The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need tall boots shipped or delivered overseas

Hi COTHers! I'm currently working overseas (Asia) and not planning to be back in North America for a while, but NEED a new pair of boots! Does anyone know of a tack store/company that ships internationally for less than an extra hundred bucks? I'm going a bit nuts here!
    ~please recycle~

Do you have a friend who could have the boots shipped to them in North America, then ship them over to you? Otherwise you are going to get stuck paying import taxes and probably hefty shipping fees.

I'd really prefer not to- my bank here charges unreal rates for international wire transfers, so sending someone money plus the shipping would be less helpful than it seems. I keep looking for vendors that ship internationally! I found one in the UK that will add 90 pounds to the price tag, which may be my last resort

Tack shops here have crazy markups
    ~please recycle~

Could you send money through PayPal?
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

PayPal or Western Union, both which allow you to send money online without having to pay huge fees, should be your best bet. Certainly cheaper than 90GBP or a wire transfer via your bank.

Many US banks now have "pay a person" that is free rather than wiring money. You just put in the person's cell number or email address, the amount you want to send. It's pretty easy. Not sure about Canadian banks, but if you could open an account in the US and start putting some money in there, US Bank offers this service for sure.

Typically, when my brother orders stuff, he has it shipped to me and I ship it to him in Germany. Same for some of my Canadian friends. That's probably your best bet.

Unless you're ordering from a small ma & pa type shop, it's probably pretty unlikely that you can get anything shipped overseas.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

check eBay.....if you can find something you like, many of them ship overseas or you can find something there perhaps??

Do none of the places like horse.com, horseloverz.com, doversaddlery.com not ship overseas at all?

I'd hit up Reynard Ridge and ask her this question. She lived in China for awhile and probably has all sorts of idea to get tall boots there

Unfortunately no great answers. I used to have everything shipped to my husband's US office and once a quarter or so, he'd travel to the US and bring it all back. My only suggestion would be to check out one of these "re-shipping" companies.

The service they offer means you could order boots from your choice vendor and the re-ship company would then ship to you. I have never used them, though, so I can't recommend one, nor comment on the cost.

http://www.myus.com/
    http://www.reship.com/UI/QuestionsAnswers.aspx
    http://www.reship.com/UI/QuestionsAnswers.aspx

And, one more build. Do you work with an office of people who ever travel to your location? Could you just have the boots shipped to someone who was traveling over and have them pack them for you? Human mules, not just for drug runners any more.

1 members found this post helpful.

I had luck calling a USA tack shop (Briggs Tack Store) directly. They had the item I wanted listed on their website for a good price so I worked out the time difference and called them and asked if I could buy/pay over the phone and if they would ship internationally for me. The girl I dealt with was lovely and packaged it up and dropped it at post office for me. I didn't have any problems. Shipping was $20-40 from memory (paddock boots).
    Last edited by kalidascope; Feb. 1, 2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Added name of store

Depending on where you are, you could potentially have the boots made for you there. Ask around at your barn and see who they recommend.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Do you have a friend back home who would take delivery of the boots and then ship them to you?
    My husband is on a motorcycle forum, and a guy in Australia needed a new helmet. US companies were going to charge him an arm & a leg to ship to AU. He arranged to have the helmet shipped to my husband, who then boxed it up and shipped it to AU for half the cost.

Asia is a big place, but they must have tack available in the Hong Kong area because of the race course. Do you have any way to look there?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry