The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    ha S1969 ... we will have to tackle naughty mares together! lol...
    trainer has fallen in love with a low ported mullen dee ring that she thinks will be perfect for her. Unfortunately it has to be ordered from the Netherlands. We'll see if the mullen happy mouth helps and then take it from there.

My daughter rides in the pony hunters so she is very capable and secure in seat, but this pony has just learned that she can just pull the reins right out through this head shaking move. A normal rooting move we'd know how to deal with. She's also very sensitive, heck she is a TB mare.... so I do think the bit will have alot to do with it, she may just hate the snaffle action bits, i would not be surprised.

So this is the plan determined with your feedback and my trainers

1. Try the mullen happy mouth, which is only available in a loose ring in pony size (and full cheek but we don't want FC)
    2. Ride in a flash noseband
    3. Lunging remine in side reins
    4. Teeth done on Monday
    5. Chiro out on 2/12 to work on the TMJ and poll issues again
    6. If we think she likes the mullen mouth, this is the bit we'd get to show her in:
    http://www.xcellentrider.com/index.p...roducts_id=510
    Sounds like a good plan. Solid mouth or double jointed (french link) bits do work best for my gal as opposed to single jointed snaffles, so I like the bits you're trying. We had initially thought teeth or TMJ pain were the issue, but neither panned out. Her regular vet plus two different vets that specialize in chiro said no way that was the problem. Good luck!

thanks, we have her in a french link now but it's not any better than the plain snaffles, so interested to see how she likes the mullen mouth.

thanks, we have her in a french link now but it's not any better than the plain snaffles, so interested to see how she likes the mullen mouth.
    Mayaty, my (1/2 Arab) pony mare has a defiant head shaking issue, it's very common in Arabians when they are green, it's her go-to evasion. She hates French link or double jointed bits, but the HM DUO didn't work at all for her either. Her "magic bit" has turned out to be the Myler comfort dee-ring, I bought a pony size from Just for Ponies. It hasn't fixed her attitude completely, but riding her in it is radically better in many ways. definitely a great bit to have around to try for the small mouthed and sensitive types.

ha S1969 ... we will have to tackle naughty mares together! lol...
    trainer has fallen in love with a low ported mullen dee ring that she thinks will be perfect for her. Unfortunately it has to be ordered from the Netherlands. We'll see if the mullen happy mouth helps and then take it from there.

My daughter rides in the pony hunters so she is very capable and secure in seat, but this pony has just learned that she can just pull the reins right out through this head shaking move. A normal rooting move we'd know how to deal with. She's also very sensitive, heck she is a TB mare.... so I do think the bit will have alot to do with it, she may just hate the snaffle action bits, i would not be surprised.

So this is the plan determined with your feedback and my trainers

1. Try the mullen happy mouth, which is only available in a loose ring in pony size (and full cheek but we don't want FC)
    2. Ride in a flash noseband
    3. Lunging regimen in side reins
    4. Teeth done on Monday
    5. Chiro out on 2/12 to work on the TMJ and poll issues again
    6. If we think she likes the mullen mouth, this is the bit we'd get to show her in:
    http://www.xcellentrider.com/index.p...roducts_id=510
    This sounds like a good plan to hopefully prevent or eliminate it, but maybe think up a back-up plan of how to deal with the head shaking if she still does after those steps?

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    This sounds like a good plan to hopefully prevent or eliminate it, but maybe think up a back-up plan of how to deal with the head shaking if she still does after those steps?

Backup plan is jumper ring

thought I'd update a bit on our head shaking chestnut mare

1. had her teeth done, checked out fine
    2. changed bit to a mullen mouth happy mouth... which she seems to like better, but does not eliminate the head shaking. Working on getting a dee ring Beris bit with low port, when it comes on the slow boat from Germany
    3. Riding in a flash attachment... not sure it's made a difference but good for schooling anyway
    4. Had chiro/accupuncture done today. Vet says her atlas and jaw, both left side are still sore. Pony only head shakes when going to the left... lightbulb moment there.

So... not sure what to do with all that, but I think the net net is that it's pain related... anyone else have this problem?