Before the last 8 months I've never known anything about racing other than a cousin who has had a couple in the Kentucky Derby.

I started to read the sticky y'all have at the top, but I think it started with a bit more knowledge already needed! LIke I have no clue what the difference between a Stake and an Allowance are (though I do know what a claiming is) and why you would run a horse in these different types.

don't expect y'all to teach me. Just hoping you could send me to a book or something that would say, hay idiot, this is how it works, without any drama. I know plenty about the bad side, but I've been lucky enough in the last 8 months to meet some wonderful track people, to know you aren't all bad So help a girl out. Where do I find out about racing 101.

Thanks.

Stakes races, especially graded stakes, are the cream (so to speak). More money, more prestige.

General info:
    http://www.dmtc.com/handicapping/beginners.php

Information on the grading process:
    http://www.toba.org/graded-stakes/cr...ideration.aspx

Which horses did your cousin have in the Kentucky Derby?
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

I'll have to ask again, she's had a couple. She also ran a couple fillies in the filly race that happens the same weekend (for some reason I remember this mare http://www.pedigreequery.com/tiffany+lass) and I still have the pic of her winning a big prestigious race somewhere, that I don't know the name of! Her name is marie jones (AAron U. Jones is her husband) and she's had thoroughbreds for I don't know how long (long before I was born) but I think most of her recent horses were bought in groups rather than her personal horses she bred like before.

ETA: Thanks for the links, I didn't even know the words to look up in Google!
    Last edited by hrford; Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM.

I looked it up, since I can't find the picture, and it was the Kentucky Oaks I have a picture of her winning, somewhere. . .

Wow, that's neat. They've had some real good ones!

You should call her up with your questions, she certainly would be able to help you out.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Honestly until last night when I started doing some research I didn't realize how into racing they really were. I wrote her an email today.

1 members found this post helpful.