The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Help! My horse is not lame/but weird

So I had another user name but I forgot the password.. but I primarily search around and rarely post. Anyway, I have been battling some kind of weird lameness with my horse for the past year or so. I have had a variety of tests done (an entire list is available, it is long), but for the most part, she drops her right hip when I trot. Thats WHEN I can ride, which is rarely. I rode last summer for about 3 months before she was unrideable. She will swish her tail, pin her ears, and just generally not go forward.

Just a few days ago she started walking down from her paddock unusually. Can someone give me an idea of whats going on here?

Ive tested her for lymes (four times) had her teeth done, had her back checked, SI injected, rest, gluteal muscle injected with steroid (came up on bone scan, which was also done), ovaries ultrasounded, multiple lameness exams (she trots sound by appearance).. theres a few more. If needed I can go into further detail.

https://www.facebook.com/nicole.volk...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/nicole.volk...type=3&theater

The videos should work, I made them public.

Find a new vet and repeat the lameness exam. Dropping the hip in the trot is an unsoundness. The horse looks quite lame in the videos.

I'd put a good neuro exam high on the list.

2 members found this post helpful.

Looks like a pelvis fracture or neuro.

But something is wrong.

I checked your other videos, and this horse always been a little funky but not that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Find a new vet and repeat the lameness exam. Dropping the hip in the trot is an unsoundness. The horse looks quite lame in the videos.

I'd put a good neuro exam high on the list.
    Ditto Simkie.

You're not that far from New Bolton. Depending on finances and how badly you want to get to the bottom of this, you could send her there. The neurologist there is excellent.

Something is very wrong in her hind end. I'd wager on something neuro. Definitely time to find a new vet and do some workups.

She's not right in either hind limb. She slaps her feet down. Worse on right hind. Def pursue a neuro exam.

I'd have a good neurologist look at her. I saw another video where you say it's when you ask her to bend.
    Has her neck been Xrayed?
    What does she do in a tight circle?

Definitely time for a second opinion, especially since you have done so much and she's still off.

Just for comparison, here is my mare after an ultrasound confirmed a chronic swelling in her LH suspensory. She had surgery on it a few weeks later. Along the way through her recovery, other issues in her hind end were discovered, she had one mild neuro episode that may or may not have been EPM, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1V9kF5j_s

She's basically sound now (5 years later) with a LOT of very expensive maintenance, enough that I regularly consider retiring her in hopes that she would be comfortable with less if she was not being worked.

To my eye, your mare looks worse at this point. I am thinking neuro just because of how she moves her hind end, but I'm not an expert in anything but "one horse's on and off hind end issues."
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

OK, so why do you think she's not lame? She's very lame, as other people described. Good luck getting her seen by a good lameness vet (not the one who has been seeing her to date, obviously).

Her left hind slapping the ground, you can watch how she is almost hunching through her back, the hesitation of her front end, there's much going on, have no idea what, whether hip, back, SI, tendons, who knows.

Also, that's a really overweight fat horse. It can't be helping her situation!
    They snooze, they munch hay -- oh the abuse! The humanity!!! Won't someone think of the children! - rhymeswithfizz

I wouldn't 100% rule out pelvic fracture but that doesn't look like any I've seen.. Have you tested her for EPM or PSSM/EPSM?

If you are close to NBC, I would go there, start with the basics, and see where it leads. There are some excellent lameness groups in Va, as well.

Hind end lameness can be difficult to assess, with just a naked eye.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I just watched the rest of your videos -- the one with her long-lining is the most telling. Have you checked her hocks in depth? Back-pain is definitely there but usually it can be caused by something else, IME when it's not KS or SI issues it is secondary to something else, usually hocks. Good for you for doing everything you've done so far.. good luck and keep us updated.

Hi! I'm sorry, let me specify: She IS lame. I know shes lame, but if you trot her/flex her/xray her, she looks and sounds perfectly sound. Pavement, bluestone, rubber/sand mix, big circles little circles you name it. None of the vets ive used so far have been able to pin point a problem area to block or examine except for her SI which was painful upon palpation. A bone scan showed a "pulled" right gluteal muscle. Xrays have been done of her hocks and she shows mild arthritis but ALL of her issues have improved with a bit of cosequin.

It's hard for me to say what she does when turned in a tight circle. I'm there by myself usually, so its tough to turn her and get a look at the whole picture. But I will try it. I have pulled her tail and she just got annoyed, not off balance.

I'm just looking for ideas of where to go next. Absolutely I am going to get a neuro exam. That was what concerned me most. She has not had her neck checked out because nothing had seemed apparent there but I will mention that. On the long lining video, it definitely was worse if I tried to bend her (either direction) but mostly to the right. The majority of her problem seems to be on the right side of her body.

I have not tested her for EPM yet, or EPSM. I am considering changing her diet to see if it helps, right now she is muzzled for turn out (about 8-9 hours) gets two flakes of timothy at night, and 2 handfuls of wellsolve l/s twice per day. I'm just worried about that because when she isn't in work, she puts weight on easily and right now I think she is at a good place for not being worked.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions, hopefully I can make an appointment and get her back to the clinic and get a few more eyes on her with a neuro test.

I just want to point out too that this funky walk showed up just this week. As of friday (yesterday) she seemed quite better, she would only slap down her right hind.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

When you did the bone scan, did you have the whole horse done? If something was going on in the neck, that might have shown up.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    When you did the bone scan, did you have the whole horse done? If something was going on in the neck, that might have shown up.
    I did, I still have the images in my email so I'll check to make sure. That's what I paid for at least. That was done back in sept and she was significantly better than she is now. So I am thinking of repeating it with a different hospital.

Good luck, and I hope you get to the bottom of whatever this is! It seems like you're trying to do right by your girl. Jingles for you.